575M prices headed down? | FerrariChat

575M prices headed down?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by craterface, Oct 26, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. craterface

craterface Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2011
    Sanibel Island, FL
    In recent browsing, I came across these two 575Ms at San Francisco Sports Cars. I was actually browsing BMW e9 coupes (I own one in addition to a 550). It seems that F1 575Ms may be getting a little soft? Both of their cars have the sport seats, which I have heard can be uncomfortable (and ugly compared with Daytonas). But, these cars have asking prices of 90k and 80k (which if you could buy in the low 70s seems like a deal), which seems quite reasonable, and less than they would have brought a year ago, I think. I think you could find a wrecked car and change out the seats pretty easily.
    I know nothing of these cars or the dealer and live 3000 miles away, but they look tempting to me. What do you think?

http://sanfranciscosportscars.com/2003-ferrari-575m-maranello/

http://sanfranciscosportscars.com/2002-ferrari-575m-black/

2. p1turbo

p1turbo Formula Junior

May 21, 2009
    san francisco
    Brad Goldstone and SF Motorcars top notch...he was a big help to me when looking for a 575. great reputation...his prices imo are alot more realistic than other places...and gets very nice cars.

Re: 575 pricing...imo, most listings are way high (10-30K imo)...and after looking for over a year before finding my 575...saw majority of those cars sitting unsold...or disappear for a few weeks only to show up at another dealer....more often than not for higher price.

For example...AG has an '03 argento that was at a dealer here in bay area when it had 10K miles on it almost two years ago...listed for $109K...sat a long time...watched price drop to 99K then $89K...then sold for ?. Here we are almost two years later...and 5K+ more miles and AG asking $99K. Saw/drove car back then...had aftermarket stereo...some significant sticky issues/leather shrinkage/bald tires/no service records back then...? now. I suspect the trade in on that car from AG was probably around 55-65K.

Imo...a nice 575 is in the 75-105K range depending on year/color/options/mileage/records/owners.

3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    It wouldnt surprise me if the 575 will eventually become cheaper than a 550.

The 575 got bad press when introduced as it was too soft without the fiorano package (which most mags said should be standard..). Also the F1 gearbox which seems to be on most 575s was still a work in progress and is best not compared to today's offering.

IMO, the sportseats are gorgeous and i have never felt uncomfortable in them in the various Fcars i have driven that had them, in town, on the track or on long travels.

Certainly a great deal of car for $70-80k..

4. p1turbo

p1turbo Formula Junior

May 21, 2009
    san francisco
    "The 575 got bad press when introduced as it was too soft without the fiorano package (which most mags said should be standard..). Also the F1 gearbox which seems to be on most 575s was still a work in progress and is best not compared to today's offering."

why i bought a 575 w fhp...:)

i drove both gated and f1 prior to deciding as well as w w/o fhp...and actually prefer the f1.

took some time (at least for me) to learn smooth shift points on the f1...

i much prefer the interior styling/gauges on the 575 vs the 550...but to each his own.

both incredible cars

5. jchuka

jchuka Karting

Mar 20, 2007
    Manhattan Beach, Cal
    Full Name:
    John P. Chuka
    Well documented, low mileage, very clean 575s still sell in the $100s easily.

6. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    +2004 575M F1 Argento Nürburgring / Nero Daytona with Bianco contrasting stitching and factory 19" Modulars with new Pirellis all the way around and a Tubi exhaust.

I bought it two years ago. It was one owner trade in on a 612 with 9K miles completely serviced and all records books and all keys and fobs.

I paid $97K and I LOVE the car.

7. p1turbo

p1turbo Formula Junior

May 21, 2009
    san francisco
    'Well documented, low mileage, very clean 575s still sell in the $100s easily.'

ok...pay that...i'll pay less.

8. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    in US dollars ?

9. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

The majority do not.

At auction last month, a Testarossa sold for $278,000. But it was a car with less than 1,000 miles.

You can buy a good Testarossa for $50K.

There are always outliers, but we are talking normal cars.

10. Parkplace

Parkplace Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Kevin Buckley
    #10 Parkplace, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
    before I bought my 550 I looked at both with an open mind. I liked the egg crate grill of the 575M which is the biggest dicernable difference to me visually. Drove both cars extensively and compared the pluses & minuses.

John Levy took me aside and told me about the delivery of his first 575M - how the customer, a seasoned 550 owner, drove the car off the lot and said OMG whats wrong with the suspension in this car? He didnt take delivery and within a year Ferrari was offering the Fiorano package to stiffen it back up.

I came away with this:
    the 550 the last analog Ferrari
    no Jetson style digital gauges, tire sensors or digital clock
    the motor is in right place & has AC, power steering & brakes that stop the car unlike a Daytona or other earlier V12s
    the ride is firmer and more viceral that the 575M
    it has a real gearbox that doesnt feel lag between shifts like an early F1

I like my car - but it's still a Ferrari with all it's silly little quirks

I have a few 575M's in storage including a gated 6 speed SA - you know the car with the swimming pool on the rear deck? the top is a frightening piece of Italian engineering...

11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Kevin- Old wives' tales on the 575M. FHP was available from day one of production, as were the 19" wheels. Proven by the 575M sales brochure published in early 2002 that documents both options. No reason it would not be, since all the suspension parts (springs, rear anti-roll bar, steering ECU) were identical to the 550 FHP package with the same parts numbers. Only exceptions were the 550 FHP shock ECU deemed unnecessary due to the far superior Mannesmann-Sachs shocks on the 575M. Hundreds of 575M owners and US car magazines had no problems with 575M handling. An early 575M shock absorber ECU, 183960, was easily swapped for later versions if owners wanted tauter handling. All well documented and a change made by many FChatters.

12. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    YOU'RE BACK!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

13. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    Terry – GREAT THAT YOU ARE BACK!!!

We missed you a lot.

Hope you and your 575M are doing well!

Markus

PS: I added a Maserati 3200 to my stable. See http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=379485

14. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    + a lot!

Wow...great to see you sharing your knowledge here again.

15. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    TAZ, adding my voice to those welcoming you back. Always a pleasure to read your posts. Keith

16. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Thanks, guys. Back for a short visit until I wear out my welcome again.

17. billwest

billwest Karting

Feb 28, 2008
    AL
    Full Name:
    Bill
    As I recall, only one person here had an issue. The rest of us value you tremendously. Great to see you back, Terry.

Bill

18. LeoBRK

LeoBRK Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    +100
    I have to go somewhere else to read all your posts!

Leo

19. 456 koirra

456 koirra Karting

Aug 18, 2005
    Finland
    +1

20. Bahaba0

Bahaba0 Karting

Feb 4, 2010
    Miami, Fl
    Full Name:
    David Stone
    +1. I hope I wasn't that person. Best to TAZ.

21. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    It's nice to have someone on Fchat that actually knows the facts about the 575. Welcome back.

22. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Glad for you to be back you have wealth of information and were helpful in me buying my 550 so hang around

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    don't let one person ruin it for you if that's the case, you know my PM and email. I don't have a 12 yet, but I like your AviatorChat posts!

24. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    who is taz? :)

25. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave