Daytona and 550 Maranello Values | FerrariChat

Daytona and 550 Maranello Values

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by Higgins23, Oct 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Higgins23

Higgins23 Karting

Jul 16, 2004
    Europe
    Looking at the market recently, I noticed that pricing on both the Daytona and early 550 Maranello's was very similar. Daytona pricing seems to be pretty flat but firm. Couple of questions, are early 550 now fully depreciated ? Which is the better long term investment (my guess is that it will be 5-10 years before 550's start to appreciate) ? What are annual estimated running costs for both ?

2. 365boy

365boy Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Brighton, England
    Full Name:
    John Leaman
    I doubt that 550s have finished falling yet. The latest ones are only three years old, and there are lots around (with 3,000+ built). Also, the 575M is getting cheaper, which will put more downward pressure on 550 prices. Daytona prices are as you say pretty flat at the moment, but unlikely to go down I should think. I would be pretty sure a Daytona would be a lot more to run / maintain than a 550, but factor in depreciation on the latter for another (say) two years, and it evens up a bit....

John

3. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    I own a 550 maranello as well as a daytona. I think daytona prices will appreciate in future years, much the same as 275 GTB prices have. By the same token, 550 prices will continue to decline due to supply/demand. I love driving a modern 12 cylinder Ferrari...it is reliable, comfortable and powerful. It doesnt cost that much to maintain since it is newer and requires less repairs. The daytona, though driven quite a bit less, always has something needing to be done to it. It is a great vintage car, but definitely not an everyday driver, regardless of how well it is maintained. It is older, hence more parts likely to fail, in my humble opinion.

Therefore, buy a Maranello for reliability, a daytona for value and limited use.

4. pauls

pauls Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2004
    I only own the Daytona. These two cars are very different. If you want a great vintage car choose the Daytona. It is not a daily driver but I don't see many 550's riding around. The 550 has still not hit bottom. The Daytona has. It can go no where but up and I believe it will. But the 550 is new and has all the new technology. So it boils down to what you want. A vintage car that has old technology and is bound to appreciate or a beautiful new Ferrari that will loose you money in the short term (how short?). To me I would choose the Daytona. It is an icon car and has proven itself over the years. The 550 has yet to pass the test of time. You can visit the forum at daytonaregistry.com to get more information. Speak with Lance Hill and Bill Badurski and they will give you their perspective. Paul