Smoking In Your F-Car? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Smoking In Your F-Car?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by xxsprunkxx, Oct 28, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    The argument you were responding to isn't logical.

But it wasn't mine.

My argument only touched on "rights" in that you're told that something is bad so you won't defend that industry against confiscatory taxation.
    Alcohol, tobacco, and firearms were the US's big business. All are deemed "bad", and have been taxed to the point of collapse.
    But then, the US has pretty much been sold on the premise that no successful business has any rights.

People do *not* have the option to choose not to buy my 328 ...
    ... because it's not for sale. :D

So what do I care what the "retail" price is?

I drive it. I park it at work where it might get marks on the paint.
    I'm getting my money's worth out of it by using it, not by hoping it'll make me money as an "investment".

My EVO still smells like smoke. (I've cleaned the ashtray, I have to clean the carpets.)
    But I had the top off the Ferrari when I smoked in it. It never did smell like smoke.

I notice how people talk about the smell of wood smoke not being "carcinogenic".

Well, the *SMELL* of tobacco isn't carcinogenic either --- it's just a smell that people *associate* with carcinogens.

I presume that people have an associational reflex that makes them react to tobacco smoke, not because of the smell of the smoke, but because they associate that smell with carcinogens, their fear of cancer, and (in some cases) the trauma they went through to quit cold turkey.

It's an associational conditioned response.

Many years ago, I walked into a non-smoking room with a cigarette hanging out of my mouth. People started hacking and coughing ...
    ... until they noticed that the cigarette .... wasn't lit.

Having switched to vaping without any major issues, I don't have that triggered reaction to tobacco smoke.
    I don't want to smoke, but I don't get my panties in a bunch when someone else smokes.
    I don't fear that the smell of tobacco smoke will have me start smoking again.

Like they ask at the airport: Did you pack your baggage yourself? ;)

Okay, I do have to verify that I don't have an allergy to propylene glycol -- but that's not just in e-cigs ... it's in food coloring and half the vitamins on the shelves.

Meanwhile, I'm vaping glycerine based e-juice. Which I don't like, because it produces more water vapor. People see the water vapor from an e-cig and start having that "conditioned response" to cigarette smoke .... even when there's no actual smoke.

2. Nick360

Nick360 Rookie

Aug 3, 2011
    New Jersey
    Erm maybe because most of us aren't around Marijuana smokers nor are most people who smoke feed constantly smoking it in their car and in front of their office.

3. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    #53 cheesey, Oct 30, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
    "...Many years ago, I walked into a non-smoking room with a cigarette hanging out of my mouth. People started hacking and coughing ...
    ... until they noticed that the cigarette .... wasn't lit..."

it was not the unburned cigarette, it was the stench that you brought with you from having recently smoked, the smells permiated your clothes and body...

I recently went to a wedding, where two couples in the row behind us fouled the air around them as they sat down, it was not pleasant, had the service not started I would have moved

if only we could turn a smoker's sense of smell on and off so that they could experience first hand we we smell

4. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    How many farts would it take to equal one singular puff of cigarette smoke?

5. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

This subject will be argued for eternity. No smoker will ever be able to understand how foul they smell. None of the other arguments hold water. Smoke some pot in your car, open the windows for ten minutes and the smell is gone. Fart in your car and its gone in less time. Farts and Pot will not cling to your clothing, skin, hair, and breath, not to mention dissipate from the pores of your skin. If smokers could fully understand the stench they live around and force on others, they would stop immediately.

6. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    "... good morning ladies..." said the blind man as he walked past the fish market

7. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    Wow. Thanks for taking the time to respond so thoroughly!

Oh, just taxation. Well, we could discuss taxation at length, but that's not the subject of the thread. Maybe in P&R.

I'm not sure that taxation is the sole issue here. Tobacco has been conclusively proven to be bad for us. I personally don't have much of a problem with paying some tax on things that aren't good for us. And I'm not saying that I'm pure; I do buy a case of beer on occasion, or a bottle or two of wine for a party. I do see a certain logic to taxing tobacco and alcohol, and also, by the way, to legalizing marijuana and taxing it. But, as I said, not the point of this thread, and I think we can agree to disagree on this issue.

Right. That's how I feel about my 308. :D

I'm not so sure about that.

Wood SMOKE probably is. But it doesn't stink, so I am willing to take my chances with wood smoke in small doses.

I don't know if that's true or not. But I can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke. I can certainly understand people who don't want to smell it, and I definitely don't want my car, house, clothes, hair, etc. to smell like it - carcinogenic or not.

Here, I strongly disagree. Tobacco smoke - especially cigarette smoke - STINKS. Not a conditioned response, not a fear of carcinogens, real or imaginary. No smoker has the right to impose that STINK on me.

Maybe that WAS a conditioned response. Or maybe you stank to high heaven because you had been smoking.

Exactly. Well said.

Well, that's great. I've never smoked, so the fear of taking it up isn't an issue for me. However, I do know that the smoke itself is carcinogenic, even if the smell isn't, and for me, the smell is offensive enough that I don't want it imposed on me.

Hmm. . . baggage?

I'm not so sure that those e-cigarettes are all that healthy - but that's your choice.

Still, I'm not so sure that it's just a conditioned response. I'm not too thrilled at the prospect of inhaling water vapor that contains nicotine, either.

It seems like you're going to a lot of trouble to get your nicotine. It might just be simpler to quit altogether. That choice is up to you, though: I'm not telling you what to do.

8. cinevillage

cinevillage Karting

Apr 21, 2004
    ITALY
    Full Name:
    LUCIO
  9. 328turbo

328turbo Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2009
    nyc
    I usually need the smoke after I get out of the Ferrari! ;)

:D :D

10. superbike81

superbike81 Karting

Sep 15, 2011
    I'm all for freedom of choice, if you want to smoke in your Ferrari, fine, that is your choice.

But don't try to act like we (non-smokers) are somehow insulting you by saying it makes the car stink. You might not think it's a big deal, but the fact is, the majority of non-smokers are non-smokers for two reasons, the potential for negative health consequences and the smell. Of course I do know a few non-smokers that actually like the smell, strange to me, but that's their choice.

I wouldn't absolutely say that smoking in a Ferrari will lower the resale value directly, but it will limit your potential buyers if/when you want to sell it. First question I always ask when buying a used car is if it has been smoked in, because even if it has been cleaned inside and out, the smell permeates everything, and I can still smell it. It bothers me, so I won't even consider purchasing the car, even at a discounted price.

I've even bought used plastic interior trim pieces before for old project cars, and I can always smell the smoke right away. You wouldn't think it would permeate plastic, but no matter how much you clean it, that smell will not come out.

11. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    Right.

It's not a "conditioned response;" cigarette smoke STINKS, and I don't want it where I live - whether in my home, car or where I work. Smokers don't get that. They think they, their clothes, their houses and their cars DON'T stink, because they're used to it, or they have killed their taste buds.

It's not about demonizing smokers or telling them what to do. They have a "right" to smoke in or on their own property. But they don't have a "right" to impose that on me - for the stink alone, notwithstanding carcinogens and the other health hazards.

12. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    I have never smoked and never will. Additionally, I will not pass gas in the F-car, not even a little.

13. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    All I know is 10 northern italian cows gave it their all so I could have rich leather seats in my Ferrari. I will not let their memory turn into smoke on their very fine hides. That would be rude of me!! So, no smoking in my car thank you!!! :)

14. Earthboundmisfit

Earthboundmisfit Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I don't smoke and I don't have any friends who smoke. I don't think it's deliberate. It may be subconscious though.

15. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    I'm really hoping that the subject of this thread doesn't descend into a discussion of flatulence, but - just for the record - neither do I.

16. theq

theq Karting

May 7, 2008
    continuim
    Full Name:
    Joel
    I smoke because I'm not allowed to kill people....leagaly

17. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Thank you for making me feel _a little_ more normal! :)