Hard starting when hot | FerrariChat

Hard starting when hot

Discussion in '206/246' started by LARRYH, Jul 20, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I have owned my Dino for about a year or so it is a USA model 246 GT.. My problem is when the car is cold is starts exactly per the book . THat is let the fuel pump run for 30 seconds give or take pump once or twice. THen turn it over and it starts quickly no real problem. Now in hot weather if I drive the car turn it off for a few minutes say 3 or 5 minutes it just will not start .. If I let it sit for 10 or so minutes it once again starts right up .. It acts like vapor lock. I normally use shell premium.. I stalled it at a stop light the other day in 90degree weather and had to push it across the intersection to the corner then just waited a few minutes and it started right up.
    Anyone else with this problem any ideas....
    THanks
    LarryH

2. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    Experiment with 1/2 to full throttle when cranking. Do not pump the gas. When hot my car needs almost the full boot and once it catches I let off the gas to avoid zinging the rpm's.

3. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Get a gear reduction starter, best improvement you can make to your dino.

Rifledriver likes this.
  4. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Larry

Whilst we do not get prolonged periods of very high ambient temperatures in the UK, I had to learn how to start my dino. Sounds odd but there is a knack to how you start the car, some use 1/4 throttle and pump twice, others do it differently.

I start my dino exactly as you describe for cold starting, hot is another issue.

IMO what happens in those few minutes after the engine is shut off is that the fuel in the carb bowls evaporates leaving them possibly dry, especially the one over the water housing.

You need to give the fuel time to fill the carb bowls and purge the system of airlock, vapour etc. Then crank the engine. Try various methods and stick to the one the suits your car.

Gear reduction starters are a good conversion as they do turn the engine over faster and draws less current, which does compromise the ignition system.

Tony

5. penelope pitstop

Dec 1, 2006
    Your place or mine
    Full Name:
    PJ
    Hi Larry, if correctly set up with good compression your Dino should start when hot without touching the throttle , avoid pumping the throttle when the engine is hot as this will soak the spark plugs ........ if that regime doesn't work try this .......... turn on the fuel pumps and wait for them to slow down, push the throttle to the floor and hold it down; now crank over the engine and be brave ......... it may take a little time but it will start; as it fires lift off and feather the throttle to coax her into life, if you drop the spark plugs get a new set fitted as in my experience it's a waste of time trying to clean them. Good luck Penny

6. champtc

champtc Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    A few tips. First the gear reduction starter is a must and easy to install. Pm me if u want the info to buy it direct from the guy who actually makes them. Now onto the starting procedure ; when cold turn ignition on and wait until u hear the pump fill up the carbs approx 30seconds. Then push the accelerator down to the floor 3 times then push down a 4th time but only down approx 3/8ths and then turn the key to start. When hot push the accelerator all the way to the floor and keep it there then turn the key to start. The above all works for me and I hope it helps you. Have fun

7. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    SOunds like I need to get the gear reduction starter . I will try that although from researching throughout he discussions on the starter >> I have a USA car which means the cladding is on the headers anyone have any issues with clearance with the gear reduction starter...
    Thanks
    LarryH

8. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    I had a similar hot starting problem. It was the plugs. I checked them first, they looked good, so went on to other things, like coil, grounds, rotor, carb float adjustment, etc. Then went back to plugs. Found out the plugs were not gapped properly, and maybe had too much carbon, so replaced the plugs, and that solved the problem. Hope is an easy fix for you too.

9. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Take a peek at my thread on hot start issues. There was a lot of great input on ignition checks and fuel delivery checks. I had an underlying issue of floats set too low - so hot AND cold start was a prob. Set them correctly and huge improvement in cold start, but then I noticed hot start was crummy. What I've learned is that letting the fuel pump spin for a good 30+ to 45 seconds really makes a big difference in how quickly it fires up when hot and how it settles down after starting. i was having issues of difficult start when hot (great when cold btw), and goofy running right after start. Like a big air bubble caused by vapor lock. What made the biggest improvement was that trick about allowing the pump to run longer before cranking.

Spinning the motor faster with a better starter should help, but I was motivated by all the great starting cars with the orig starter.

10. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I just thought I would would update this thread. I took all of the advice on this thread and other similar threads and ordered a gear reduction starter and a new bosch dynoplex ignition along with all the various tuneup stuff. then I found a local independent shop that had experience with Ferraris and in fact had a Dino engine they are rebuilding for another customer. In any case dropped the car off and they found a little trash in the carburetor put in the new ignition (turns out it was running on the emergency setup , then rebuilt the carburetors put on the new starter .. balanced the freshly rebuilt carbs then ran it on a dyne did a little rejetting .. I picked it up today and you guys are right the new starter really turns the engine over faster (probably saves 15 lbs also) the car ran so much better and starts right up hot or cold.. idles smooth and no more popping exhaust hell the tach even works better..... THey had the car for about 3 weeks we even did a front end alignments and changed all the fluids ...
    The car runs like new..
    Thanks
    Larryh

TonyL likes this.
  11. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Congratulations!
    Nothing better than a quick starting Dino. Have you gotten used to the different pitch of the gear reduction starter's sound? It took a bit for me to become accustom to it but that endearing connection to Dino and its sounds are all part of ownership.

12. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    The starter does sound different but I am just happy it starts easy....

13. gofastertab

gofastertab Rookie

Mar 22, 2023
    NC
    Full Name:
    Andy Bayliss
    Please send me info on starter.
    Thanks!

14. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Perfect.....Dino's should not pop at all if tuned correctly. Do you know what re-jetting they did? Handy info for others.

Another great tune up and often ignored is a 4 wheel laser alignment. Get someone who knows how to set the chassis up and have the shims in stock to adjust. Transforms the car.
    Tony

LARRYH likes this.
  15. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Are Dino alignment specs like those for Daytona, based on "fully loaded" vehicle, apparently often ignored when checking and setting the alignment on latter (but makes a noticeable difference) ?
    Just curious.

TonyL likes this.
  16. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Tony I really do not remember my post was from 10 years ago but she still runs great..

TonyL likes this.
  17. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    :) Doh, didnt notice that!!

chassis tune up is a must every 5 years.;)

LARRYH likes this.
  18. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Yes, front / rear static laden spec - full of fuel, 2 people and no baggage..........doesnt say what size people though!!

19. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    ... and perhaps more often if the car is driven/used extensively or at least checked for alignment & component condition at every tire replacement. ;)

... and presumably with spare and tool kit ?

Perhaps dependent on delivery market, i.e. U.S. occupants traditionally known to weigh a wee bit more ? :rolleyes::D

LARRYH likes this.
  20. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Many Ferrari manuals specifically tells how many lbs are put on the seat and how many lbs on the floor. If you think you can tell the difference you should ask to drive for the F1 team.

muk_yan_jong likes this.
  21. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It may be vapor lock. Modern gas is famous for it. Do not expect a 70s car to work perfectly on modern gas. It is a very different product.

2dinos and LARRYH like this.
  22. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    problem solved the original post was from 2013 ,, .. Thanks

23. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Thanks, yes the guys who did the laser alignment on my 246 about 5 years ago had a weight specified in the software setup but only for the 308GT4 ++. It was set up for me and wifey!

Perhaps you could let us know the spec for the 246, nothing specified in any manual i have seen except 2 persons and full of fuel.

Tony

24. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Modern gas is not our friend

2dinos, LARRYH and Rifledriver like this.
  25. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    If the car was running off the emergency setup how did you not know with no Tach working?