Looking for LR3 feedback | FerrariChat

Looking for LR3 feedback

Discussion in 'British' started by Adrift, Aug 5, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Adrift

Adrift Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2004
    Dallas area
    A friend is considering purchasing a used LR3 for travel / towing / light-off-road duty, with occassional commuting. The alternatives being considered are a new FJ Cruiser or Xtera.

The big concern so far is that online research seems to indicate the LR is suspect in the reliability arena.

Any insights / experiences people wouldnt mind sharing?

TIA

2. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #2 JoeZaff, Aug 5, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
    I had a LR3 for two years/35K miles. It never had any problem of any kind whatsoever. HOWEVER, I hated the car. It lacked the character of my old Disco/defender, and had a REALLY annoying problem with lurching occasionally when you step on the gas. This is a problem with ALL LR3's, and it has to do with the engine management. It is like you step on the gas, wait a second and bang your off. I have driven countless LR3s and they all have the same problem. They also handle like crap and have no torque...well they have torque, but not down low, you have to rev the thing (that's what happens when you share your engine architecture with a car--notably a Jaguar). They are exceptional off-roading, but can suck in snow-though not your concern in Dallas-another common gripe. They can probably tow an oil tanker with their dual speed transfer case, but your not going to win any acceleration contests. They have an excellent turning radius and incredible visability, but really crappy city gas mileage. In Philly, I would be lucky if I broke 13MPG,
    and my best ever highway mileage was 18MPG. One cool feature which is seldom mentioned is that you can drop the ride height at a touch of a button to get into some lower garages. This was a godsend for me! I would wait for the LR4 that is about to come out, it has a much larger engine, which will probably solve most of my gripes with the LR3...and the interior is light years ahead IMHO.

In short, I hated the car...but I love the brand and am optimistic about the future.

If you have any questions in particular, please ask, I used to be a certified Land Rover nut case...I can rack my brain for anything you need.

3. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I had an 06 for less than a year, was towed back to the dealer 7 times, Land Rover bought the car back.

4. Adrift

Adrift Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2004
    Dallas area
    Interesing feedback so far; not great, for sure. lol

Now he has thrown used Cayenne's into the picture to muddy the water.

5. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    "suspect in the reliability area"...
    Surely you jest. Suspect is an understatement. Google "Land Rover reliability". Enough said.

6. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Maybe its just my good fortune. But I never had any problem that I can recall with any of my land rovers. I think the deal with LR's is, if you get a good one, they are problem free, but when you get a bad one...its game over. Its like the factory only builds good cars three days a week :)

7. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve
    As another vote in favour of the LandRover. I have an MY08 LR3 and love it for what it is and what it can do (definitely not a sports car!). It has been faultless in the 18 months we have had it and our next door neighbours have one too and they have put significantly more miles on it and it too has been faultless.

8. TRScotty

TRScotty F1 Rookie
    Owner

Oct 12, 2006
    Tyler, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scotty
    I've had mine for about four months now and I have to agree with Joe.
    I really like what LR has done to update the car, but it has definitely lost the character of the Discovery.

I'm an LR nut, too, and love the brand, its provenance and class in much the same way I love Ferrari.
    I will likely sell the LR3 to buy a low-mileage Disco and a RR Sport.
    The LR4 should also be a great leap forward, FWIW.

9. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    TBH my only owner experience was with the range rover and I guess I got one of the ones that was built the day everyone in the factory was drunk. Stranded on the highway, continuous electrical problems, driveshaft failure ...Beyond being back in the service department more than on the road with rarely a loaner , then not even offering KBB on trade for a new Sport ( which they arrogantly wanted LIST price for)... I can't imagine why anyone would remotely consider buying such a rapidly depreciating, unreliable POS when they are so many better SUVs on the market.

10. TRScotty

TRScotty F1 Rookie
    Owner

Oct 12, 2006
    Tyler, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scotty
    Well, there are "better" cars than a Ferrari, too.

I would say that there are many, many cars that would qualify as "better" than a Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, Bentley, RR, Land Rover, etc. (insert name of chosen ultra-luxury/sports/exotic car here).
    We clearly buy them because they have something that ignores what is "better" on paper.
    The market consists of several SUVs that may well be "better" on paper than my LR3, but I'll keep the old English chap for now. :D:D

11. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #11 JoeZaff, Aug 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Umm, but how many of them can do this...

I've taken my Disco into serious terrain . I have a picture somewhere of it balanced perfectly on two wheels in a rock garden. Off-road a disco can do things other SUVS, including the mighty wrangler (except the new rubicon) just can't do. I thought it was all hype until I went out there.

One of my greatest regrets was selling that car to get the LR3. I get depressed every time I think about it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Well call me crazy, but when they bought back the LR3, I bought a loaded RR, and yes it had a few problems, but I love the big box, so after 2 1/2 years it is still in my driveway.

13. DHoffmann

DHoffmann Karting

Feb 21, 2007
    Victoria, Australia
    Full Name:
    Daan
    '06, still in our hands, 100,000kms later. Not a single breakdown, has been an absolute workhorse and dream car. It's a relatively luxurious car, as well as very comfortable on road and absolutely fantastic off. It's towed around 1 tonne cross country for around 2000kms. It's carried 5 people and 4 mountain bikes without the use of a trailer. Only real downside I can think of is bringing it in to the dealership gets expensive fairly quickly, but ours only needed to go back for services. It seems we've got one of the 3 good day cars...

14. Roell

Roell Karting

Oct 31, 2005
    Milwaukee
    I recently test drove both an 08 lr3 and an 06 Range Rover. I though they both drove really well. I thought the LR3 was a little smoother ride.
    I went with the Range due to the size and the ability to fit three car seats in the back seat. I dont think I could fit all three in the second row of the LR3 and I am not comfortable with one of the kids in the third row. FWI, we already have a minivan, this is a winter driver, minivan in the shop alternative.
    I guess part of my thinking is that I don't want a car that everyone else in the world has.