1995 355 GTS of Sonoma auto center | FerrariChat

1995 355 GTS of Sonoma auto center

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by Stbernard, Feb 18, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Stbernard

Stbernard Karting

Mar 29, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Benjamin
  2. rboost

rboost Karting

Nov 4, 2005
    Santa Clara, Ca
    Full Name:
    Reiny B
    I called to find out some info about a month ago, they had no clue about valve guides or a major service. Car is on consignment from an insurance broker who bought it from a gentleman who owned some car dealership in Marin. They faxed me (after two days) some receipts claiming all services done..receipts were for minor things like oil change and a brake fluid flush, nothing major. They would not even give me an idea of what I could buy it for...I figure it is worth about 50k if it survives a good PPI.

3. Stbernard

Stbernard Karting

Mar 29, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Benjamin
    Thanks for the info Buddy

4. RRRREDRVR

RRRREDRVR Karting

Jul 28, 2004
    Aptos CA
    Full Name:
    M Kitchen
    As the owner of a '95 F355GTS myself, I can tell you that there were only approximately 40 GTS models imported into the US in 1995, making it one of the rarest 355s. And, the F355 is OBD I, NOT OBD II. The difference is dual intake porting with 2 mass-airflow sensors, as opposed to 1 on all later 355 models. This gives the '95 a slight edge in horsepower, and a much nicer intake note than later models. There are also other small differences, such as no access panel or storage compartments on the firewall behind the seats. Mine has 34K on it and has had the headers replaced, but as yet has not required the valve guide repair. They also tend to require replacement of the electric fans as the bushings fail. Otherwise, its a very SOLID car, and would a BARGAIN at $50K (or even $60K for that matter).

5. 335s

335s Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    T. Monma
    These models MUST be properly vetted.
    They suffer from a littany of dr-design changes-called updates, modifications, take your pick...
    The fact remains that tyhere are several key break points for the details sort of running changes...
    Firstly, the early erarly cars have single piece belly pans-real pain in the arse when oil servicing the vehicle, secondly, and sort of a biggie for the 2.7 Motronic: way fewer bolts holding the upper half to the lower half of each side of the "plenums".
    Center elements in the wheels are also in this run as are the orange hoses blowing onto the Front caliers...
    Later versions dealt with axle joiont heat shields, power steering reservoir's anti puking(all 2.7 cars do this) complaints, fuel log federally ordered/mandated RECALLs for the leaks...
    Later on are the concentric coller throw out bearings and the actual collars(1000+.. in '96!), countless seal updates, noisy Voith units, noisy brakes, etc.
    Certain cars had an issue with the actual tanks...

The belt tensioners ALL neecd to be UPDATED at 1st Belt re-placement.
    THIS IS A MANDATORY and EXPENSIVE-YET REQUIRED-PROPER EXPENDITURE.
    Do not cheap out on this item!

All '95 cars have issues with headers...sort of a case of "when" as oppossed to "if"-DO NOT DELUDE YOURSELF, the day will conme and you WILL need them-BOTH sides.
    Catalysts SHOULD have been mandated by EPA to have been warranteed-as they alnmost always seem to need replacement....not merely the NOx-but HC is also a problem.

Which leads to the last-and most costly-EVENTUALITY: VALVE GUIDES. THEY are ALL going to need doing, in ALL cars, AND the valves will probably be worn out at this juncture as well...it is the price we pay for the HIGHEST-power version...
    A "test piped", and re-chipped EPROM Motronic2.7 car, with a TUBI and a Challenge Grille, is what ALL 355s SHOULD be....

After 1995, it seems that the power loss due to Motronic 5.2, required that the gearing be brought down in order to keep 1996 cars from "feeling" as quick as a 1995{which they don't-IMHO}, this was NOT an observation, but a statement of explanation, from our field representative....
    I did PDIs on 10-15 of these things... so I know them up close and personally...

If the car has not got the documentation of these as recently done by a known quantity-price it accordingly.
    This could be be a good car, or one which is "too expensive if even a gift!"....as the expression goes...
    Good luck, and do the Buyers Check with a LEAK DOWN TEST!!!!