WET AIRBUS | FerrariChat

WET AIRBUS

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by sparky p-51, Jan 21, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sparky p-51

sparky p-51 Formula 3

Aug 8, 2004
    klamath falls, Or.
    Full Name:
    steve
    #1 sparky p-51, Jan 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Closer to a miracle!!

3. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    #3 Bob Parks, Jan 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
    I'm probably going to unleash a firestorm of criticism but I know and have known quite a few airline pilots who could and would have done the same thing and just as well. I mean not to diminish the beautiful job the pilot did in this case but he had the attitude, the skill, the training, and the years to meld everything together to orchestrate a successful conclusion. Certainly he is a hero but there are many other heroes out there who have yet to be tested and probably never will be.

4. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    to the aviation experts...does this plane go back into service? parted out, recycled/scrap metal, sent to the boneyard...?

5. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    No criticism here. It seems to me that the water was an obvious choice considering the alternatives.

That said, it's not too often that someone gets to make a "dead-stick" landing with a big jet full of paying customers. Sully did a fine job there.

The quick payout to the passengers ($5000 each + expenses) was a standup thing for the airline to do, although I'm sure a few will sue for big money.

6. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Being a total electronic airplane and a badly beat up airframe that has been soaked in muddy water that has salt in it...
    A trip to the scrap yard appears in my crystal ball.

7. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Most likely it will be scrapped or maybe used for a movie prop.

8. 348_Spiderman

348_Spiderman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    Cumming, GA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Sue on what grounds? Doesn't anyone purchasing a commercial airline ticket assume that there is some risk (no matter how minute) that you may be involved in a crash? I don't know, I guess walking away from a plane crash would be right up there in the category of "Sheesh, I think I need to be a better person and live each day to the fullest" Then again, I may have provided my own evidence...there are people who would look at this as an opportunity to financially secure funds to be able to live life to the fullest. That just makes me sick!

I know this is off topic, but it is also along the same lines of good samaritans getting sued for saving someones life. That makes me sick too.

9. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Adding to the amazement -- the weight of the 'wet' plane was estimated at over 500 tons!

10. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    You are of course right on the money.

I merely suggested that there are likely a few that will consider this their big opportunity and try to turn this into a big payday.

Considering that most were uninjured (cold and wet perhaps) and will have a lifetime of things to talk about (braggin' rights) it may not get far. The "ambulance chasers" will suggest emotional trauma (admitedly a scary experience) and there's the good old claim, "loss of consortium" to fall back on.

I hope most of them just count their blessings and move on.

11. Redlambo

Redlambo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2004
    Pendergrass GA
    Full Name:
    Vic Woloschinow
    First off let me say I am not advocating any lawsuit here. However I did hear that one individual did manage to break both their legs (link below). Now if I were that individual I would be damn happy to be alive, but I would expect compensation for my two broken legs.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01162009/news/regionalnews/crash_rescue_a_real_slam_dunk_150470.htm

12. sparky p-51

sparky p-51 Formula 3

Aug 8, 2004
    klamath falls, Or.
    Full Name:
    steve
    #12 sparky p-51, Jan 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It was a flight attendant I believe. Wouldn't be surprised if her employment contract accounted for such things.

14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Agree totally. He did a great job. Same as I would expect from a great many experienced professional pilots.

15. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Bob do you remember the JAL 707 that made a beautiful landing in San Francisco about 3 miles short of the runway on a foggy day in about 1969 or 70?

The thing sat on its gear in the mud with the water licking at the belly for a week or so while they figured out how to lift it out. One of my best friends dad was in charge of the operation. He said by the time it was out the salt water had done a fair amount of damage to the aluminum. That plane was repaired and went back into service. The owner of the heavy lift company and his wife were the only two passengers aboard for its maiden flight to Honolulu. I knew them as well.

Way different than being almost totally submerged with a much more complex aircraft though. Not to mention the modern day liabilities and PR problems.

16. Redlambo

Redlambo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2004
    Pendergrass GA
    Full Name:
    Vic Woloschinow
    I agree it will be scrapped. I think the plane was going on 10 years old. Hell look at the parking lot of planes that the airlines have just sitting in the desert.

http://www.dawn.com/2001/10/13/int12.htm

17. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Bill O'Reilly has promised to publicize, investigate and chastise any lawyer, or law firm, that goes after US Air or the pilot and/or flightcrew.

I don't think you could sue for a birdstrike.......act of god and all that.....perhaps if LaGuardia was proven negligent in bird control operations, which exist, you may have a case, but it is doubtful and far fetched IMHO

18. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    The birds were well away from the airport and on their Hudson Valley Flyway I think. Big flock going somewhere. Recent pictures of the airplane after removal from the river show multiple birdstrike damage on the radome and nose. Water couldn't have made brown marks and the nose was too high of an angle when it landed.

19. Cajun

Cajun Formula 3

Mar 20, 2004
    Da BY-U
    Full Name:
    MJG

Bill O'Reilly!!!! That alone would be enough to deter me!!! (WTF-Ever)

20. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I don't remember that one off hand but if the immersion was partial, that part of the airframe that was damaged by the salt water was probably removed and replaced up to probably a foot above the high water line. Electrical and plumbing stuff was easy to replace on the old 707's and it was done many times by the AOG crews . I had a hand in the repair drawings on several 707 accidents where extensive fire as well as impact damage was rebuilt but today's Airbus is so full of electronics that the soaking in salt water makes this unit a throwaway.

21. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It was pretty big news at the time. It landed in San Francisco Bay and made quite a picture for the press. Water was shallow enough with the plane on its wheels only about 2 feet of the belly was submerged. The plane suffered suprisingly little damage. You guys build 'em pretty good.

Electronics and salt water are not a very good combination.

22. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Speaking of water, someone posted a comment that they couldn't believe that the airplane had a million pounds of water in it. Water weighs 165+ pounds per cubic foot ( if I remember). When you calculate the internal volume of that big an airplane you can see where it can hold a few ponds of water.

I'll be interested to see if that airplane has shear pins in the strut and engine attach points. Looks like it where the No.1 engine came off without making a big hole in the wing. Boeing's have shear pins in the landing gear oleo strut and engine stuff.

23. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Pure water is 62.4 lbs/cu-ft, sea water is about 64.

24. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Thanks. I must have been thinking of concrete I should take time to look things up again.