CS rims repair | FerrariChat

CS rims repair

Discussion in '360/430' started by Bandorka, Mar 29, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bandorka

Bandorka Karting

Oct 9, 2007
    Budapest
    Full Name:
    András
    Hi,

Can you somehow fix the rimes if you accidentally hit the pavement and there are some scrathes on it?

May be a stupid question but still. Answers much appreciated...

Best,

B

2. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    With surface scratches, any reputable collision shop should be able to refinish the wheel.

3. Joe360

Joe360 Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2007
    Germany&Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Not a stupid question at all. Same happened to me, had the wheel refinished within two days. Price was about 200€.

4. Bandorka

Bandorka Karting

Oct 9, 2007
    Budapest
    Full Name:
    András
    Great. Thank you for the answers. What a relief....

5. shawsan

shawsan Formula 3

Jul 2, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    If you want to do a perfect restoration, then take it to the best body/paint shop you can and they will file down and/or fill the scratches/gouges and repaint the entire rim. If you want to do an interim restoration, you can (i) use a really small flat file to smooth out the gouges where tire rim meets the wheel, (ii) find a matching silver touch up paint, which isn't always easy, and (iii) use a small, pointed artists brush to touch the surface up. Most likely, only you will see where the touch up was done, assuming you exercise care and have some skills. If you do it yourself, be sure the file is very small and you control it over the scratched area, not letting it slip and further scratch nearby undamaged areas. Later, if you accumulate scratches on several wheels and/or want the car to be 100% prior to selling, then a perfect restoration by a body/paint shop is highly recommended.

6. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    While realizing I'm practically talking apples to oranges here, I'll still offer this...

Had a car (non f-car) in at the dealer being repaired for a collision due to a sideways slide into a curb. Both passengers wheels where scraped up.
    The dealer had "a respectable body shop" grind down the damage and repaint them. When I went to pick up the car I saw their "repair" which looked like complete ****. I was shocked to see that the body shop only filled down the damage, maybe took some sandpaper to it, then painted them. Terrible repair job.
    I called my insurance company and refused to take possesion of the car until I received 2 new wheels (which I eventually got).

Just telling the story as a warning to be really picky to any "repairs" done. Also, be sure any repaired wheel is completely rebalanced as the removal of wheel material can change the center of balance. If it's not done to your liking, don't back down and hold your insurance company to a true repair (if you are filing a claim).