Weekend at Willow Springs | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Weekend at Willow Springs

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by plugzit, Nov 4, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. StickChic

StickChic Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2006
    So Cal
    Yes.

2. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    I think the X1/9 is still gonna happen ( the current owner wants to run one last race @ Infineon sept 20-21 ) I'm in Hawaii until then also, so I'll probably take posession late sept. Maybe run it at Saxton/FCA rather than the 308, although the 308 is just a blast on the big track with the Hoosiers and supercharger. Once I get the X, I'll be looking for a group to race with (we can talk then), I'm looking forward to AROSC streets of willow TT school in the little racecar.

I'm going to buy it with the fresh 1.3 litre, he wants too much money for the 1500 which needs machine work. I see that car as a proven race ready chassis, and a great car to hone my skills in as it is. And then, a race motor project waiting to happen, I can get behind that.

3. KraigG

KraigG Formula 3

May 25, 2006
    Willow Springs
    Full Name:
    Kraig
    #128 KraigG, Sep 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Sure would love to come to the next event. Which would be better? The Z3, with no roll bar, or the 928? Would I need to do any mods?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    Kraig,

You need a "factory loop" or a roll bar for the Zed spyder, I think. The 928 would be way more fun in 8-9 and the front and back straights on the big track anyway, IMHO. You need a solid cockpit mounted fire extinguisher, seat belts (factory OK) and a snell 2005 helmet, long sleeved cotton shirt (or track suit). Come out, man !!

5. KraigG

KraigG Formula 3

May 25, 2006
    Willow Springs
    Full Name:
    Kraig
    Got it all save for the extinguisher. Would bottled water suffice? :)

I'll bring the 928, then. When and what time?

I don't want to get tangled with any 348s or 355s, though....

6. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Some hi-temp brake fluid (Motul/Castrol SRF) might be worth having if you don't already.

7. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    The Z4 is so much more capable car. I'd sell the fishbowl. It is old tech..like really old tech GT...it lumbers on the road like a 456gt....but as some of you know I have spent my worse days either owing a 928 or getting hit by those road hogs so I am a bit biased. Shoot if you come to my house I'll help you bend a rollover hoop for the Z if you can't just go out and buy a bolt in one. You will have so much more fun in the bimmer.

8. KraigG

KraigG Formula 3

May 25, 2006
    Willow Springs
    Full Name:
    Kraig
    Even though I paid very little for the Z3, I paid even LESS for the 928. As Hagerty doesn't cover my cars while racing, I'd have to use a car that was "expendable", so the 928 will be a sacrificial race car. 928s are a dime a dozen and easy to replace. It will be a good car to train in, doncha think?

9. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    AROSC.org will be doing timetrial and race at big willow 10/11/08 and 10/12/08. The weather should be cool and that makes big horsepower. Sean? Lou? I'll be there dressed in a tight-fitting blue Z06 in "race trim" this time.

10. PenP

PenP Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 20, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Pen Pendleton
    Hey guys, HSR-West is doing their Fall Formula Festival this weekend at Willow. They get some pretty cool open wheel cars for this race - F-1, F-5000 cars. Could never understand why one of these races was never part of an FCA or FOC Sunday drive. Gotta support the guys who are actually driving these cars in anger, not just parking them on a lawn once a year.

Speaking of lawns, I kinda wanted to take the Dallara to the Woodley Park French/Italian car show, but it's the same weekend as Saxon's thing.

I'll be racing the formula ford, the Italian job is still not ready believe it or not. I was thinking about trying to get her running at Jim Saxon's event and run the VARA race at Willow the weekend after –*any idea if he's sold out yet?

Lou - what happened to the X1/9 plan?

11. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Not sure..probably not because all clubs are having trouble getting subscribership. Sice we got a 700B bailout today maybe more people will come out to play.

12. numisrx

numisrx Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 4, 2007
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    I'm thinking of doing Nov. 1 & 2 in my 360.
    Been looking at helmets, shoes, gloves, and mentally noting what I need to do to the car.
    Kind of nervous taking her out and throwing her around the track, but it's not much different and a lot safer than what we do in the canyons.

any advice?

13. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Yes. pay now to get your spot and don't wait to buy your helmet. You may need to try several from different places to get the fit you like. In my area there is Simpson in Harbor City, The Racer's Shop in Redondo Beach, Sube Sports in Huntington Beach, Sparco in Irvine. Most non-trackers are worried about rock chips and use blue painter's tape all over the car. Well it works OK but you can buy thicker shelfpaper or clear plastic drawer liner at the hardware store which is much thicker and you can tape that down to the car in vital places to keep the rocks at bay. As a newbie you will be traveling not a huge amount more than freeway speeds. And the canyons are much more dangerous to you and the car.

14. numisrx

numisrx Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 4, 2007
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    I'm in Pasadena, do you or anyone know someplace out this way I can shop for Helmets?

15. PenP

PenP Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 20, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Pen Pendleton
    Werks 2 is a great race supply shop that's off the Burbank exit off the 5 freeway, pretty close to you. They have decent prices, but they tend to be close to MSRP. If you buy a couple things, you can negotiate a bit. Very nice people. And they have everything: fire suits, helmets, harnesses, fire extingishers, and all of the pit support stuff anyone could dream of. And famous Corvette tuner Dick Guildstrand's shop is next door, so you can drop by and say hi to a real life automotive legend.

The best prices for all this stuff are via the internet, though.

Hey - I just remembered (not kidding), I have a new, unused Bell open-face helmet, size large. I bought it when I was going to do the La Carrera Panamerica in the '76 308 a couple years ago. The open face helmet is the standard rally helmet to facilitate talking to your navigator. A fair amount of the instructors at this Willow event use open face helmets, I assume also because it allows them to better speak to the drivers. And in a closed car, an open-face helmet is a totally fine and safe choice. I never used it because the size was too big for me (and I had to bow out of the rally only a couple days before the car was getting picked up by the transporter, but that's a whole other story). I did this Willow event once in a 308 and once in a Europa and an open-faced helmet would have been nice because in my closed-face helmet, those cars got pretty claustrophobic! (note: this is an example how ordering over the internet can be a trap - know your sizes and also know that a large Bell fits differently than a large Arai.)

Here's Werks 2's website: http://www.werks2.com

And if you're interested in my helmet, drop me a line.

I'd also consider selling my race suit - a good one, an OMP just like Mikey Schumacher wore - because it's too big for me. Even has a Ferrari patch!

16. PenP

PenP Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 20, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Pen Pendleton
    So who's going?

17. numisrx

numisrx Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 4, 2007
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    Thanks for the tip. I went to Werks 2, and am set up. I've sent in my registration and am anxiously awaiting my first track days Nov 1 & 2.

18. realride

realride Karting

Oct 17, 2005
    la crescenat CA
    Full Name:
    benoit pecqueur
    There is a NASA event this weekend at Buttonwillow. But maybe NASA is too much for most of you guys ! LOL
    Benny

19. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I'll be at WSIR on 10/11/08 weekend with AROSC.org and they still have spaces but the event is for sure going to run unlike some others.

Then I'll be at WSIR on 11/1/08 weekend with Westcoast and I'm pretty sure they still have spaces.

20. PenP

PenP Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 20, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Pen Pendleton
    #145 PenP, Oct 20, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
    Hey Guys - just so I can best nail down which group to go into, yellow, blue, red.

I have a mechainic coming on Saturday and I'm thinking we can get this thing running! I'm testing the Dallara, so I may be off and on the track a lot to revise set-up.

But what are the lap times of the groups approx? yellow/blue/red?

The Dallara as you know is a vintage race car, and last month at Willow, I was doing 1:39's in my vintage Formula Ford. So I have no clue where that puts me in the universe of these race groups. And no clue what the lap time capabilities the Dallara will have - probably pretty close to the FF.

Hey Lou - do you need some brake shoes?!

21. PenP

PenP Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 20, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Pen Pendleton
    Wayne: Glad to see that Werks hooked you up - nice little shop. See you at next weekend.

Lou, FBB: you guys going to be there?

Any other Ferraris going to be out there? Is this still an FCA-connected event? I let my membership lapse last year at some point and have just been out of the FCA loop for a while, so no FCA emails for me!

22. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    #147 RVIDRCI, Oct 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Lou is not doing FCA/Saxton event this year, it conflicts with an annual Haloween party I throw weekend wise this year. (whaddya mean "brake shoes"? you mean HP disc pads ? I'm running Porterfields R4-S on the 308, but they are at about 60% currently.

Yellow group seems to run in the 1:40s ( I both pass and get passed running mid/upper 1:40s in yellow) I would think blue group if you want to be "safe & comfy" for test and tune, or red (race) group if you want to dance in the turns.

A couple pics from last time out @ Willow with SpeedtrialUSA, and a outboard video link (sorry about the wind noise) just to keep the track jones going.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcJ-TkIKyhU

Have fun next weekend guys.

23. PenP

PenP Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 20, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Pen Pendleton
    Brake shoes.... yikes. they're Performance Friction carbon metallic pads. Part # 0045.97.15.44 "Race Ready" They're from my 308, they're race spec. MSRP $151.00, don't know what typical price is. 1 box, 4 pads. I also have a 308 radiator, so if you want a spare....

Really bummed you won't be there since it's the first time I've been there in a couple years. Hopefully the Fat One will be there.

How many vintage cars are out there these days? Seems like it used to be pretty weighted to the older cars.

24. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Yes Pen I'll be there in a 550 or most likely blue Z06 racecar staying at holiday inn express. How can we see the F1 race sunday AM about 8 o'clock? Any ideas? We need to see this final race. I'll be in red and it is an easy group because you don't have to think about where you are legal to pass and it keeps the itchy people off you during testing. I am sure we can recruite someone to help do tire pressures in the hot pit. I'll pit behind the snack bar and closer to the fuel pumps next to a dark green mustang and or white mustang and or brown pantera