More GTO look, EFI, AMG supercharger, Supertrapps and Magnaflows. | Page 12 | FerrariChat

More GTO look, EFI, AMG supercharger, Supertrapps and Magnaflows.

Discussion in '308/328' started by bert308, Aug 6, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004

cool a 208 turbo in the states.... is that car still around the area?

more pics please

cheers

hf

2. StratMatt777

StratMatt777 Rookie

Dec 29, 2009
    This is so awesome what you are doing!

Now why did Ferrari put Fender flares on a 308 to make it into a GTO? Because you need wider tires to put down the increased power from a stronger engine.

You are simply doing the same thing in response to the need for more grip. And while you are at it you are making it into the most beautiful car shape on earth- the GTO.

Plus it is obvious that your car had some rust issues so you aren't hurting a pristine 308.

I AM a fan of what you are doing to this car! :)

You know what Enzo always said his favorite Ferrari was?
    "The one he will build tomorrow!"

3. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    Someone who can keep an Alfasud looking THAT great in this climate can't have rust issues on a 308!!! ;)

Great work Bert. Keep it up!!!

Hans

4. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Amen times 50.

I'm a die-hard Alfisti and doubt if I'd ever own a Sud again, even though wonderful cars to drive.
    Pete

5. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Yes, they were wonderful little machines, but they were rusting already in the brochures.

How many still exist today?

6. bert308

bert308 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    #281 bert308, Dec 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks guys. Yes I like the Sud very much, I had one as my first car and then ever since. This one is my 3rd and holds up remarkably well, stripped it and repaired the rust when I bought it for beer money 13 years ago and did a quick re-re-repaint some years ago and past month I had to replace a rocker (sill) for the first time. It gets driven summer and winter and had a good portion of snow and salt in the past weeks. Sud owners all know each other over here it seems there are less than 100 registered in the Netherlands (much less then Ferrari 308) and it is not very popular as a classic, there are thousands of 105 series Alfas for example, but some people are restoring them or importing surviving examples from Italy.
    Just watched the Wil de Groot vid with his supercharged 308: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0QmjBYds8Y that is a well sorted car. In may/april my job may go on a 50% rate for 6 weeks and I may have more time then, also in july I will have 3 weeks for the 308.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. lostbowl

lostbowl Formula 3

Apr 30, 2009
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tom
    WOW Dude you are over the top! Awesome job! Lostbowl

8. Mfoncerrada

Mfoncerrada Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2009
    Monterey, CA
    Full Name:
    Miguel Foncerrada
    Awesome thread! Any progress this year?

9. bert308

bert308 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    I plan to get back working on the car next month and then have it painted before end of year. Then engine & electrical work etc. I will update this thread when there is progress and pictures to show!

10. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    we're all waiting Bert! :):)

11. catwalk

catwalk Rookie

Jul 14, 2006
    new york city
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buyak
    waiting ....please :)

12. bert308

bert308 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    Wow you signed up over 4 years ago and your first post is in my project thread, I feel honoured!
    I made some dumb decisions in the past year, not a good idea to do some work first on another car (the Alfa) as that got out of control and then my only working car broke down, the Lancia Montecarlo something with a valve. So now I´m working hard to finish my Alfa (repaint) and then I will get back to the 308 project. The Lancia returns to hibernation like it did 8 years ago when the engine first broke down, I revived it 3 years ago with a lot of effort but only short pleasure so this time that 2.0 Fiat twin cam won´t be repaired but replaced with an Alfa 3.0 24v V6 haha (to make it a full cousin to Dino 246, Lancia Stratos and one off Alfa Sprint 6c). But not after the 308 is back on the road.
    Work on the 308 will restart in a few months.

13. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    Waiting with eager anticipation!

Ciao,
    George

14. giade

giade Rookie

Dec 19, 2004
    NEW MEXICO USA
    #289 giade, Feb 12, 2011
    C'Bell, sSo,...Just for the Sake of Completion..from 'Several Orbits Ago'...the PROBLEM with my Longitudinally RePositioned BLUEPRINTED WEBER Aspirated 14K Mi 2.9 Ltr Originale V8, w/Headers....that i Asked Everyone WHY it was NOT AdVancing...for FIFTEEN YEARS!!! Turned out to be that One of the Marelli Distributors was 180 off...that Car was FIRING on FOUR CYLINDERS FOR OVER FIFTEEN YEARS!!!! & ran FINE!, it was just Very slow... RRADDical.... John Bedford DIScovered the Problem in 14 minutes...yes, 'Gianni', as i call him, put the Correct Oil Filter on also...
    'Regalita Nero ViolA', S/N 22811, 'Teleported' to an Avid Ferrari selection in Spain last Summer... a Concours 8Kmi. '97 'GiallOMOdena' 550 currently resides..
    ~ HAPPY ENDing ~ Devotamente, gF

15. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    SHWEET!!!!!

16. viper_driver

viper_driver Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2009
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Am I reading this right? You drove on 4 cylinders for 15 years? I did this once for about 5 miles, the horsepower must have been about 100 and the gas mileage about 2.

Really??

17. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #292 miketuason, Feb 12, 2011
  18. bert308

bert308 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    I agree with Viper Driver, this is unbelieveable! It shouldn´t be that difficult to diagnose the car was only running on 4, and then some searching to see why. You struggled for 15 years while all it took was swapping 2x2 ignition wires on 1 bank (that should have done the trick I agree putting the dist in the correct position is the proper repair). Power was half and fuel use double, because all the fuel on 1 bank went out unused. That is bad for the engine as the fuel would have removed the oil film in the cilinders and also uneven thermal expansion.
    Well, you have another F now, allthough just a regular assembly line one :)

19. bert308

bert308 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    I have seen this one before...what does the sign say, ´Race Ferrari Parking Only`? Great to this on the side of the road as if the owner was doing some shopping.

20. bert308

bert308 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    I see also the Zertec Mondial Z project thread is brought back up on top, there are more projects lurking like the Wil de Groot scratchbuild Mazzer, it is tough for a normal working guy to stay focused on a car build and like me some have published fixed dates for expected progress but it always takes more time. Mark E is very dedicated and disciplined but his build is also lasting years longer than expected.
    My Lancia dropped a valve or something in the head (maybe a sodium exhaust failed) and it needs some other repairs but I decided to put it away and will do the 308 first. I drive around in a half finished Alfasud for now and I want to build first a fiber frontspoiler for that one, I have made a steel one that I will copy. It is an easy project but I have never worked with fiber and resin before so maybe if it turns out well, I will do more like the 308 front spoiler.
    Before summer there will be new and regular updates to this project.

21. matumorales

matumorales Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2011
    Asunción, Paraguay
    Full Name:
    Daniel Morales
    Hi there, Bert!!

Any updates on your project?? Mine has been sleeping for a month now; my wife's daily driver needed attention, so I had to put the family's mechanic (me) to work on it rather than on the Ferrari.

Have you received your GTO panels yet? BTW, check out this part:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ferrari-288-GTO-RH-Upper-Air-Inlet-Grille-241-82-198-00-/110855907274?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19cf86e7ca

That'll be useful to set the "scale" right on those rear windows air inlets, don't you think?

22. bert308

bert308 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    #297 bert308, Apr 14, 2012
    That screen for the air inlet is a German market only requirement I think. The rear fenders I bought have part of the air channel under the rear windows build to it so I think that will define the inward angle to the rear side windows and everything else will follow from that.
    A quick update for everyone, I won a pair of fiber rear fenders copied of an original GTO on ebay for only $699, I was the only bidder. The seller found them in an estate he was liquidating and in that estate were also moulds for many of the other panels, he already sold the moulds but brought me in contact with the company that bought them, and they will make me a complete front clip and the rear panel and spoiler upper and lower. I will only need to fabricate the rear under part myself so this will take the quality of the end result to a much higher level.

23. bert308

bert308 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    #298 bert308, Apr 14, 2012
    This was over 2 months ago and the builder of the parts said it was to cold and they had a snowstorm, in California! But I googled "weather in + the towns name" and it was true, however this was also a while ago and I should sent another mail.
    Before I found the parts I had already decided to build a full wheelbase GTO lookalike so around Christmas I had removed all the home made panels already and made new rear A arms to get the 2450 mm wheelbase.

24. bert308

bert308 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    #299 bert308, Apr 14, 2012
  25. bert308

bert308 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    #300 bert308, Apr 14, 2012
    And then there were lots of other things, like my Alfasud threw a piston trough the cilinder wall. I think a valve got damaged when the flywheel broke september 2011 and the engine spun to over 8000 rpm, maybe. So I had to find and prepare another motor. I found one that had been lying around for years of unkown origin, that is in there now and it works well but I´m also building an "all new" spare 8v with new oversize pistons, cams and everything. That takes time.