Trading in my GTR....for a 360! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Trading in my GTR....for a 360!

Discussion in '360/430' started by arock, Apr 25, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    #51 vrsurgeon, Apr 26, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
    I've seen the exact opposite at our C+C every saturday. The GTR's sit by themselves while the FCars get a steady stream of attention. Far more attention? Right.

"Looks amazing" for a GTR.. you must know a different crowd. Everyone I know praises its performance but "looks amazing" something I've never heard for a GTR. Well.. maybe once, but he had a pimped Civic. ;-)

When you get rid of the electronic nannies, you actually have to know how to drive. That's why I'd trust my wife in a GTR on the track. 50 miles too much? Perhaps a nice Bentley or Mercedes SL might suit? If the glare is too much on the road some I hear wrap around sunglasses work well

2. MikeR397

MikeR397 Formula 3

May 9, 2010
    SE Michigan
    My problem is I want my 360, and a GTR...and an Aston Martin, and a 911, and ....

I love them all.

3. Mo T

Mo T Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2011
    Saudi Arabia
    Full Name:
    Mohammed
    #53 Mo T, Apr 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I can't believe you guys are still discussing GTR on a "Ferrari" forum.

Ferrari, is a mix of Luxury, Style, and Power, very little brands can offer all three (with great attention to detail) in one combined package.

Yes, the GTR is fast.
    Yes, it performs well on a track.

BUT ... how long will that last? a faster car will come and the GTR (sooner or later) will bite the dust. On the other hand, the 360, and every other car "Ferrari" builds is and will always remain an icon, if you see a 360 or even a 355 on the street in 10 years time it will still take your breath away. Let's see what impresses you about a 2010 GTR in 2020!!!

Enough said ...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. THonda

THonda Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    TH
    a 1991 Acura NSX still impresses me :)

5. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    For me the problem is stating how much prettier it is than a 360.. on a ferrari forum. ;-) I guess that some people find those black velvet paintings of Elvis attractive too. Just don't go into the Met in NYC and start proclaiming that.

Remember the last iteration of the Supra? I see things moving in that direction..

6. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    +1, I don't get the GTR styling at all, give me a 360 any day, don't car for the fastest car when I can only drive 65 legally ;)

7. Spider360Matt

Spider360Matt Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2012
    California
    Dont forget the dogs playing poker - priceless!

Seriously,...how come we havent brought track ready Miata's or pimped out Honda's Civics for a track day comparison? The two cars are different. Plain and simple choice and taste is always going to be personal.

Enjoy the new ride!!

8. Hkpooh

Hkpooh Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2011
    hey of course, hands down the 360 looks better by a lot, and the experience you get from a F car is just exciting. but since when that matters to its performance?

The 2010 GTR will still impress you on the performance side, mine is 2011 and is my daily and I am having a hard time to replace it with something else because I love the way it is for the "daily purpose".

No one is trying to tell you a GTR looks better than a 360 here, it will be a foolish. So is trying to say 360 got better performance.

yes 91 NSX still inpress me =P

9. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    ive had a new gtr for past year and have to speak up in favor of it. hands down, it gets more positive responses from people on the street than all my past porsche, ferraris, etc combined. thumbs ups, cheers, fotos, every time i drive and that includes car clueless manhattan.

obviously cant compare on style with ferrari but as far as sound - a gtr with a $500 Y pipe sounds pretty good. perfect as daily driver and track monster alternative to porsche. and maintenance costs are 1/2 factory when use aftermarket. i love it.

10. arock

arock Rookie

Apr 22, 2012
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Avi
    Me too Mike, and I want to try them all...and savor one at a time...

11. Mo T

Mo T Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2011
    Saudi Arabia
    Full Name:
    Mohammed
    Tetsuo, It sure isn't the power of a 1991 NSX that impresses you today ...

Curt ... true, everyone beats on the sound of a different drum. I'm just trying to say it's not only about Power, that's one factor of many more a Ferrari can deliver, if all we wanted was performance, a Ferrari would have not been on top of the list.

There is a reason a 458 is maybe 3 times as much as a GTR, and it sells like hot cake with many people on the waiting list, some people don't get it and never will.

IMO, the GTR is more of a threat to Porsche than it is to Ferrari. Ever since being a kid I've always had the impression that Porsche was all about performance, when the GTR came out I could not believe it was faster on a track at half the price until comparison reviews started getting to youtube.

12. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I will never forget when parking my 360 at the Colorado Grand car show two years ago. A middle-aged man parking his GTR came over and said: I love your car.

13. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    +1 Spot on!

14. Hkpooh

Hkpooh Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2011
    hah you are on the right track =P but becareful, F car is so addicted!

15. dlopez001

dlopez001 Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2007
    CA
    Full Name:
    DL
    1. There will always be a faster car, either from a 'competing' brand or next gen from the same brand.

2. You can take just about any stock car, and with $-$$$ make it faster, handle better, look better.

3. We are lucky to have options and variety. What if the only choice was a Model-T Ford in black?

4. For enthusiast, cars, like wine, strike an emotional connection with the owner (or consumer in the case of wine). What someone declares as 'the best' may be 'the worst' in someone else mind. I once uncorked a $150 bottle of wine that I loved. My guest thought it was vinegar! Buy what strikes you emotionally.

5. I've noticed that not everyone on F-Chat believes Ferrari is 'the best'. Most do, but there are exceptions.

6. Now my personal opinion, the GTR looks like stink, and goes like stink! It is one e-ticket ride! Would I turn one down if offered to me? Heck no! But Its not also on my future buy list. I'm not in a position to own more than one 'fun' car.

Cheers,

DL

16. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
  17. THonda

THonda Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    TH
    Exactly, it's a japanese icon supercar like the GTR and so I blieve it will be appreciated 10+ years from now.

18. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Guys I realise that I might have interpolated my reading some other threads NSX content. If I come off as a rabid 360 fanboy... my apologies. I really do see/appreciate the benefits of the NSX, C6, Lambo, etc. and the imperfections of the cars as well.

19. Supreme27

Supreme27 Rookie

Oct 25, 2011
    NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    In my opinion I respect the gtr for what it, Is and what it can do but the gtr is such a common car. It lacks the wow factor in comparison to many other cars. The Nsx might not have the most power but gets the job done looks wise and handling with what it had just never was updated properly through out the years. And it's pretty rare to see one

20. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    The market is never wrong. People are willing to pay more for Ferraris. Thus the market sees more value there.

21. raptorduck

raptorduck Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mr. Raptorduck
    As between the GTR and an Aston (say a Vantage), the GTR's performance is to Aston's performance what Aston's looks are to the GTR's looks. Need I say more?

So the GTR is the better cook, but the Aston is better in bed. ;)

And a Ferrari can cook . . while in bed. :)

p.s. But I would not also mind having a good cook. ;)

22. vegas

vegas Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Australia
    One is a just a fast Nissan

The other is a Ferrari

End of conversation.

23. adamchick29

adamchick29 Rookie

Mar 9, 2011
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Adam Chick
    #73 adamchick29, Apr 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Several members have asked for a comparison between my 2012 GT-R and 2006 F430. With this thread taking off, I thought I would just put it here (I know this thread is about a 360, but the discussion seems to have focused on the GT-R). I've broken it down into different categories and commented on each. Please keep in mind, the following is derived from my experience of owning and driving both car and is simply my opinion. Sorry for the length, but I wanted it to be complete. While many people already know the performance stats for the two vehicles, I thought it would be worth while to put them side by side.

Acceleration from stop: Simply put, the GT-R is one of the fastest accelerating production cars in the world. There was some controversy when Nissan started to void warranties for using launch control in 2010 and 2011, but that’s now a thing of the past. The launch is like no other street car I’ve driven. The computer does the work for you to provide the best possible launch for the current track conditions, allowing even a novice to achieve a 0-60 time of less than 3 seconds. From a stop, the car feels like it never runs out of power. The 2012 GT-R has been consistently tested running 0-60 in 2.9 seconds and the ¼ mile in 10.9-11.1 seconds at 125 mph. In testing done by Road & Track in November of 2011, the GT-R was found to have the quickest hole-shot of any production car in the world. It beat both the Bugatti Veyron and Porsche 911 Turbo S to the 100 foot mark.

The F430 runs impressive times itself. The best recorded 0-60 time I’ve seen is 3.5 seconds with a ¼ mile of 11.7 seconds at 120 mph, but the more common times are around 4.0 and 12.0 seconds, respectively. These times are fast by any standards, but the GT-R’s awd and sophisticated launch control enable it to accelerate at an incredible rate that few production cars can match.

Rolling Acceleration: I don’t have the numbers to draw a real conclusion, so I have to comment only from the feel of both cars. While it seems like the GT-R is still quicker from a slow roll (5 mph), the F430 seems to have more of a punch when passing at highway speeds. Part of this may be due to the sound of the high-revving V8 which always makes you feel like you’re flying. :)

Driving Feel: The GT-R has a great feel, but not as refined as the F430. I get the sense that I’m connected to the Ferrari when driving it. Both cars provide a race car atmosphere with a center mounted tach, F1 paddles, and a small steering wheel. I thought I was sitting low in the GT-R until I got in my F430 for the first time. I sit much lower in the F430 and feel like I’m almost riding on the ground. I think this probably improves the sense of attachment with the vehicle that I was referring to above.

Both cars provide a great interior with comfortable and supportive seats. That being said, if I was going to make a long road trip, I would probably choose the GT-R’s seats. They combine a soft feel with plenty of support.

Handling: Both cars handle remarkably well, but they go about it in very different ways. The awd GT-R gives you the sensation that you couldn’t lose control even if trying to. I expected the F430 to be more difficult to drive fast, but was pleasantly surprised. With the traction control on, I’ve found the F430 to be relatively easy to handle at higher speeds.

The GT-R runs the slalom at 75.4 mph, and hits 1.0 g on the skidpad. It brakes from 60 mph in 114 ft and from 80 mph in 189 ft.

The F430 runs the slalom at 71.9 mph, and hits 0.94 g on the skidpad. It brakes from 60 mph in 114 ft and from 80 mph in 194 ft.

Sound: The exhaust notes are so different. I’ve been driving turbo cars for years (Evo’s, STi’s, etc.) so the GT-R has a familiar sound to me. At normal driving speeds around town, you can hardly tell you’re at the command of a 530 bhp supercar. However, when opened up, the engine whines and whooshes loudly.

Unlike the GT-R, whose engine simply starts, the F430’s engine erupts. My F430 has an x-ost aftermarket system on it and makes just an incredible sound when pushing 8500 rpm, more like a mechanical symphony. It’s not possible to drive under an overpass, hear the noise coming from those tailpipes and not smile. :)

Attention: Contrary to some of the responses in this thread, both cars get plenty of attention (both the good and bad kind). The F430 certainly gets more, but I’ve had numerous people track me down when driving the GT-R to snap a photo and ask questions about it. That being said, just about everybody knows what a Ferrari is. There are many people that see the GT-R and ask, “What is that?”

I would hardly call the GT-R a "common car." Random people don't honk their horns, give you a thumbs up, or snap photos of a common car.

Final Thoughts: These cars are so different. The sheer performance numbers from the GT-R are hard to find in just about any other production car, and nearly impossible in a car with an MSRP of $95,000 or less. In my opinion, it’s the more practical supercar. It’s easier to drive in parking lots and in heavy traffic. It has plenty of trunk space for luggage and golf clubs. Nissan has found a balance between eye-popping performance and everyday civility. Several people have commented on the tiny back seats, and that is certainly true. The GT-R would be a great daily driver for a single guy or someone without kids, but the back seats are not very functional. Finally, if you’re considering a GT-R, I would not buy a pre-2012 model. The improvements made in 2012 are well worth the extra money.

I totally disagree with people who claim the GT-R is ugly. The large, saucer-shaped taillights and oversized exhaust tips look amazing. I love the aerodynamic door handles and fender lines. Don’t get me wrong, when talking about appearance, the Ferrari is in a league by itself, but the GT-R is hardly a lump of coal.

The bottom line is a Ferrari is a Ferrari, and the F430 is an amazing car. The exhaust note is otherworldly and makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I like the styling of the GTR, but I love the Ferrari.

I’ll put it this way, the GT-R’s launch brings a smile to my face, but just driving the Ferrari brings the same smile. If I had to choose one, I’d take the Ferrari.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Supreme27

Supreme27 Rookie

Oct 25, 2011
    NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    Sorry about the common car quote. I should of said it in different words the Gtr depending on where you are they are more often seen then a ferrari. When I was in London for a month last year I used to see one every 3 to 4 days atleast but then again over there you see all types of great cars everywhere. Here in Ny I see 2 of them very often I'm guessing since I live near them and on occasion see one on the road at random. But not taking anything away for them they look great and must run it too

25. vf430

vf430 Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2009
    SoCal
    Very nice review, Thanks for taking the time to write it.