Odd question - What do you tip when parking at valet? | FerrariChat

Odd question - What do you tip when parking at valet?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Race3, Jul 19, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Race3

Race3 Karting

Nov 14, 2010
    This is an odd question perhaps, but i'm curious what others are doing when they park their Ferrari's with valet. Most often, valet folks will allow me to park my car right out front of the establishment and charge the usual valet fee ($15 perhaps is average) for restaurant or bar. I typically have been giving $10 or $15 dollars "additional" as a tip for their kindness in keeping the car out front and keeping an eye on it. Is this a typical amount that others in this situation are tipping? too much? too little? what do you usually do? i'm simply curious.

I typically keep the Ferrari key if they allow, otherwise ask them to not keep starting it and moving it around. Most valet folks are understanding.

thoughts?

2. vas360

vas360 Rookie

Jun 10, 2011
    Hunting Valley Ohio
    $20. Remember, the establishment wants Ferraris up front and center.

3. THonda

THonda Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    TH
    $20 here also.

4. Race3

Race3 Karting

Nov 14, 2010
    those that posted $20... are you saying you give a total of $20 (therefore a $5 tip if the usual fee is $15)?

5. THonda

THonda Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    TH
    Usually no fees here in ny. But in a parking garage I pay the fee plus the tip upfront.

6. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    #6 SfefVan, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
    I never let the valet driving my car and usually hotels are very happy to have the F430 parked in front of the main entrance which serves more the hotel in terms of prestige than myself ;) Once, a hotel manager kindly asked me if I would accept to leave my car a couple of hours more in front of their main entrance. So tipping is not the usual habit here ;)

And I'm never going to park anymore in hotel underground parkings after what happened a couple of weeks ago!

7. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    $20 here as well.

8. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I park it myself and tip the valet $20 USD - If there is an actual "charge" to valet it then I tip $20 in had to the valet over and above the charge. They usually let me hang on to the key but I don't insist on it. Cheers

9. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Our valet charge downtown is only $6 and I also give $20 - 25 total.

10. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Kind of depends but I want the valet to get the lions share. For a lot, if the parking is $5 I give them a $20. If the parking is more I tip $20 on top of the fee. For parking in front of the hotel, I always top $20 plus any parking fees.

11. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #11 PhilNotHill, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    I ask it to be parked up front, and its been accommodated every time.

I tip $20 as well.

One antic dote; My Porsche Turbo was handed over to valet at the Biltmore Hotel in Coral Gables FL and I went in to check in with my lovely weekend date, I forgot my sunglasses so I ran back outside to grab them out of the car, just in time to see my turbo hit 100+ MPH and near redline on the back-straight, I mean road to the valet lot. I was not upset at all, thats how I drive it. I am sure this happens, but less intense than in Ferris Buellers Day Off.

13. big_luke

big_luke Karting

Aug 28, 2010
    $20 (usually just $7 to valet at the bars around here) and they park it right in front of the valet stand.

I made a mistake the first time I valet it and just gave the him $7 to keep it in front of the bar. I came back later and there was a glob of looked like spit on it. It could have been someone randomly passing by though.

14. vas360

vas360 Rookie

Jun 10, 2011
    Hunting Valley Ohio
    fee, plus $20.

15. MikeR397

MikeR397 Formula 3

May 9, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Wow, you guys must all be in LA and NYC. I'm not even sure I'd want to go to a bar if I had to pay $20+ before I even got a insanely overpriced drink. I guess no one wants to be the cheap tipper showing up in an F car, but I hope you guy's don't barhop in the Ferrari or you'll be out $300 before you know it ;).

16. Race3

Race3 Karting

Nov 14, 2010
    This is actually a very valid point. I don't like the idea of paying $35/$40 ($15 valet plus 10-15 tip) when i'm only going to a bar for a quick drink. Sometimes I do meet friends at different bars and this process can get expensive quickly in one night.

Regardless, there are bigger problems in the world... but I was curious how all of you handled this situation. If I went in my regular car, a $5 tip would be totally appreciated... but because we are in the Ferrari, somehow there is the pressure to give more (and I'm not sure that it's really necessary).

17. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I consider it cheap insurance. The establishment wants the cars up front and so do you.

You also want the valet to keep an eye on the car and since exotics attract attention you don't want some moron plopping his rivet-jeaned girlfriend on the hood for a quick pic.

Tipping the valet for that special level of attention can prevent things like this from happening.

Bottom line is the cars attract attention and there is an image associated with pulling up in an exotic. If you hit 5 bars in one night @ $20 per bar and your car is safe as well as building relationships with the valets I consider that cheap insurance.

Just my .02

18. GHG

GHG Formula 3

Jan 29, 2008
    I'm a valet for a company that provides complimentary parking at restaurants and parties, and any tip is appreciated but the ones in the 10-20 range always make our nights much better.

19. Under PSI

Under PSI F1 Rookie

May 13, 2005
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I usually tip $10 when I drop it off and another $10 when I pick it up so $20 total. That is above the valet fee.

20. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    I like this plan, tip both sides [drop-off + pick-up]. I will start doing this as well.

21. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I'm in the $20 total consensus. Occasionally a bit more, occasionally.

22. onefastman

onefastman Karting

Jul 15, 2011
    STL
    Valet is $5 and I give a total of $20