Should I do this????? 512TR+Skyline GTR+Boxster+a bit more cash = 360CS | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Should I do this????? 512TR+Skyline GTR+Boxster+a bit more cash = 360CS

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Pong, Sep 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Ricer's don't own Skyline's...they own Civics.

2. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    i wouldnt, your giving up alot of potential there for just one car even though the 360Cs is spectacular

the 512TR is something i would never sell, flat 12, sound, looks, feel it has everything and more

3. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Actually, It's not the latest version. I thought their were sh!tloads of them in Australia? Don't you know the R35 is out? In America it is called the Infiniti G35 Coupe. In Japan and Australia it is called the Nissan Skyline R35. And the R34 IS a true masterpeice of automotive engineering, their is only a few in the whole entire US. And you may see them sub-frequently their in Australia, but they sure as hell arn't a dime a dozen.

4. nwocorp

nwocorp Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    australia
    the g35 and gtr are differnt cars i think the gtr35 is set for 2008 at the moment. There are alot of skylines here but most are gts gts-t and gt-t, dont get me wrong they are awsome cars (particulary gtr v-spec) in the US they are rare because they are only made in right hand drive and for the jdm. Unless it has changed japan has laws that make owning older cars very expensive so in the next few years alot of these cars will be sold overseas, with americas new love of the skyline id image alot will go their

5. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Americans' love of the Nissan Skyline is not new. We have been begging companies like Nissan to give us an American-market Skyline. Many have also been pleading with Honda to give us the Type-R's they only sell in Japan, Australia and Europe. It will never happen, they hate Americans!

6. nwocorp

nwocorp Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    australia
    Well your pleas have probably been answered last i heard the new skyline will most likely be a v8 (rather than turbo 6) as well as american styling as they intend to sell them over there.

I cant speak for europe but while nissan did sell an occasional model of the skyline/silvia/300z etc here the majority are grey imports. We also only just got the new evo (most prev models where also grey imports). Plus you dont have to pay $400 000 for a new 360 or $580 000 for a new 575 :) Trust me the aussie car market is **** (though obviously not as bad as Thailand)

7. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Well said - it's definitely a big trade-off, but it's worth it if you believe so. That's what counts.

8. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Agree.
    I see so damn many skylines on my way to work, they clutter the damn road!
    GTR's are over-rated anyways, well anything newer than an R34. You should sell the heavy arse R34 and buy the real "Godzilla", the R32!!!!
    IMO a Supra Rz is a better car. Or even a Series VIII Rx-7. Id rather the Rx-7 than the R34. And yes, i have driven all these cars, so i know what they handle and go like. I nearly bought an R34 but it ran like a pig. I dont have much respect for skylines anymore....

9. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    WHAT?!?!?! Where'd you get those numbers?
    And why are you including calipers with the other wear items?

10. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    You haven't said how you intend to USE the cars.
    Do you go to tracks? High-speed drives on twisty roads?
    Go to car shows? Assembling a collection?
    Do you like to drive different cars for different situations?

For example, I like to drive to far off track + car show events. Only one car can come... and it will always be the one I've got setup for the track. While its kind of fun to drive different cars, I typically get really attached to my favorite car, and that's all I want to drive. I like to drive my track car on the street... so, it needs to handle both tasks. And I love to drive my sportscar to the mountains, for scenic driving fun. Given all that, the CS cannot be touched by any combination of those other cars. HOWEVER, that's just me.

How will YOU want to use the car(s)?

OTOH, I don't think I could ever bring myself to pay 300% tax on a CS... that is ludicrous... I think my Ferrari obsession might be successfully quenched if I had that barrier! I'd buy one cheap classic and hold it forever. With that in mind, I'd probably second the suggestion: stick with your current cars for now... and buy the CS in about a decade when its price has dropped.

11. htran

htran Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2004
    Tracy(NoCa)/HB(SoCa)
    Full Name:
    P Quach
    I 2nd to this motion, or wait until next 1-2 years when the F430 coming out, CS price will dropped.

12. Pong

Pong Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    Pong
    #62 Pong, Sep 23, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Brain C.S....I intend to use the car on every occasion. Well, it's not my daily driver, but it will be a weekend car, a track day car, and it will take occasional trip to Bangkok. High speed drive is not my favorite things as it's quite dangerous here in Thailand. I have some local roads that I enjoy on Sunday morning. I and my friends also rent the track at least twice a year.

The CS seems to be a good all rounder for what I need. But I hear you all about its value in the future. Buying it in the future does make a lot of sense. It's just that with only 6 cars here, it will be difficult to find one in the future.

I have not driven the CS yet, and I don't think the dealer will let me test it (have not asked, probably should).

It's still a very tough call, my heart keeps saying "geeetttt itttt", but my head is digging more and more reasons not to.

Regarding the Skylien GTR, the R34 will be the last true Skyline GTR. The new one (expecting to see it by '07) will be badged as Nissan GTR. The Skyline will go its own way while the GTR (probably still base on the G35 Skyline) will be a separate model. Many of the GTR's DNA will be gone (the in-line 6 cylinders engine is the major DNA that will not make it), so R34 to me is the true last GTR. But, hey....this is F-chat...we'd better stop talking about GTR.. :)

Here is the picture of my GTR a few years ago at the gymkhana race in Bangkok
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Mon

Mon Karting

Feb 15, 2004
    k.Pong
    Don't do it.

14. Ferrari Mackintosh

Ferrari Mackintosh Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2004
    N/A
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Enthiusiast
    Pong,

Swap a Ferrari 512TR for a 360CS? You should see my shrink

15. bob348

bob348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Liege, Belgium
    Full Name:
    Geoffrey
    Keep the TR...flat 12 PPPOOOOOOWWWEEEERRRRRR

16. nwocorp

nwocorp Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    australia
    :) as they say skylines are the new commodore. I havnt tried a series 8 how to they drive? the supra is fast and fun but feels heavy. Have you tried an rx8 or 350z? they are meant to go pretty well but neither really interest me

17. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    So, now, when you go to Bangkok, do you take the TR?
    I assume the track day, autocross/gymkana stuff gets the Skyline?
    Which car do you choose for the weekends?
    What's your daily driver?

(Not trying to be nosy... just trying to give an informed answer to your query.)

18. pwongd

pwongd Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    pwongd
    Brian, his daily driver is a Subaru WRX. His Gymkana is an MX5. His track car and occasional blast is GTR. His weekender is now mostly the 512TR.

I have to admit here that my offering to put in the Boxster gave him the serious thought of the possibility. In fact, I love the CS also and probably want it more than he does. Only problem is that I am not ready to part with the G yet. However, I think his head will win out this time around. I went into the garage just this evening and had a long hard look at his 512TR. It looks very beautiful still. With a Tubi, it will be awesome.

Big thanks to you all for the great input, thought, coming, and suggestions. You guys are great.

19. Gatarz

Gatarz Rookie

Sep 11, 2004
    Please pardon my ignorance, but what are the performance specs of the Skyline? I bought a new 300 hp 300ZX Twin Turbo in 1995 and that thing was quite quick if I remember correctly. I think it turned out 5.5 sec 0-60 times or there abouts. And it handled well too for a GT car. Was the Skyline derived from the Z platform, or is it a totally seperate car, and how does it compare to the 300ZX of that era, and to modern performance cars?

20. Pong

Pong Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    Pong
    Well, pwongd answered your question, Brian.

I still own Evolution VI that I used to run in gymkhana but plan to sell it soon.

When I go to Bangkok, if the destination does not involve (too) heavy traffic, I will try to take the TR. It handles the traffic very well, cool AC, never heat up, and visibility is quite good. The TR's size doesn't bother me, it's very similar to the GTR's.

The 360 CS is probably a great car, and I still want it badly. But I think I should take a bit more time to consider the option...ha ha ha.

Thank you all for every comment. It has been a great help.

If something comes up and my brain is acting funny again, I will let you all know... :)

21. Pong

Pong Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    Pong
    "Please pardon my ignorance, but what are the performance specs of the Skyline? I bought a new 300 hp 300ZX Twin Turbo in 1995 and that thing was quite quick if I remember correctly. I think it turned out 5.5 sec 0-60 times or there abouts. And it handled well too for a GT car. Was the Skyline derived from the Z platform, or is it a totally seperate car, and how does it compare to the 300ZX of that era, and to modern performance cars?"

Gatarz, if you want to compare the GTR with the 300ZX, then you should be comparing R32 GTR with the Z32. Many of the suspension parts are the same, the tranmission has the same ratio (only that GTR is 4WD). The chassis is very similar. But Z32 can't match R32 for its pure performance...the RB26DETT engine is the key.

But if you are talking R34 GTR, then it's in a very much different level from the Z32, just because the R34 is developped close to 10 year later. It's packed with techno bits, but it doesn't make you feel detached from the car (except from the dead steering...ha ha, to be expected from 4wd, I guess).

My particular R34 GTR has around 371.4 hp at the wheel after light modification (stock figure is 288 hp...a bit more than factory's figure at 280). I never did performance figure on the car, but it ran 1/4 at 12.8 sec (it was my 1st ever run at 1/4, if I have more practice, 12.6 is possible, I think). The car top out at around 275 km/h, but I suspect that the speedometer is quite optimistic. I think its top end is closer to 260 km/h. The handling is superb....on the road at high speed, it's extremly stable (more so than the 360).

On the curcuit, understeer set in quite easily if you push too hard into corner. You must drive it like a powerful rear wheel drive. Slow in and fast out is what it love. The tail will kick out a bit and the 4wd system will kick in...then you will have a good and controlable power slide on all 4 wheels...very nice.

GTR is fast, fun, and to be respected....but it ain't Ferrari and it doesn't pretend to be one. I treat it quite differently from the TR...ha ha. They really can't be compared. The goal and the way the engineer built each car to achieve that goal is different.

I love them both, though.....

I was thinking that the 360CS would combine both R34 GTR and TR into one machine....fast, fun, fantastic looking, with the added bonus of being newer and probably quicker than both... but there are other things to consider, and I think I should wait a bit longer.... ;)

22. Ferrari Mackintosh

Ferrari Mackintosh Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2004
    N/A
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Enthiusiast
    Pong,
    if that is what ur after, save ur money on a new car and do a bit of custom work to the 512TR. Try the following - SPORTS EXHAUST, ECU REMAP FROM KOENIG, BMC COMPOSITE AIRBOXES (with custom hose), DECAT THE SPORTS EXHAUST. Then you'll be looking at a dragster of a TR, it'll be capable of 205MPH (possibly more) 0-60 in 4 secs. Or if ur really serious slap a couple of turbo chargers and then we'll be talking of 230MPH, 0-60 in 3.4, which will anhililate nearly every Ferrari on this earth. What more could u possibly want. Anyway it's more than fast enough as stock.

23. rt215

rt215 Rookie

Apr 6, 2004
    San Francisco/Piedmo
    Full Name:
    Steve Tse
    Pong, I love my 512tr and will never get rid of it... I just moved it to Tokyo from Hong Kong and it is really where she really sings... I think what you are going through is Asian-itis, which is that only new cars turns heads more than the old ones... If you can get over it and realize that you have a real ferrari (the last great mid engine, 12cyl Ferrari) and not something that a guy drives to starbucks you'll make a decsion you'll never regret!! The 512tr is only going to collectors and you might not be able to buy one again! In Tokyo vs HK, they LOVE the 512tr,in fact its still in all the magazines... Let me know if you want some articles sent over! They have the best garage magazines here (yes magazines dedicated to cool home garages, they're nuts)

24. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    Here in Thailand. The appreciation toward classic cars to much less than that in the west. Many see classic cars as old cars. So you're better off driving a brand new BMW than a old Ferrari. To me, technology comes and go but style is art and that last forever.
    please post the articles and see what their garage looks like...

25. Pong

Pong Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    Pong

I try to buy every issue of "Garage Life" I can find, rt125. We will build new garage, so I need see all those nice garages.. :)

I understand the value of the 512TR. But to me, they are just cars, classic or new. I want to enjoy them, not keeping them for value. That's why the 360CS's performance appeal to me a lot at first.

360CS and 512TR can't be more different. One is light, responsive, and thunderingly quick. Another is smooth, fast, and heavy GT. In the perfect world, I should have one of each, but I guess I have to consider all angles of things here.

What K.patpong said is also correct. There are very few who appreciate classic for what it is in Thailand. For me, the 512TR is not a classic. It's a good GT with a very charismatic engine (308, 328, 512BBi are classics, but not the Testarossa). It's fun to take it out on the open road (got the newly paved nearly-empty 4 lanes highway just 20 minutes from my house..he he), but it also doens't suit my need for track day well. Still, I love the TR for what it is. And I guess I will be keeping it a while longer. ;)