Everything you need to know about Mondial trunk buttons! | FerrariChat

Everything you need to know about Mondial trunk buttons!

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Birdman, Jul 29, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    #1 Birdman, Jul 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    There have been a few threads about those buttons on the Mondial dash that operate the solenoids on the bonnet, engine cover and trunk. They look like just a button on the dash, but inside are electronics and when they go flaky, can they be fixed?

Well, here is a thread about them.

I had the trunk button go south on mine such that the trunk wouldn't open. Contact cleaner, which has solved so many electrical problems on my Fcars in the past, didn't fix it. So what to do next?

First, you start by removing the switch from the dash. This is easy. Step one, gently pry the bezel from around the Speedo with something that won't mangle the plastic. I like to use a plastic putty knife for this application. A credit card works too.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    #2 Birdman, Jul 29, 2010
  3. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    #3 Birdman, Jul 29, 2010
  4. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    #4 Birdman, Jul 29, 2010
    Each "button" (actually a little electronic box) has 4 terminals. Obviously more than just a simple switch.

•One for 12 V, always active regardless of key position.
    •One for ground.
    •One for 12 V from the instrument lighting circuit to run the little LED lights in it.
    •One to send 12 v to the solenoid (trunk, engine cover or bonnet) when the button is pushed.

The schematic for what is actually inside the little rectangular box is below. Don't ask how I got this schematic. It's top secret. Ferrari would send a hit man if they knew where I got this information. (I actually took one apart, and believe me when I tell you, this is not for the faint of heart. I do not consider these rebuildable by most people. They have to be partially "destroyed" to disassemble as they can't come apart without removing the riveted connectors first.)

As you can see from the schematic, it is a simple transistor driving a small relay, which then switches the current for the solenoid. Why do it this way? The switch is a small delicate part and if the entire load of the solenoid was being switched directly by this little switch, the constant arcing would quickly destroy the switch contacts. So they use a relay. Not sure why they need to use a transistor though. I would think that the momentary switch directly running the coil on the relay would be fine, but the transistor isolates the switch even more, allowing it to only deal with mere milliamperes of current, so it should last a good long time. Should. I mean, it's a Ferrari so lets not expect too much.

The two LEDs are just backlighting for the button. See Ferrari is hip, they were using LED lighting long before it was cool.

5. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    #5 Birdman, Jul 29, 2010
    OK, last picture. What the guts actually look like.

And that's it...more then you ever needed to know about those mysterious little contraptions!

Birdman

6. Earthboundmisfit

Earthboundmisfit Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Great posts, thanks. Was wondering if this was possible last night. Some are on ebay at the moment and I was wondering if they could be repaired instead.

7. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    They can definitely be repaired, but it's not easy!

8. Subito Grigio

Subito Grigio Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2009
    Birdman: Is there any way the Mondials can be in their own category on FChat? I have great difficulty discerning which QV is being chatted about. Do you agree this should be done? Best Regards, jamtans

9. efinn

efinn Rookie

May 25, 2010
    Stamping Ground, KY
    Full Name:
    Eric
    My switch for the front hood is not working. I took it out and found the circuit board was cracked across the back right in front of the terminals. Easy fix..I soldered little jumpers across each crack to the solder runs on the board. Did not fix it !! I started to take it apart but did not remove the rivets (chickened out). Ordered one from the 88 Mondial that is being parted out in Oregon. Received it but have not tried it yet. Thanks for the diagram and photos.

10. graham3.0qv

graham3.0qv Rookie

Jul 25, 2012
    Hi Birdman: Excellent posting and detail on the Mondial Trunk button. Have you, or do you know of anyone, who has carried out a similar disection of the Mondial Fog Light switch? Thanks.