Cool Things Your Ancestors Have Done | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Cool Things Your Ancestors Have Done

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by SMS, May 20, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Some cool posts about family connections to the good the bad and the ugly of history here, but this really stands out IMHO.

Amazing how a simple seamstress (no disrespect intended) was linked to both the darkest and (one of) the brightest moments of 20th century history.

Great little piece of personal history.

2. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    Secretary of Commerce, Postmaster General. Granddad wrote a speech for JFK. Hmmm....

3. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Does this count? my first cousin was a Marine aviator in WWII, flew Dauntless dive bombers, F6F Hellcats and F4U Corsairs in combat all over the South Pacific. Stayed in the reserves after the War, recalled for Korea, flew in combat there, then transferred to Pensacola where he checked out two famous Marine aviators in jets: Jerry Coleman and Ted Williams.

As for me, my date at my fraternity's fall house party weekend way back when was a stunning girl named Tina Myers. You know her as Tina Louise. I know I can't be my own ancestor but can we count that as interesting?

4. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Both great-grandfathers fought for the South as cavalry officers, survived the war, and came home to father 10 kids or so each.

5. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    Oh also forgot, the original Angle to come over set up the 4th synagogue in the U.S. in Va. A lot of my relatives fought and are in the Jewish Confederate cemetery down in Va

6. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    In what year?

My original ancestor of surname in America came to Virginia from England in 1638.

7. Attitude928

Attitude928 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    Rabbi Zacharya Yosef Rosenfeld | kevarim.com

When he died in 1915.. At least forty thousand mourners jammed those synagogues to pay their last respects. About thirty-five thousand people lined the streets, and some fifteen thousand thronged into the cemetery, creating logistical complications in the burial service itself. Catholic priests and Protestant ministers stood reverently there among those who attended, as also did St. Louis Mayor Henry Kiel. It was one of the largest crowds of mourners ever seen in St. Louis. Merchants of all faiths even closed their stores during the funeral as a sign of respect. It was indeed a fitting tribute to “the most pious Jew in St. Louis.”

8. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    1864. Myer Angles sons, he had six sons that served in the confederate army.

9. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    My grandpa and grandma got out of the Soviet Union/Ukraine in 1948.........

10. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Founded the town of Lockford CA.

The Mayor of Neilsville Wisconsin.

One of the first Whites in the Dakotas.

11. GoonOnFire

GoonOnFire Karting

Feb 6, 2012
    One of my great grandfathers is Devil Anse Hatfield, the guy that Kevin Costner played on the show. One of my great uncles is also world famous boxer, Tommy Loughran