What is your favourite of this? MERCEDES, BMW, AUDI, LEXUS. In order :D | Page 3 | FerrariChat

What is your favourite of this? MERCEDES, BMW, AUDI, LEXUS. In order :D

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by edualonso, Oct 13, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    We probably have a different perception about cars here in Europe (I'm in UK). A recent survey here found that 60% of BMW, Mercedes or AUDI owners didn't use most of the gadgetry fitted on their cars. Or they didn't expected it in the first place, or they find it too complicated to use! Many people here only use occasionally aircon, sat-nav. Most drivers who have heated seats don't use them! Even the stereo systems baffle them; most people stick to one radio station and leave it at that!
    So, gadgetry is not the most attractive aspect in a luxury car. Still, people order it when they buy a new car, because it's a strong point a the time of resale! BMWs cost 20-25% above the basis price, because most of the stuff is on option.

Road behaviour is most important to us, because we have (compared to USA), bad, twisty and narrow rod, so handling, steering and braking is crucial. AUDI are safe, BMW sporty, Mercs, are just Mercs!

The performance factors were strong selling points in the past, but now people think in terms of economy and maintenance costs. Difference of 2 secs between vehicles on the 0-60 mph acceleration test, or top speed (145? 155 mph?), just make people smile and fuel pub conversations: who cares?

Then comes the kudos factor: your car makes a statement. Here Mercedes is the most credible brand, because of its prestige and century long history. BMW really took off from the 60s with the image of sporty cars, more sporty than Mercs. AUDI is the underdog, really an offspring of VW, with the image of efficiency and technology, but slightly weird.

Compared to that, Lexus doesn't come anywhere near these 3 German brands. They may be good cars, but in terms of class, tradition, sportiveness, inovation, class, etc... they are nowhere here.

If you offer an executive any of the 3 German brands as company car, he will be flattered. If you offer him a Lexus, he would think that you are having a joke; Lexus has a long way before catching up the prestige of the others. And their resale value confirms this too.

2. azheman

azheman Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    1. Audi
    2. BMW
    3. Mercedes
    4. Lexus

3. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Not in the states it doesn't. Here in the US Lexus resale is among the best and used values hold up far better than any of the three Germans.

4. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Audi an offshoot of VW?...I believe Audi, F/K/A Auto Union has been around much longer than VW...

5. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    1. BMW - Best hands down.
    2. MB - Also very good, but I prefer the style of BMW better.
    3. Audi - Good cars, but a step below 1 & 2.
    4. Lexus - Asian crap, no soul. Nice cars for people who aren't car people.

6. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
    Just my personal preference:

1. MB
    2. Lexus
    3. Audi
    4. BMW

7. Mike J

Mike J Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Ship Bottom, NJ
    Full Name:
    Michael
    1.) BMW - They look like crap, but still drive nicely. The rear end of the latest 5 series is especially homely.

2.) Mercedes - Decent looking, great drivetrains, reliability/build quality is a dealbreaker. The wife's SL55 has been a cacophony of squeaks and rattles throughout and numerous electronic gremlins.

3.) Audi - Boring exterior, quality interior, too lethargic and not enough torque to overlook the sloppy driving feel

4.) Lexus - Mediocre styling, mediocre driving experience, bullet proof. It puts me to sleep just typing about the car....Good Night.

8. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I explained in another post that the modern AUDI, has nothing to do with the pre-war AUDI.

The pre-war AUDI was with Horsch, Wanderer and DKW part of the Auto-Union group. That disappeared after the war, DKW just surviving for a few years, producing an horrible small 2-stroke car (that inspired the original SAAB, the Est German Trabant, etc...)

In the 60s, VW bought NSU, a bike and car manufacturer, that was marketing an unreliable rotary-engine sedan (years before Mazda). VW put one of its 4-cyl engine in it and marketed it as AUDI, resurrecting the name of the old firm.

Since, AUDI has built up a range, in a bracket superior to the VW range, but the models have a lot in common. AUDI is to VW, what Lexus is for Toyota.
    Of course VW has used the pre-war Auto-Union racing heritage for marketing purpose, but the cars have no lineage to speak of.

The 2 makes run in parellel: VW looks after SEAT (in Spain) and Skoda (in Chechs Rep.), while AUDI shadows Lamborgini and Bentley, all in the same group.

9. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    #59 Jimmy540i, Oct 20, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. Sheldon

Sheldon Formula 3

Apr 18, 2005
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Sheldon
    Mercedes: AMG Models are too hard to resist.
    BMW: Love their M series, but their recent cars aren't as easy on the eyes.
    AUDI: Love the S and RS series.
    Lexus

11. rush109

rush109 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Joshua McRae
    1.- BMW

2.- MERCEDES

3.- AUDI

4.- LEXUS