These cars are not for kids | FerrariChat

These cars are not for kids

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Noblesse Oblige, Aug 30, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
  2. rrobert222

rrobert222 Karting

Aug 31, 2005
    Very sad...I have had many high performance cars and I still wonder in the 458 is too much for me sometimes.

3. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
  4. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Look arouind you - heads, what heads? In the context of the real possibility of a grenade with a deadly virus being tossed into a mall or restuarant and most in a state of denial, we have trained our society to act "after" it is too late. Somehow people seem to believe that independent thought is a bad thing. In the WESTERN WORLD political and social correctness precludes independent thought and learning. As a result trajedy is not anticipated but reacted to. Try that after a car accident or Uzi trajedy. Best

5. Feepay

Feepay Rookie

Oct 21, 2013
    Bucks County , PA
    Full Name:
    Ron Felipe
    Sad. Ironically, i believe the youngest ever F1 driver will make his debut (17yrs) at Monza next week. But F1 cars much safer at high speeds.

6. TopspeedPT

TopspeedPT Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2012
    Portugal
    You can't compare a racing driver to a normal kid.

7. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    And the reaction is the chance to promote your agenda. Usually the object -- not the people -- are deemed the problem. It was the Lambo's fault or the Uzi.

8. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
  9. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    I agree. It certainly can be however, I think maturity lets us know when to hold back long enough for the car to take back control before things go too far. I broke the back end loose a few times and just let off the accelerator and let the nannies regain control.

10. Tampa458

Tampa458 Karting

Aug 9, 2014
    Florida
    After looking at the aftermath of the Lambo, I'm SHOCKED the passenger survived with only "minor injuries".

11. arcangel

arcangel Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2013
    #12 arcangel, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. arcangel

arcangel Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2013
    Traction control

13. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Need better idiot control...........

14. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    +1

Agree. Money can't buy skills.

15. Sir_Ferrari

Sir_Ferrari F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian B.
    There is also a short report about this accident: Ferrari 430 Scuderia and 360 Challenge Stradale Crash in Hong Kong

It's sad to see that there are two great sportscars less on this world

16. herenow

herenow Formula Junior

Apr 21, 2014
    US of A
    I think a young age isn't necessary a deciding factor if someone is a good or bad driver. I started driving high performance vehicles(Ferraris included) since I was younger than this kid. And maybe I am bias but I thought I was a hell of a lot better of a driver than many adults back in the day. I have a friend that started racing Ferrari Challenge at the age of 17 and his brother at 21.... I think if you put someone(regardless of age) behind the wheels of an uber high performance sports car for the first time and he or she is told to push the limit, someone is bound to get hurt.... Sad that it had to happen to this kid, but really could have happened to anyone of any age pushing that sort of car.

17. Stevenb

Stevenb F1 Rookie

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steven
    +1 There is a 17 year old starting in F1 next season

18. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    it's all about experience. My dad used to say you could not be considered a GOOD DRIVER unless you had driven at least 100k miles. And that's a regular car... not high performance.

Most of us have been to high performance driving schools and racing schools...and have many laps on a race track in a controlled environment.

Youth has faster reaction times but experience anticipates more problem situations and has the experience of being able to handle them correctly more often.

Schools and track time are a good investment for young and old alike.

Shiny side up!

19. Petrol

Petrol Karting

Apr 11, 2014
    It's not that young people are necessarily unskilled drivers, it's that young people are more likely to push the limits too far.

20. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Formula 3

Jun 19, 2012
    Probably a good kid, but any inexperienced driver may be over his head in an exotic at high speed. Sound training is vital, but there is also simply no substitute for a lot of miles in sports cars (hopefully, at lower speeds) where things can occasionally go sideways or wrong. Some get that on the track. My years driving cars with trailing throttle oversteer (early Mazda RX7 and Porsche 930) offered plenty of opportunities to learn how to deal with directionally-challenged cars, both on and off the track, and to develop an understanding of the limits of my cars and their driver. Honestly, I am not troubled by an uncle letting his 18-year old nephew drive his Lambo at street legal speed on an open road, but an inexperienced driver taking the car up to high speeds was reckless.

21. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    I let my 17 yr old son drive my 458 spider last week for the first time (I bought car in April and made him wait 6 months before getting to try it). I was in the car and put it in Rain mode.

22. envytheZ06

envytheZ06 Karting

Sep 11, 2010
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Calvin
    Ever since I turned 16 my dad has had no problem handing me the keys to any of his exotics. He has let me take out his 360,16M,458,CGT and never thinks twice. I am 21 now and I have never had an issue with being dangerous in any of the cars. I believe it is more of a maturity factor understanding these cars are fast and not to start testing their limits. Drive it like a normal car on the road and any sensible aged person should have no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    Young people, or should I say young men, are wired to take unnecessary risks and no shouldn't be given keys to a supercar without significant track instructed experience. I did a road trip across Wyoming, Utah and Arizona (your country is magnificent). A guide in Zion National Park told me the highest rate of deaths in Parks (esp the Grand Canyon) is massively weighted to young men. She said some of the stories were shocking and truly tragic.

24. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    You are both fortunate to have the opportunity and mature enough to act responsibly, neither of which is a frequent occurrance. Consider yourself very lucky, and as a compliment, unusually level headed 21 year old. Best