WHO HAS (unintentionally, of course) PUSHED THE LIMITS ON A BELT CHANGE | FerrariChat

WHO HAS (unintentionally, of course) PUSHED THE LIMITS ON A BELT CHANGE

Discussion in '308/328' started by santacaferacer, Mar 25, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. santacaferacer

santacaferacer Karting

Jan 6, 2009
    Along the same lines as my high mileage thread, I'm sure there are some folks out there that have for one reason or another (money, time, lack of local qualified service, etc...) pushed their belt change beyond recommended limits. Some of you may not wish to disclose this should future buyers be reading this! Mine is not due for 10K more miles but it is beyond the 5 year limit which means I should be planning this very soon. My mechanics inspected the belts visually and gave them a clean bill of health so I will hold them accountable if things go south! Which also brings up the issue of this thread....how many miles or how many years has anyone gone over the limit without catastrophic results. This may have been discussed before and I apologize but being a relative newbie here I have not found a similar thread in my search.

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I drove one home across the country on 7 year old belts...they are 12 - 14 years old now....

The car is parked, waiting on the funds to repair...NOT recommended!

3. ace_pilot

ace_pilot Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    George
    Did they break?

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    And people wonder why shops with any reputation at all or any signifcant amount of experience go with factory recommendations.

This guy is exactly why every customer signature on every repair order here is directly above bold red type quoting TSB 1215 and TSB 1003.

5. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #5 miketuason, Mar 25, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
    7 1/2 years, 7500 miles and ran trac with it once.
    Also Not recomended

6. santacaferacer

santacaferacer Karting

Jan 6, 2009
    I'm actually too nice to hold anyone accountable for something that is actually my responsibility. They made no guarantees to me. I respect them. I was being a bit facetious.

7. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    My 308 is in the shop this very minute getting new belts and tensioners. 3rd time in 11 years for me.

The car ran fine, made no noises, but it was time.

These are things you simply HAVE to do. There should be a law...

8. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    Not a 308 but I bought my 348 drove it for 3 years 15k miles.

This is before F-chat So to be straight I didn't even know it had belts. The car came with no records either.

So I didn't worry one bit. Sometimes not knowing is the best course of action.

9. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    The last documented belt change when I bought my car in 2007 was in 1985. I drove the car home (3+ hours on the freeway) on those belts.

10. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    please

someone,

make the pain go away....

11. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    I always change my belt just before it breaks. Works for me.

12. chairpilot

chairpilot Formula 3

Mar 3, 2007
    LA, CA & Olympia, WA
    Full Name:
    PlateClipGuys
    What??? You don't push the clutch in and turn off the ignition just before?

13. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    ignorance is bliss ....... but, not for us all here unfortunately, wrong personality type I guess.

14. OCFerrari

OCFerrari Karting

Jan 20, 2009
    My dad's car currently has 271,000 miles on it. It had one belt change, at around 165,000 miles.

15. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    When my 308 arrived, I spent near $7K at Norwood for a major service and minor-sorting but deeply-buried items that showed up during their thorough process.

Belts and bearings from previous 3-year and 7k-mile-old major were perfect, but I'm over-anal and believe in starting at a baseline.

Personally, I think Ferrari is running a scam with very-close-interval change recs. I'll have them inspected at 3 years ownership, and get a complete engine detail-out if it hasn't been done by then.

Timing chains were the best idea, but my guess is that a lot of folks that buy a long-ownership or neglected vintage 12 find that the chain wasn't kept at proper tension, and needs replacing...might as well do all this other crap while we're in here, big $$$ job.

16. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    I bought my 1986 328 in 2003 (just 21.000 miles on theodometer). It was still running on original belts. I drove it carefully to my mechanic place (20 miles). Now it is 3 years interval for me (just installed 3rd set).
    BUT... I am still on original bearings.
    Ciao
    Eugenio

17. furnacerepair

furnacerepair Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Martini
    I bought a 308 in 2006 that had 20 years on the belts. Last change was in 1986. There was only 3000K on the belts but 20 years. I did a major service right away. The belts looked fine but were real loose. Tensioners needed to be replaced like now. Hard driving this one would have been stupid. My personal ride gets belts anywhere from 3 to 5 years depending on use. Sitting time is also seems bad for the belts.

18. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    last belt change on mine prior to purchase was 9 years earlier in 1997. Only 6k miles were put on those belts. They were loose when I changed them but the tenioner bearings still felt new. I changed everything regardless.

19. Tokyo Drftr

Tokyo Drftr Formula 3

Jan 18, 2009
    UA-USA-JP
    Full Name:
    Ро&#1081
    My car came from Utah to Cal, then i put another 3 hour drive home on 10year/10'000 mi belts. Got home and changed immediately. Belts and tensioner looked perfect. Simply front belt was loose.

20. redline76

redline76 Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2008
    Venice, CA
    Full Name:
    Warren V
    I think the better question to ask is if anyone has experienced a broken belt on their Ferrari, or any other car for that matter, and what were the circumstances leading up to the breakage (mileage, maintenance history).

There's little doubt in my head that the timing belt maintenance interval is excessively short. There isn't anything particularily unusual about the design of the 308 engine or the quality of materials used for Ferrari belts that would make it more susceptible to failure than other cars. The costs of failure are very high though, so it's not a tough sell to get customers to believe that the belts need more frequent changing.

My point is moot; mine were just done with 3K and 4.5 years on 'em, so I'm just as much a victim of fear mongering maintenance as the next :)

At least it helps to preserve the value of the car and other minor issues (leaking seals, updated bearings) were addressed so I can rationalize the expense.

Cheers,

-w-

21. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy

I was driving my little 1990 Ford Ranger home 2 years ago when it just stopped running.

The timing belt broke. At least you can simply put a new one on those and drive it again as is, which I did.

I think that belt had 17 years and 190K on it.

22. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    When I bought my car, back in '86, the belts had just been done at the Bob Sharp in CT. In '98 after 1000 miles of track use, I changed the rear bank belt; it was pretty easy to do. The front bank takes a lot more work because of the A/C compressor so I just left that one.

23. Fiat4Fun

Fiat4Fun Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2008
    Sunriver OR
    Full Name:
    Bob
    "When I bought my car, back in '86, the belts had just been done at the Bob Sharp in CT. In '98 after 1000 miles of track use, I changed the rear bank belt; it was pretty easy to do. The front bank takes a lot more work because of the A/C compressor so I just left that one."

NOW that is brave!!!!!! not to sure about that one!!!

One little story, the guy who I bought my 328 from, had a '79 308 that had low miles prior to getting his 328. His car was owned by Rick Mears sometime previously, and after he got it, his belt broke!!! He was lucky (or smart) that he had a warranty on it, and they "rebuilt" that bank of the motor. He said the sound was "something he will never forget". I hope I don't have that experience.

24. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    I, for the life of me, don't know why some 308 owners out there are such *******. The belts and bearings that I just bought didn't cost $250. Barring issues with the A/C compressor (removing it), you're looking at a two-weekend job for one person that 'might' prevent $20,000 in engine damage. The people who bring up these threads probably need a manual and 20 hours of instruction to operate a screwdriver. All they know how to do is write checks to their mechanic who probably rapes them royally on their repair bills because the owners don't know any better. Then they come on FChat and whine about belt service.....please. Just Stop. Its not that hard to do. Its not that expensive to do. It doesn't take that much time to do. And its once every five years. Do it or sell the car to someone who cares about it.

25. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I knew that car, used to work on it. When Rick Mears had it the license plate was 1INDY79. The car was part of the prizes he got for the 79 Indy win.