Carbon | FerrariChat

Carbon

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by 2000YELLOW360, Dec 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    I just got through reading the thread where a lot of people jumped on Carbon. The complaints were: 1. He owes someone money, and 2. He is a drunk, 3. He used the FML data base to help someone, and lastly 4. He changed his name. What was interesting was that the entire thread was a personal attack on him, but nobody got banned, not a single person.

What is interesting is that 1. The claim that he owes someone money is probably not accurate. The facts, as I know them, are that he crashed someone's 355, and owes for the repair. However, if he was a permissive driver, the insurance on that car should cover him, therefore little or no debt. 2. He legally changed his name. A lot of people do that, it's perfectly legal, and there is absolutely no reason for anyone to complain about it.

As for the data base usage: I don't think so, that information is in the public domain, and he had a right to help someone. I note that Mr. Roush didn't bother to provide the person asking for information with any data. Carbon did. Draw your own conclusions about Mr. Roush, and his usefulness to anyone on this forum.

Carbon does drink too much, or least least he did. So what, if that was a criteria, I bet 50% of the people here would be gone. Carbon has always been helpful to everyone who's had a question, and from what I can see, always treated everyone respectfully. Why certain members of this board decided to gang up on him is something that only they can answer.

The important issue however is the moderators. Where were they? Personal attacks are supposed to be against the rules, where were they? Could it be that Darth is right: selective enforcement? Your comments?

Art

2. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS

First off, I applaud you for your post. As I asked a week ago and never received a straight answer (Like I expected one), as what constitutes an 'Attack'. My opinion is that it varies from Mod to Mod from Mood to Mood. You are spot-on in stating that nobody got banned for the attacks on Carbon, but when Dave M decided that I was 'attacking' BRUCE (And visa-versa), we both got banned (By Dave M) and he threw Darth in the ban for the hell of it (IMO)! I did not see a post from any other Mod with their opinion on the ban, so that leads me to believe it's open season at FC to ban people at their own discretion and (IMO), double standards have existed since the day Allan Lambo was given a Perma-Ban.

I agree on your comment of 'selective enforcement', and yes, Darth is right and I have never seen (Please correct me if I am wrong) Rob reverse a ban after one has been made by one of his Mod's.

Bottom line, the Mod's will continue to do what hey wish, as they have been tasked to do so. Some of the Mod's are easy going and will let most things slide while there are others that use their 'Power' to the limit, kinda like the small town sheriff who is the sheriff, the mayor and Justice of the Peace! If anyone does not like the way things are ran at FC, they need to find another board to post on, as I believe things will never change and personal discretion on behalf of the Mod's will always rule the roost.

3. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The attack on Carbon was wrong. If someone has issues with someone they should not make it a public event. What is worse was some very established members were bashing on Carbon. Truthfully, I think that’s worse.

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think that is all over now, right?

As often happens in a public forum a good picture of the actual facts came out in the long run and in the process made some fools, geniuses, and legal targets. Not sure if anyone was banned or warned in that thread, I'm sure there was but don't have the data. Mods and the users involved can bring this all up again if they want if there still needs to be clarifications.

5. 2000YELLOW360

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Rob:

You've missed the point: Carbon got beat up, and beat up against the rules. You set the tone, and if the Mods don't enforce your rules, who will? Mods didn't ban anyone, and frankly, given the tone of the argument, some of the posters violated each and every rule you've established to have a congenial chat.

He has been one of the most giving members, and this shouldn't have been tolerated, but it was. Your mods need a talking to, or perhaps they don't care.

Art

6. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini
    Art,

Nothing was done to Carbon that was out of line.

Can't help if people are calling him a drunk and I can't comment on it besides have been called by a drunken Carbon once or twice.

He borrowed money(interest free) from a fellow member to buy a car with and then borrowed more money to fix the car that he wore down and then in the end stop paying back that loan.

He borrowed a f-car and cracked it up. Borrowed other users f-cars without their permission.

He worked for a company who don't quote me but I beleive they have a copyrighted db that somehow through outing by his former employer he got a copy of the said db.

All the facts came out and some members didn't like that the golden boy has a very tarnished side that is being brought up by other users. Carbon still runs through here with a Consultant title and if Rob wants him with that status it is up to Rob to have him assciated with the board in that manner.

Nothing was said was untrue sorry if you don't like it. Not sure what your aim here bringing this back up maybe some coaxing by Pete or Darth I would imagine.

7. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I do like posting here, so I'll keep my mouth shut on this one, as I would be guaranteed a wrongful permaban for speaking my mind!

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Art, if you are trying to work WITH FerrariChat.com on areas you think need improvement, then great. If you are just trying to bait users for the lawsuit you and Carbon are putting together, then please keep it offline.

9. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    This, coming from the one who hasn't had an original thought yet, is comical at best. There is no reason whatsoever for you to say that, based on our infrequent, specific interactions here.

Cut the crap and just say NO!

10. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht

Art,

With Carbon, I think he did get dogpiled a but but from what I know, he probably deserved it. It does sound like he was irresponsible and screwed over some members, so its hard to feel bad for him on this one. There is often bickering here with users making personal attacks on other members - if it exceeds a certain threshold, the moderators should step in. But when they step in, whether they step in, how quickly (or not) they step in - is not something that can be set in stone or have a metric applied, it's all a judgement call.

Its not a government run site - its private and subject to Rob's law. If Rob chooses to have moderators that some members feel are not doing a good job, then there is nothing those members can do. Ultimately if Rob runs an unfair site, people can leave to go elsewhere. I don't see the point of constantly calling the members out on perceived unfair moderator treatment. I personally don't see any unfair treatment, although I do see a few folks who are constantly pushing their buttons and running to hide behind the written rules saying "technically I didnt break the rule, you cant ban me!" or "technicall that guy broke the rules, you must ban him!".

It like of you catch your kids playing basketball in the house and they knock over and smash a vase. You tell them "no playing b-ball in the house!". Then an hour later they are kicking the b-ball around and when you yell at them, they respond "we were playing soccer USING a basketball, not playing basketball". They are trying to be smartasses but nobody is fooled. Same here - some users try to be smartasses but nobody is fooled. I'm not talking about Darth but Peter definitely does it and others too.

There are times when actions are taken I feel are unfair. I don't think that Russian_M3 guy should have been banned for making a comment about some pakistani nuts fornicating with goats... it was a joke but one moderator took offense and banned him. Such if life... does it really matter in the grand scheme of things?

There is no right to fair treatment, there should be no whining about it and pointing to the rules trying to establish where fair treatment wasn't given. And there should be no users purposely toeing the line to solicit bans/sanctions just so they can come back and complain that they were treated unfairly. That is no different than the aforementioned kid with the basketball, IMO.

Every users decision is simple - if they do not accept the treatment, they can let Rob know. If it does not change, they can choose to either live with it or move on to greener pastures. Anything else is IMO pointless and silly.

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Link to thread?

He's come a long way since DES Sickspeed, for sure....the melt down against pinetreeneedles was classic stuff, all gone now I believe.....

Sorry to hear of the damaged cars....most policies don't cover Track Use so that's most likely the gap in coverage....using Ferraris with out permission??????

OTOH, I have no idea WTF ya'll are even talking about so someone post a bunny with pancakes on it's head......

12. 2000YELLOW360

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Rob:

It was meant with the idea of improvement, not a game plan for any suit. I don't know if Dave M. sent you the PMs or a copy thereof that we've exchanged on this issue, but if you'd like, and he agrees, I'll send you same, and you can see where I'm coming from on this.

Art

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Sounds good.

14. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Is that a joke?

15. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Another possibility is that they had high deductibles, e.g. $1K, $2K or even $5K.

16. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    #16 BT, Dec 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You got it! (I think the other thread referred to was deleted)
    :D
    BT
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks...I'll take another nap, before quitting time.............zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

18. mrdigital

mrdigital Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Nashville
    Who sues someone over name calling on the internet?
    Some people need to get some social skills....

19. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Didn't, but it's ok by me Art.

Send 'em on over.

Dave

20. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I hope it is...but Rob refrenced it in another thread so I guess not. People take the internet waaayyyy too seriously..

21. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    A drunk-call from years ago at which you laughed and conversed in a jovial manner. I wasn't the only one on the phone and there were times before and after said call where you even encouraged such behavior. Now that we're no longer friends, you're playing this information from a different angle, to further your puppet's agenda. Whatever.

There is no question in my mind that, at one time, I felt like I was on the verge of alcoholism. I have since brought it under control. I still drink on occasion, but nearly as much as I used to. And when I do drink, I don't consume excessively as I used to. Not that any of that is any of your business, but it's out there now, for the sake of being thorough.

I never borrowed any money from anyone. Ever. You have your facts so twisted, it's comical. Go back to your puppet and see if you can't get them twisted a little more.

I never borrowed a Ferrari. Again, your facts are twisted. Steve was kind enough to give me the car for the weekend, at the behest of one of his long-time clients. I ****ed up and no amount of money in the world will rectify my damage. Steve will never, ever trust me, ever again. Ever. One day, I'll have the money to pay Steve back for the physical damage I've caused. But the other damage is irreparable.

Gerald's database wasn't copyrighted and I wasn't outed from the company. I resigned, much to their chagrin. And I don't have a copy of Gerald's database. Again, your facts are thoroughly skewed.

I "run through here" with a Consultant title that I earned. The situations in which I continue to earn that title in FerrariChat's various subforums are only a fraction of how I use it via private messages. You would know that if you ever asked a useful or insightful Ferrari-related question here, instead of spending all of your time fighting with other members.

Everything you've said was untrue. In fact, it wasn't just untrue, it was a gross and deliberate misinterpretation of facts to which you've obviously never been privy. It's time to cut the strings and stop being someone else's puppet.

I'd also like to mention - to Rob and anyone else who thinks they know the facts and wants to throw in their two cents - that I have no spoken to Art since he called me regarding an Enzo question over a month ago. I have every intention of calling Art; whether or not a lawsuit manifests remains to be seen. But if one does, it won't be for name-calling, that's for sure.

Art, I appreciate this eye-opening thread. Rob knows very well that no one was banned from the other thread. I used to love this forum and now I come back only on occasion, to check my PMs, futilely search for interesting, untainted threads, and participate in private discussions.

22. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Carbon, I don't know anything about the other issues. But why do you think a database of a company you worked for needs to be copyrighted? That is not my understanding. So, tread very carefully...... It is their property not to be used outside of their business even if it's just in your head or on paper and not on a disk.

23. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    I only mention copyright because it was previously mentioned in this thread, and in another one. But you're absolutely right, and I appreciate you pointing out the importance of that fact. It is for that reason that I have ceased offering help irrespective of the origin of the information.

24. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Copyrights are now automatic, IANAL, but you create it and the copyright is yours. Others more knowledgeable in this area...ask them; I'd not want to get into a pissing match trying to determine, say, who owns and maintains the Trabant Registry and what a former employee may or may not have done with that info post employment. With an absence of information beyond what can be read in some threads, a former employee may or may not have used such information once, and has since stopped using that information.

Internets melodrama can be great fun. No, they can be huge fun. Take a peek at Mr. Quixotic, for example, a person that is the source of an infinite amount of ridicule because he is off his rockers and has no hopes of having a sane thought for the rest of his life. Why Oh... (Why OH)...why poke fun at him? Because he keeps coming back for more, that's why. There's a lot of Tinfoil Hattery and Governmental Conspiracy in his tone and approach, not to mention loads of racism and general dispickery, but where is that with Carbon vs his detractors?

There isn't that, here.

There's lots of pointing fingers, allegations of such...tons of internets melodrama for sure, but the crux here and now is that internets drama may or may not spill out into real life wherein drama costs real dollars and can adversely effect real people in possibly not pleasant ways.

I'm a bystander in this, but I can see how these things can get ugly and stay ugly for a very long time.

Perhaps bury some hatchets and move on.

25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Why are you turning on me and FerrariChat.com? Wasn't it users that posted what they did? Is FerrariChat.com bad because of some things you have posted in the past and we forgave you on. Carbon, I had nothing against you until this comment. If this is really how you feel about FerrariChat.com and me you are nothing but a little **** after everything the community has done for you.