Copart... damage 360/430's thread | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Copart... damage 360/430's thread

Discussion in '360/430' started by 4re Nut, Dec 20, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. *fill-up*

*fill-up* Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2011
    Orland Park, IL
    Full Name:
    Phillip K
  2. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    This whole thread makes me sad! But then it makes me happy because I can give each car a proper burial in my database (ensuring that no one can "resurrect" them on eBay a year from now saying they were "freshly detailed after sustaining a few scratches").

This one's interesting - when I saw it a few years ago, it as black. I wonder if the white is a wrap, or if it was painted, or if the black that I saw was a wrap and it's really been white the whole time.

But what's wrong with it? How does a car with "normal wear and tear" end up on a salvage site? That alone lends the car an undue stigma.

It was for sale on eBay through Sin City Motoring back in July, 2008, with 10,397 miles, for $169,000. After that, it went off my radar; not sure if anyone here bought - but if they did, and they were in it when that happened, I hope they're okay.

3. gtwhaley

gtwhaley Karting

Jan 10, 2011
    Kentucky & Texas
    Full Name:
    Greg
  4. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    Gut wrenching...

5. Star-Garage

Star-Garage Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2010
    Delray, FL
    Full Name:
    Mike Massari
    I bought the car. 67k+ with Copart fees and shipping.
    It's the only way I could ever afford a one.
    I'll try to restore it to my perfectionist standards, which shall take some time.
    I'll share the progress from time to time if anyone cares.
    Btw, does anyone know who's car it was? I would like to know the service history, etc.

6. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    I should buy one of these. I need another project.

GT

7. *fill-up*

*fill-up* Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2011
    Orland Park, IL
    Full Name:
    Phillip K
    Sweet deal! I quoted the parts, at least as far as I can see, to be less than $5k on eBay.

8. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    This thread is somehow linked to the "Geico is dropping my 360 insurance coverage spontaneously" thread ;)

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=363577

I will say that people paying $67K for a salvage titled 430 coupe with 26K miles seems to be;

1. A little crazy when a no story, clean title 430, solver/black with 18k miles is asking 109k on yahoo.autos.con today. Thus is a salvage titles, very damaged 430 worth the savings? 109-67=42k. 42k is a lot of money, but after fixing for 10-20k, the gap closes. @fill-up, really, "5k for the parts" is quite misleading. The paint job will be 5k and thats not a paint job I would want on my 430. I think its a 10-20k fix if there are no surprises and there is no water damage, the interior looks suspiciously water infiltrated.

But good luck fixing it @Star-Garage and enjoy in good health! Please create a thread with your progress, we eat this stuff up, make it a success story like the 360 CS. Take lots of pics and keep an XLS of the $.

2. Not that bad for the insurance co; I can see that the insurance companies are getting financial hits, but not as bad as it could be because at the copart auction they are losing <40k (assuming the owner was paid 109k, and many other assumptions that cloud my argument) on a totaled car. That could happen on any decent mid grade german car. Heck a 335i is 50k new with any decent options list, and in this condition they would probably lose 30k.

9. *fill-up*

*fill-up* Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2011
    Orland Park, IL
    Full Name:
    Phillip K
    I said $5k for parts, NOT labor or paint, etc. I would guess another $10k in labor and paint.

Repair Both Qtrs, fender, bumper, headlight, rear drivers wheel looks a little off (maybe control arm), seat belt, drivers airbag, fender shield, and a few small other parts. Not a hard job to fix

10. JS NZ

JS NZ Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2010
    Auckland, NZ
    Full Name:
    John
  11. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    True, you did state that and were clear. I was emphasizing the actual cost was misleading. If the final delta is <20k, which in this case it is, and you end up with a salvage title, so not apples/apples, and it is not a deal for everyone.

*Note that I would prefer the car fixed and driven than as a parts car. So more power to the buyer.
    **Had the car been my color combo my wishes for its destiny might be different.

12. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Don't know who owned it, but it was for sale in July, 2008, through Sin City Motoring of Las Vegas, with 10,397 miles, for $169,000. Maybe you can start there.

13. gtwhaley

gtwhaley Karting

Jan 10, 2011
    Kentucky & Texas
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I think you got a decent deal. Glad to know someone here bought it! Keep us posted on the rebuild! :)

14. gtwhaley

gtwhaley Karting

Jan 10, 2011
    Kentucky & Texas
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #65 gtwhaley, Apr 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I bid on it :) Seems I always come up short :( $17k will fix the car without a doubt.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Star-Garage

Star-Garage Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2010
    Delray, FL
    Full Name:
    Mike Massari
    Thanks! I'm very excited, I'll post on it!

16. gtwhaley

gtwhaley Karting

Jan 10, 2011
    Kentucky & Texas
    Full Name:
    Greg
  17. *fill-up*

*fill-up* Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2011
    Orland Park, IL
    Full Name:
    Phillip K
  18. JPN800

JPN800 Karting

Apr 12, 2010
    New York
    Full Name:
    JP
    I have some good friends in the salvage business and I'm very familiar with it myself. That being said, your statment could not be more true....Spend the money up front and get a good one.

19. gtwhaley

gtwhaley Karting

Jan 10, 2011
    Kentucky & Texas
    Full Name:
    Greg
  20. Star-Garage

Star-Garage Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2010
    Delray, FL
    Full Name:
    Mike Massari
    #71 Star-Garage, May 5, 2012
    Here are some progress pics
    The entire pass. side radiator and cage were ripped-off and gone when the car arrived.
    Funny how COPART staged the damaged fender on the ground in front of the radiator area for the auction picture, so no one could see the extent of the damage! See original posting.
    We lined-up the new cage, fender, bumper and headlight today.
    My expert welder buddy came over and burned it all in for me.
    He welds better than Guido and Luigi.. btw...
    Fitted the new radiator and went for a blast around the block! WOW, what a rewarding day!
    Thank God for ebay and the usual parts guys in Cali.
    Going to paint shop on Monday!

21. wtlaw

wtlaw Karting

Jul 28, 2011
    SoFLA
    Full Name:
    WT Law
    Mike, It looks Fantastic.
    Are you on budget?? How many work hours so far. Any other surprises from the original inspection ??
    Congrats again on a great project!!!

22. Star-Garage

Star-Garage Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2010
    Delray, FL
    Full Name:
    Mike Massari
    Thanks for the encouraging words. Tough crowd round-here, lol..
    I just about spent all my money so far. I planned on just getting the car and putting it together over time and as I saved additional money. I have'nt been able to leave it alone though. I'm running up the credit card on parts! I probably had no business buying it in the first place, but I have a serious car addiction! I need therapy I'm sure.
    There were additional surprises. The windshield was smashed $2000, the radiator cage completely missing $1250, all trunk carpet liners missing (don't care right now), R/F wheel cracked beyond repair $500 and both seat belt ETR's deployed $800. All of which is very hard to see in the Copart pictures and that's what you get when you buy a car over the net without inspecting in person. But I went though this before with a 360 so I knew to expect the unexpected. I don't recommend this sort of thing for just anyone, unless they are able to do most of the labor themselves and have located most of the used parts before-hand. I am in the euro auto repair biz so I had/have both aspects covered. I figure I have spent about 12 hrs. on the car so far. I will only have to pay the paint shop some labor, because I'm no painter.
    Working on cars is both my career and my hobby. That's why I enjoy this kind of project. It is very rewarding to me. It is not for trying to make a profit or save $ on buying a Ferrari.
    As I said before, this was probably the only chance I would ever have to own an F430 due to my finanial status, so I took the chance.
    Cars are my life and I have been a life-long Ferrari fan. The car is well deserved, will be well cared for and extremely well appriciated for a middle classer. Also proud to help another Ferrari stay in population, rather than go to the graveyard!
    -Mike

23. Kouki Monster

Kouki Monster Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2007
    Washington
    Full Name:
    AJ
    Mike, please make a new thread for us to follow on progress. I would love to subscribe to it. I, like you love doing the same thing. So this is more fuel to the fire to do the same haha

24. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #75 4re Nut, Jul 15, 2012