Grand Am And ALMS To Merge According To Speed | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Grand Am And ALMS To Merge According To Speed

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by b-mak, Sep 1, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    They can always increase the horsepower of the DP's as now they are regulated to about 500

2. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Yep those engines are so restricted they could easily have 650+hp without reliability issues, strictly my opinion of course.

3. Gary GT

Gary GT Karting

Jan 13, 2007
    Reidsville, NC
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I think one thing to keep in mind here is that several teams have already expressed the desire that they want to be able to race the same car at the 24 Hours of Le Mans that they race in the North American series. You can bet the ACO is not going to agree to back down from the current technological level of their standing classes for cars wishing to run at Le Mans. You might perhaps see certain classes not allowed to be eligible for Le Mans, like the LMPC and GTC classes in the ALMS, but if Mr. France and Mr. Panoz really do want to maintain a solid connection with the great race then they are going to have to work very closely with the ACO on what the accepted world class prototype standard is to look like in 2014. With GTE there is no problem at all and the formula should not be tinkered with. As to something popping up that resembles TransAm, I think you can pretty much forget that.

As to the assertion that the ALMS was on its way out anyway, in my opinion that position has never had ANY credible evidence to back it up and as such can be easily dismissed without further comment.

4. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    As to the assertion that the ALMS was on its way out anyway, in my opinion that position has never had ANY credible evidence to back it up and as such can be easily dismissed without further comment.[/QUOTE]

I certainly hope you are correct

5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    agree 100%

6. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Heck, Toyota Atlantics do 1:15.8 at Mid-Ohio!

LMP-C's are several seconds quicker than the quickest DP's at VIR...

7. rydermike

rydermike Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2010
    Spring Hill,FL
    Full Name:
    Mike Donohue
    WELL STATED ! Racing is racing , isn't it about competition? Kinda like Sprint Cup fans , I ask if they have ever been to thier local short track , and a HUGE majority will say no. I don't get it why just be a very casual arms lengnth fan when theres all sorts of great racing all over some pro much local/club stuff. It's not like the 50's when drivers HAD to stay within a single sanctioning body.

8. rydermike

rydermike Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2010
    Spring Hill,FL
    Full Name:
    Mike Donohue
    Even retuned NASCAR motors for lighter cars and roadracing could easily be 750-850 HP , depending on how long the race is , maybe detune 650ish for the 24 ? Pretty simple depending on how strong the current transaxles are. I'd guess the late 80's GTO cars were well over 600 HP.

9. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I just used 650 as a nice round number that is easily achieved and reliable.

10. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    For ALMS it's also about technology that produces even more speed. NASCAR always lacks that on a road course(and even DP). Put them on a real track with corners and they look sloppy compared to ALMS GT cars(even DP). I alway said for a lesson all NASCAR fans should have to go to one ALMS race(Turn 1 at Road America would be a great place to sit). I have seen it happen and the look on their faces said it all. They almost always come back. The huge problem ALMS had was a total lack of exposure. No one even knows they exist other than hardcore race fans.

The LMP1 cars look almost as fast as F1 cars on the track. It's great racing. I have been to alot of F1 and ALMS races, more than 10 each.

11. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Mid engine NASCAR on a road course ... is that going to be about it? After GT 40's, P 4's, 917's, Jaguar XK's, Toyota Eagles, 333 SP's, etc, this will be our future spectating hobby? I hope not! If so, I'll go to one race every 3 years instaed of 2 or 3 per year.
    I hope I'm wrong!

12. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    It all sounds great.

One question tho: Where'd y'all put the dang gum
    track bar in one of them protetypes?

BHW

13. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    hey Bubba can ya put three rounds into the right rear? car keeps turning right.

:p

14. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    I think you are more correct than wrong. FChat is 99% road racing fans, so I would not expect there to be much interest in NASCAR coming forth here.

But outside of sites like this, there is a lot of cross over fans. Me for one, I appreciate all forms of racing, except drag racing. Comparing NASCAR to F1, or any form of road racing is just silly.

I used to have the same seats every year for F1 at Indy, the Indy 500, and the Daytona 500. Enjoyed them all.

Each very different, yet each very entertaining.

15. PCA Hack

PCA Hack Formula Junior

May 9, 2008
    Rancho Santa Fe, CA
  16. rcraig

rcraig F1 Rookie

Dec 7, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob Craig
    Personally, I'm tired of the way both series restrict the engines. If anyone thinks there will be room and interest for two classes GTE and GT3 I think they are mistaken. Even at a few seconds per lap difference the look of the cars will be so similar that people will get confused. I would love to see them open the GT class as the premiere show. Most of the modern sports and supercars are pulling 550 to over 700 horsepower so cap horsepower at 750, weight at 2200 lbs , 4 inch wider tacked on fender flares maximum from stock. Height dimensions from track to bottom of flat car bottom spec. (don't have any idea what that dimension might be). Also a spec size wing and OK the use of certain size canards and splitter. I wouldn't care how you got the horses.

The engine used must be based on the way the car is delivered to public. For instance couldn't turbo a car that was not turbocharged stock.

Maybe this sounds too simplistic, but I think it would reward manufacturers for delivering efficient bodies and drive trains.

17. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    as blue sky thinking I think that sounds really cool but realistically I don't think that would happen, at least not in today's environment. kinda reminds me of the 911 GT1 and CLK GTR spec cars :)

you do raise a good point as to one proto and one GT class (I think that's one reason why GA went that way; to make things more readily identifiable to the fans) but I think the handwriting is on the wall at least in GT to keep true factory/pro guys separate from the am/pro am guys....you want the guys funding the sport to have a chance, even if it's in their own class.

18. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
  19. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
  20. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
  21. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    #121 GrigioGuy, Nov 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #122 Napolis, Dec 3, 2012
    We are seriously considering building and entering a DP in 2014.

We're talking with a venerable manufacture to power our car. (If this occurs these first renderings would look a little different.)

DP's with less restriction could easily be a lot faster than GTE's and in 2014 as both are regulated will be.

It's also possible that a few DP's will be invited to Le Mans as well.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    The bloodline in those renderings is instantly recognizable :)

I go to the Rolex 24 every year and my biggest complaint regarding the DP cars and primarily because I'm a photographer is that they are too generic looking. The Corvettes this year were a welcome change for me. The car in the renderings really takes it up a notch.

I understand there is a lot that goes into reaching the point of competition but it would be a shame for something so progressive looking to end up being generic.

24. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Jim, that is seriously cool. If it happens, field trip to Daytona!

25. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #125 Napolis, Dec 26, 2012