Anybody ever list their car for use in movies | FerrariChat

Anybody ever list their car for use in movies

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by dromer, Nov 29, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dromer

dromer Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Anybody have experience renting their cars to movie productions ? I have seen several agencies that do this. Im thinking about it.

Believe that Dustin had begun a service. I did send him a pm. Im sure that he is slammed with Motor for toys.

Best
    Dave

2. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I've been offered a couple of movies but the terms hadn't been right. Dusty does dabble a little in that area but mostly sound recording of cars for video games. :) I have done a deal with Dusty for recording my car.

3. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I had my 355 on VIP and made sure to Lexol the seat where Pam sat! ;):)

4. s4dustin

s4dustin F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    I do not supply for movies or tv due to fear of damage and others driving your car(s). I get calls all the time, but the "what if" factor......they wreck your car, then it will be a pain in the a$$ to replace and I possibly lose a friend. Not worth it to me.

I do record cars for all the major studios and game companies, but you drive the car on a private track and it ends up being pretty fun. A lot of people have done this with me and they all enjoyed. I remember one day.....years ago.....CGT, Couple Stradales, Noble........that was fun.

I will be recording this month, but it is all muscle cars and race cars...... :)

Good luck Dave.

5. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Mine has been in one commercial and one movie.

6. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    SteveR had his 360 Spider in that Vonage commercial. That was cool. They didn't drive the car though. Just sat in it and talked if I recall.
    I believe it was flat-bedded to the location and flat-bedded back the same day.

7. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    Funny....I hardly visit the forum much anymore and I stop-in and here's my name. What's up Chris? I ran into Damian at Trader Joe's last night too, hope everyone is doing well.

Yeah, I think it was either Dusty or Mike Sage who hooked me up with that Vonage commercial. They never even started the engine the entire time they had it! It was flat-bedded in a protective enclosed transport and they had a guy whose sole job was to "shadow" the car at all times. It was treated as if it were a precious artifact....came back with zero damage and a nice check.

We've also had a lot of things shot at our residence....commercials, music video's, TV shows, movies. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNPEbHoCxNg&ob=av2e[/ame]

Honestly, it's a lot of rumor that "they'll thrash your property"...not too unlike the general rumor that Ferrari's are all utterly unreliable and uber-high maintenance. What it really comes down to is working with a reputable and solid production company, they have insurance and very much want to make sure you're happy and your property is taken care of. With the house, they have cleaning-crews come in afterwards and leave the place cleaner then they found it. If anything is damaged, they go overboard fixing it and compensating you...we've had nothing but excellent experiences and some nice contributions to our kids college funds. Just avoid low budget no-name hack companies and you'll be fine 99% of the time. So to summarize: it's just a car, pimp it out and if anything happens just bring it to Damian. :D

8. B R

B R F1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    B R
    I rented my car out for a music video a few years ago. It was a craigslist connection, worked out fine, I was on the set supervising the whole time :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWFOtfnYs88[/ame]

9. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    My cars have been used in a number of productions over the years. here are a few examples.
    My Vanishing Point Challenger has been used in a number of videos, mag comparos and features. It was driven pretty hard in the Audioslave video. Pay was good, car got dirty.

My Jensen Interceptor was used in Hook, good pay, came back full of that fake Hollywood "snow".

Viper, F-car used in Gone in 60 Seconds. They took exceptional care of it, pay was good. At one point, they wanted Nick Cage to drive it a very short distance. Walked over to me and explained everything that would happen and asked if it would be OK.

The F&F crew wanted to use a few of my musclecars and Cobra for one of those flicks. I refused, as pay was very low. Maybe because of all the F&F type cars and owners were basically willing to let them use their cars for next to nothing to say they were in a flick. Or, maybe that pay rate has just shrunk. I don't know, haven't rented a car to a movie production in a few years now.

I still have musclecars, vintage police cars, sportscars, etc. Haven't heard from any of the rental companies in a while, though.

10. Supercar Ace

Supercar Ace Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    Sunny So Cal - LA
    What's funny is I might need several cars for a movie in Jan...most likely they'll just be sitting there in the background looking pretty :D

11. 355rockit

355rockit Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2010
    San Marcos, CA
    Full Name:
    Vas
    If you need a F355 looking pretty in the background... PM me ... I'd be interested and I think the Ferrari may enjoy it too.

12. dsevo

dsevo Formula Junior

May 7, 2007
    Flower Mound, TX
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    I rented my 360 to MTV a few years ago. The car was never driven over 20 mph, and I was there the whole time. $600+ for 4 hours and about 5 miles on the car.

13. dromer

dromer Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks for the input.

14. spEYEdr

spEYEdr Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2007
    LA - City of Angels
    Happy to help. For an indy pic, free too.

Red 360 spider
    Laguna seca blue e46 M3 vert (really clean, near perfect condition)
    White on white range rover sport supercharged 2011

15. Century Transport

Oct 9, 2007
    Westhills,Ca
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I have transported to many movie/commercial shoots, as a rule I am present to babysit the car, During the filming of Fast 5 a car was rock damaged by a camera truck and they took full responsibility and took great care of the owner.

I have had clients as part of the agreement include my services to babysit the car and pick up and drop off.

As long as its a reputable production company go for it!