4 point harness in a 575m | FerrariChat

4 point harness in a 575m

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Loopm5, May 3, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Loopm5

Loopm5 Rookie

Dec 10, 2010
    I am looking to install a racing harness in a 2002 575m stock with no cage. I would like some suggestions on where I can locate a good set and install instructions if possible.

2. 360stradaleboy

May 24, 2011
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Ayrton S.
    I am pretty sure that you will not need a roll cage for these harness. They are good harnesses and some friends of mine use them in their cars.

http://www.deltaharness.com/?gclid=CLzF5Ziu5K8CFcHJKgodhHhRCA

Good luck

3. Loopm5

Loopm5 Rookie

Dec 10, 2010
    While those serve a functional purpose they are not what I am seeking. I want a permanently mounted harness in the car not to me.

Thanks

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    what is your intended use? Auto-x or roadcourses? 6 pt parachute style is easiest with stock equipment. Do you already have a harness bar?

5. Loopm5

Loopm5 Rookie

Dec 10, 2010
    I should have stated my intended purpose. I will not be racing the car on a track.I would like the ability to have the harness with the car at all times. I guess I should ask is the a way of mounting a 4 or a 3 or a 5 point to the car with out a bar or roll cage and still be safe. I don't want to change the car that much I just wanted the extra retention and still have the car look somewhat stock.

6. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    4 pts are rarely safe unless of Anti-sub design like Stroth ASM 4pt.. All 4+pt harnesses need a harness bar or plates welded to something solid to mount the shoulders. Even the 550 WSR car had a modified rear package shelf that housed the anchor points for its shoulder hanrness. The lap belt and 6 pt parachute sub straps are pretty easy to do off the rear seat achors. This is not ideal and better suited to low speed auto-x but physically can be done. Someone would have to do the math to figure out what the loads are. My guess is that it would be adequate since the 550 already uses the seat anchors and lap belts as part of the seat. So the anchors must be engineered for some 200lb guy and "x" G crash and an engineering safetly factor. What that is I have no clue.

7. BRADAN

BRADAN Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    What are you going to do if you flip and the roof caves in? Being stuck in the upright position might not work in your favor.

8. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    This is why we are asking for more details. While probably possible, a car not properly prepared for this (ie: roll cages), this can be extremely dangerous.

-dsd

9. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I have commented before that this is a myth. There is no data to support this senario. All I can offer is this:

<<A properly installed and worn 4, 5 or 6 point belt will help to keep the body properly positioned in the seat which is the best source of protection. A very tight lap belt might even get you an inch lower (further away from the roof). Most newer (1990+) cars have signifiant roof structures that even when collapsed provide more protection than you might imagine. Ask any EMT and they will tell you that they seldom see serious head or neck injuries resulting from a crushed roof.

John Melvin (nationaly recognized independent racing safety expert) touched on this topic at the recent SCCA National Convention with basically the information above. As long as a 4, 5 , or 6 point belt is installed in COMPLETE complience with the manufacturers instructions you will be better off with such a harness in a rollover with or without a rollbar.>>

This is a statement from Joe marko of HMS motorsports who is the USA importer for Scroth racing and works to set up NASCAR teams with safety gear. He is widely know and respected in the racing industry and in amateur racing like SCCA/NASA/BMWCCA/POC/PCA

Dr. John Melvin is GM racings safety guru and collegue of the infamous Dr. Hubbard of HANS fame. Their CV is extensive in racing safety. They have written the book on race safety and play big roles in how NASCAR has evolved into the pinnicle of tintop safety systems.

http://www.justracing.com/driver_safety/viewtopic.php?p=90

10. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks for the info! A very enlightening read.

-dsd