Do People Ask What You Do For A Living? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Do People Ask What You Do For A Living?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by strongx, Mar 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stinkydog

stinkydog Rookie

Jan 26, 2009
    I don't have an F-car (currently more of a "P" guy - ifyaknowwhatimean) but my usual answer to that question is "as little as possible".

If they just ask "what do you do", then my answer is usually something related to: spanking the wife, kissing the dog, and beating the kids (not necessarily in that order). Or.... "I go fishing" ... "I do laundry" ... "I mess about with boats"

2. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    "Cheap house, expensive cars" is actually the truth for me. But what the hell, they're all paid off!

I tell people I'm a contract assassin. They usually don't press. If they do, I'll admit it's not true, but that my real job is highly controversial, so I just go with something less damning.

3. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    If kids ask what my job is I tell them something akin to the truth.

If no children are around I tell them I "Sell crack to pre-schoolers dressed as a nun." The look of shock is hysterical. Some even believe me for a couple of seconds which is even more comical. Then I tell them the same thing I tell kids.

When asked how much it cost, I usually point to a newer minivan or SUV which is often what they drove up in (I NEVER knowingly point to theirs), and say "For what that cost, I could buy TWO 308s." Again the look of shock is hysterical.

I do then temper it by saying that it ain't a Ford. It needs maintaance. Unless you turn your own wrench, you and me together could pobably NOT afford it.

4. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I'm currently in the process of buying my first Ferrari. I've owned nice Porsches for years though and got this question when driving them also. I usually tell people that anyone can have a nice car if you want it bad enough. The commonality that exotic owners have is more their love of cars, not what they do for a living.

Even people that I work with and make a similar income are surprised at my cars. This is coming from guys that have a boat, a couple Harleys an RV and a $60k truck to tow it all around all sitting next to their $750k house.

5. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Usually when I drive my cars it is before or after working on them so generally I'm wearing old beaten up stained jeans,slip on sneakers, and a grey sweat shirt. Last week I stopped on the street and took a look under the car to see if a minor fuel leak was stopped. A gentleman was standing there and as I was getting back into the car he say's, so do you work on that car for the guy who owns it. I say yes I do. He says, so does he live here. I say yes. He says can you tell me his name. I say no he's real private, and a real jerk, and he would be real pissed if I told anyone. He says well thank you I completely understand.

6. tcannon

tcannon Formula 3

Feb 18, 2009
    Norman, OK
    Full Name:
    Todd Cannon
    I love that one! I have been in that position many times after doing work on my Fcar. I will have to pull this one out the next time I am out driving it in my dirty work clothes. ;)

7. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I can't believe nobody uses, "If I told you I'd have to kill you."

Cheers,

George

8. chp

chp Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2005
    He should have taken it. In contrast to many other currencies this one is save and rock solid! :D

9. strongx

strongx Karting

Mar 20, 2009
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Rock Thompson
    I was fortunate enough to get a second Ferrari a couple of weeks ago. The other day I had them both out in the driveway as I was cleaning the garage. The garage door was closed but through the window I noticed a neighborhood couple walking by and they really looked them over.

Today was a beautiful spring day so I was in front of the garage washing the windows. The door was closed so my cars were not visible. The same couple walked by and when they saw me they mentioned they had seen the two cars and they asked if I worked on Ferraris. I said "Yes I do, at least the two that I have." The guy told me he'd never seen two F-cars at once before. It turned out he was a former swat team member, so I volunteered what I do for a living and was very familiar with the gear my company makes. He gave me his number and told me he walks the neighborhood everyday and if I let him know when I was out of town he'd make sure my cars were safe. I'm totally in favor of making friends with men that have guns and want to protect my cars.

10. Five

Five Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2006
    Silicon Valley, CA
    I've been asked over 100 times (no Ferraris for me, though, Lambos and other). The 2 most common questions I get are "how fast have you driven it" (answer is not that fast) and "what do you do for a living"

I've also gotten people pitching their business plans or telling me some charity I should donate to. Today I got the "how fast" and a "you must have worked hard.." which was asking what I did in a more indirect way. At the gas station today I got one I hadn't gotten before "how much gas does the tank hold" LOL I told him it held about 20 gallons and that would probably hold me for about 20 blocks (which is not to far from the truth :))

I almost always talk to whoever is interested for a while. The Diablo Roadster I have is like a travelling circus and if you are bothered by attention, you shouldn't own one. The only people who annoy me are the jackasses who drive like maniacs when they see the car. Had a large pickup almost cause an accident last week cutting across traffic in front of another car and then speeding by wanting to race.

11. Dizengoff

Dizengoff Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2011
    Chicago
    No one ever asks me, but I live in Chicago. People pretty much ignore you here. Every once in awhile I get a thumbs up from a ten year old kid, but that's about it.

12. Hakan458

Hakan458 Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Hakan
    I don't get why it's such an issue... It's mostly younger people wondering what sort of careers they can pursue to be able to afford a car like that themselves. You shouldn't take offense to it. Normal people don't usually have any contact to wealthy people, let alone one who owns a Ferrari. So they're just curious what kind of field they're in that they were able to afford one. Not a big deal.

It annoys me how F-car owners treat others like crap. I'm pretty young myself and most of the F-car owners I talk to are a bit on the rude side. They're just interested in your car, you should want to talk about your car, not say things that will make them shut up and leave.

13. Living4life

Living4life Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2008
    I still can't figure out how to answer questions to people who ask me multiple times a day because I look/am younger than almost any other F car owner. I try to be as nice as possible and it's usually a good vibe I get back. Other cars I drive that are nice but under $100k get more negative trash talks and haters because they think I'm a kid who stretched the budget to lease a sports car but when they see the fcar I think people respect it a little more.

14. strongx

strongx Karting

Mar 20, 2009
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Rock Thompson
    I don't think it should be an issue, either, but I think you're overreacting a bit. I started this thread. I don't mind being asked. I don't dress like I can afford an expensive car, and I understand why someone might wonder why I can and why they might want to know what I do for a living.

If you read through the replies, you see that some people don't mind being asked and some do, just like some don't mind being approached about their cars and other don't like that very much. This proves that Ferrari owners are pretty much people like everyone else (but with cooler cars) and run the gamut between friendliness and being private, just like everyone else.

But the reaction can also depend on the way the question is asked. It can be asked in a curious way that shows understandable interest (I kind of like answering in this case). It can come with an underlying exasperation that means "Why can't I afford something like this?" but in a friendly manner (I don't mind this either and usually laugh and talk to them). Or it could be asked in a unfriendly way that insinuates you don't deserve it. This might happen to someone young, perhaps, but with my gray hair and wizened countenance I've never ran across this.

And I doubt a scientific study would prove that Ferrari owners "treat others like crap" anymore than other members of our species do. Before I was an owner I found those with Ferraris, as well as other marques, were usually very open and even eager to talk about their cars. Occasionally they weren't, but then I've sometimes ran across rude people doing something as mundane as shopping for plumbing parts; Ferraris don't make people rude, rudeness makes people rude.

But this brings up an important point: The human animal evolved making connections. And so, if an owner is rude to an inquisitive person, even if the owner is simply made that way and rude to everyone he meets, or is running late to a rendezvous with his mistress, or his gout is experiencing a nasty flair-up, the person on the receiving end of that rudeness will make the connection that Ferrari owners are jerks.

So I think we should make a rule. Those that need this rule will not pay any attention to it, but let's make it anyway: If you have a Ferrari and are feeling combative, rude and reclusive toward all those with lesser cars, please drive something else that day. Perhaps a scooter. This could be an excellent way to gain some humility. And please post pictures.

15. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    As to "How fast does it go?" I say, "Usually only as fast as the guy in front of me." :D

16. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I believe people that ask me what I do for a living are secretly hoping I am a male prostitute bcus they want to have wild monkey sex with me. Maybe not. ;)

17. wplong1

wplong1 Rookie

Jul 9, 2007
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Haven't bought my first Ferrari yet but get this question pretty regularly. I tell people that my wife is independently wealthy, which unfortunately is not true (and it drives her crazy that I say this).

18. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    In my experience it's young guys that are asking and not cute coeds.. :-(

19. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Back in 1976, the first time I saw a 308, I asked the owner what he did for a living, hoping his answer would give me some kind career direction so that I might be able to buy one someday. I'm still waiting! :)
    (He gave me a dirty look for asking)

20. 483hp

483hp Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 17, 2005
    www.fca.alberta.com
    I get this question all the time. It used to bother me but now I take it as an opportunity to inspire someone. You don't have to answer the question with a lot of personal details. If you talk to them a little you can get a feeling of what they are searching for.

For example, a kid approached me at a car show and it turns out he thought going to school was a waste of time. So I told him my story and tailored it with a "stick with school if you want any chance of buying this car" slant. His eyes got big and he walked away with a little more energy than when he approached me. It turns out his mother was listening a few steps behind him. She came up and thanked me almost in tears.

Every once in a while you get someone who is an ass. In those cases I don't mind having some fun. I usually answer with, "My clients are important people with very big problems. They trust me to take care of it......discreetly."

21. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    That's a good one.

22. 2000 CVPI

2000 CVPI Karting

Apr 29, 2012
    Maitland, FL
    Full Name:
    Alex H.
    I'm still in college, lol. I should have graduated last year, but autoimmune thyroiditis killed that.

I don't own an Fcar (yet), so people don't ask me what I do. If they did, I would probably respond with something sarcastic involving a female relative of theirs. However, people do ask me a question because of the car I drive, and that question is "Are you a cop?". I usually respond with "No, I'm with the FBI, Female Body Investigation" if the person asking is a good looking female between 18 and 30, and I reply with "No, I'm with the CIA." if it's an older woman or a guy. I realize "No, I'm a musician." would be a better response, but the only instrument I can play is the air guitar.

23. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I believe I was imbibing adult beverages when I posted this. I'm retired. :cool:

Really.

24. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I just say "I'm Independantly Poor"

25. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro