recommend a fun daily driver under $50k? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

recommend a fun daily driver under $50k?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by kephren, Sep 12, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrari4evr1

ferrari4evr1 Formula 3

May 8, 2005

Audi S4 baby!!!!!! All-wheel drive and tons of fun......:)

2. turbo6

turbo6 Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    If you need to drive in the snow and rain a lot I would get an STI or S4, or if you want something a little bigger maybe look at the new Lexus GS300 that's AWD.

If you don't need AWD I would look at the CTS-V, GTO (you can get them cheap) and Corvette (if you don't need 4 doors), M5 or an E55 if you want an auto, and maybe some used Porsches.

3. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Just get a BMW 3 series. You'll never regret it.

4. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    Profile says you live in Pittsburgh.

I live in this area as well and I recently bought a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution.

Well in your price range. I highly recommend it. There are also three dealers in the area to choose from.

Good luck.

5. enecks

enecks Karting

May 28, 2004
    NC
    Full Name:
    Justin
    If I may be so bold, I proffer my own 2003 Honda Civic Si hatchback. It's ridiculously fun to drive, has a manual transmission, gets around 27-30mpg, and costs well under $50k :p. Hell, I think the 05s (the last year) can probably be had for well under the $20k msrp these days. And it has the added bonus of looking like a mini-egg or a mini-mini-van : ).

6. scorpion

scorpion Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2004
    Kentucky
    For a daily driver who needs German, English or American problems or would want to live with a WRX's looks. Either a 350z or G35 Coupe hands down. Inexpensive, excellent performance, great looks, and while they aren't as bullet proof as older Nissans still WAY better than their problematic competition. I'd also include the new MX5 or S2000 as great daily drivers but only for those who could fit into them

7. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin

does the S60 come in a manual tranny? might be what my parents are looking for in a car.

but I definitly say m5, or an evo or an sti.

8. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

M3.

My 2004 gets about 19 mpg in spirited highway/city driving, about 50-50 on the split.

I use it everyday as my commuter. And put four snows on it and it ain't bad in a few inches of the white stuff, either.

DM

9. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    How bout a mustang cobra coupe. Fast gets good gas mileage and looks great.

10. f355b

f355b Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Little Silver,NJ
    i'll try here, but anybody have any feed back about the 300C SRT-8 under 50k reads well but havent spoke to anyone who owns one.....anybody have any info regarding the car? thanks

11. CornellCars

CornellCars Formula 3

Mar 24, 2005
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Auto tranny, but a nice one. Pulls very hard, decent handling and brakes, although I still don't think it's quite up to the task the M5 or CTS-V are - it's just a little more luxurious/soft than the other two. I don't know about finding one under $50k; it's been about a month since I looked, but when I did they were still bringing at or above sticker for the most part, which put them in the $52-$55k range - for that, I still thing either the bimmer or the caddy are better cars for less money AND you get a stick shift.

12. f355b

f355b Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Little Silver,NJ
    thank you, i can get for under 50k around the 46k level but iam not sure, i can get a 2002 M5 for same money but just wanted some thing different. looks nice but the M5 mybe the wa to go i'll have to test drive i guess.

13. CornellCars

CornellCars Formula 3

Mar 24, 2005
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I would definitely recommend test driving both - especially if you have one around 46k - it is a lot of car for that money, and will likely hold decent value for what it is. For me, it was just a personal taste issue, I like a bit more feedback, but both the SRT and the regular Hemi 300C's did impress me quite a bit - it is a good chassis, great autobox for what it is, and would probably make one of the best 'daily drivers' out there for someone who needed/preferred an autobox.

14. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    S60R or used M5. I love the XJR and all, but it takes a certain type of owner and then even more rare someone who wants to pile miles on it. I'd just look biased.

I'd personallty take the S60R new. Its more comfortable and it comes with a manual trans. In my book, that makes it better than the XJR for commuting, with a great chassis and still just as sporty if only a hair slower.

More maintenance covered under warranty and out of warranty, the costs are the same. So functionality goes to the Volvo, the styling of the Jag wins hands down.

I wish I had the cheddar to make the same decision!

Sunny

15. f355b

f355b Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Little Silver,NJ
    i would take the M5 over the SRT-8 but my wife my need to drive it at some point and she can not drive stick, so i was looking for something with some guts to it and looks, is there a great difference between the Hemi and the SRT-8 i know its over 10k just wonder if its worth the extra?

16. EndymionMKII

EndymionMKII Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2004
    Omaha
    Full Name:
    James
    Quoted for truth. My first car was a red 1986 Fiero GT. Very fun car, granted some thought it was a death trap, or belived some of the myths about it but, it was still a blast. Its too bad that the one that I had more or less fell apart because of miles (I know that there are Fieros that last longer). In fact I kind of miss having one every now and then.

17. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Yeah the S60 in all variants, 2.5t, t5, r they all have a manual option. T5 is the best of the bunch unless you do have some twisties near you. The R loses too much power through the gear box to make all 4 wheels go.

18. jharkercfduc

jharkercfduc Karting

Sep 4, 2004
    riverside california
    Full Name:
    jonathan harker
    one of my coworkers has a s60R and it feels pretty good. he did the european purchace and wouldn't drive anything else. he has a few aftermarket upgrades also, pretty quick car.