Colorado Hospitality | FerrariChat

Colorado Hospitality

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain' started by Futureman, Mar 7, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    Everyone is so friendly here, even the city of Boulder. The city was kind enough to send me a portrait of me driving my car. How nice is that?? Of course the cost of the portrait was a little steep, $75, but it’s a pretty good picture of my Xterra and me driving it with a serious look on my face as I’m running a red light. I think the cost of framing it is extra, though. I need to call the city and ask.

2. Taurean Bull

Taurean Bull Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2010
    On my way
    Full Name:
    Chad
    In most places, can't you fight those by requesting to confront your accuser? Because it's a camera, nobody has techincally accused you. However, I think the cities get around this by having an "arresting officer" sign it. Usually not worth going to court, though.

Someone correct me, please.

Curious about your XTerra. I miss mine.

3. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    I bought it new. It's a 2001. Obviously, I've been happy with it since I'm still driving it. Plus, not have a car payment leaves me more money to sprinkle around the Ferrari and set on fire.

4. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    No friendly cameras like that allowed in Utah :)

5. Taurean Bull

Taurean Bull Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2010
    On my way
    Full Name:
    Chad
    I had a plain jane '06 S 4WD and a 6 speed. Gave it up way too cheap too...

6. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    Mine's a 4WD 5-speed. Still on the original clutch at 115,000 miles.

7. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    None down here in Co Springs either, come visit sometime :)

8. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Many jurisdictions reduce the time the yellow is on when they install cameras. It is one reason studies have shown that accidents actually increase at intersections with red light cameras.

Boulder will need your money when they take over the electric utility and try to run on green energy.

Dave

PS: I've seen Futureman's Xterra. Thing looks new. I guess ten years of no winters helps. I have a few jeep roads in mind for it next summer. We'll see how new it looks after that!

9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    So that what's that is. Well, I'll be. Last time I was in Denver I got one of those pictures. I threw it away because I didn't think I deserved an award or anything. I was just doing my part by trying to keep the flow of traffic moving.

Dale

10. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Wear a mask in Boulder. Got a Mitt Romney mask I will sell you CHEAP!

No cameras yet in Aspen. Lots of Texans though. Heck, one bought the house next door as a vacation home. From Dallas. The Ewings? LOL

11. chas-3

chas-3 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 28, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    I have heard that the ticket is active for 90 days. So, you can choose not to pay the fine and if you don't get served in person during that 90 day period the ticket is dropped. But if you do get served you will be paying a bit more than just the fine. Any legal guys on here with the definitive scoop?

12. Taurean Bull

Taurean Bull Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2010
    On my way
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Not sure why it wouldn't go to a warrant?

It's astonishing that any X over 3 years old looks new, as the bumpers usually fade to hell. How do you keep it nice?

13. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    They are faded. Dave was being nice. Like he said, for a car that old to look the way it does means it hasn't spent it's life in Colorado. It pretty much stays covered in mud these days. I don't think he'll be as impressed the next time he sees it. :D

14. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    I'm headed that way tomorrow morning to do some ice climbing. Not sure where. It's a class a friend and I are taking. Being the awesome husband that I am, I'm taking off for the weekend and leaving the wife and kids at home to deal with the 2 foot dump that we are supposed to get up at the house in the foothills. Oh, and we don't have a snow blower, the plow truck is dead as Dillinger, and the wife's Toyota Avalon can't do anything more than 3 inches. And if she really needs something, no one in their right mind would take her to town anyway as it's Frozen Dead Guy Days in Ned this weekend. I rock! :D

15. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Actually, I'll be more impressed when it looks like it was used in the manner it should be. I may have to check your skid plates next fall to see if you have truly embraced the Colorado lifestyle!

Dave

16. chas-3

chas-3 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 28, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    Not sure either but it doesn't, at least in Denver. From the Denver Police web site

Failure to respond to the notice may result in a Penalty Assessment Notice being authorized by the Denver Police Department. This Penalty Assessment Notice will be personally served by a process server and will result in a service fee of at least $29.00. If a Penalty Assessment Notice is served you will be required to appear in court unless payment is received 5 business days prior to the respond by/arraignment date listed on the Penalty Assessment Notice.

The respond by/arraignment date is listed on the served Penalty Assessment Notice. This respond by date is your arraignment date. You will need to pay the fine and costs including the personal service fee, submit a not pictured driver affidavit or nominate the driver (not required to) within 5 business days of the respond by/arraignment date. If you wish to plead not guilty you need to go to the Denver County Court, Room 109 by 5:00 PM on the respond by date.

17. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    Not worth my time. Get caught, pay the fine. Move on. No biggie. :)

18. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    My skid plate is sitting in the garage. The handful of times that I was in a pinch and needed to take it to the Jiffy Lube in Alabama used up all my skid plate bolts. Inbred Jed and his two brothers, Daryl and Daryl, managed to cross-thread/strip almost every one. Then a trip to the Nissan dealership resulted in 30 minutes of watching a kid with giant loops in his ears struggling to operate the parts database computer with a look on his face like that of a chimp trying to whistle, only to eventually tell me they were out of stock and would take 3 weeks to get along with a few other parts that I asked for that also were out of stock and would take 3 weeks to get. I felt like George Clooney in O' Brother Where Art Thou. Well aint this a geological oddity, 3 weeks from everywhere! True story.

God I don't miss that place.

19. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I think we had this conversation in September now that you mention it. Seems to me there are plenty of mechanics who could re-thread (I forgot the name of the tools for doing so) the holes and send you on your way. Ask Helms. I've seen oil trails on jeep roads that either lead to an abandoned vehicle or a spot with a big oil puddle where it was towed from. Hopefully the owners noticed before the motor blew. Either way, it's a very expensive misfortune.

Dave

20. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    Any chance your using First Ascent Mountain School? If so tell John Jason said hello, they are great to climb with..

Have fun, and dont get stuck, we are getting pounded down here.

21. Alex_V

Alex_V F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alex
    It's a hassle, that's how! The bumpers and pretty much all exterior plastic on my '04 XTerra are in bad shape, and once the weather gets better I'm planning to do a pretty big overall that starts with heat-gun to remove all oxidation, and then go thru and repaint the plastics back to black using ( product to be determined after research ;) )

I found some tips/ideas/other comments on the job thru searching Xterra forums like this one: http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29451

22. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    #23 Futureman, Mar 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    We used Outer Edge Mountain School. Our instructor was the head of the outdoor programs dept for the Air Force Academy. Cool guy. Casey was his name. There were a couple of other instructors out there from other guide companies. Jason may have been one of them. The weather was fine in the Springs. The drive back to my buddies in Evergreen at 2:00 pm was a little harry but not too bad. Of course, getting to my house near Ned was a no go.

Ice climbing was fun.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    When the cameras first came out in Boulder there was a guy speeding by them wearing a paper bag over his head. Turned out it was a Boulder detective "kidding around".

24. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Taxpayers money at "work." :eek: