Weekend at Willow Springs | FerrariChat

Weekend at Willow Springs

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by plugzit, Nov 4, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    #1 plugzit, Nov 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just a couple of pictures and a short report from Willow Springs this weekend. For the benefit of any insurance agents, lawyers, or law enforcement officers who may be looking at this, keep in mind that this never actually happened and that all photographs posted in this thread purported to be the people mentioned are actually photoshopped replicas, and that any statements made by this poster or others who may claim to have been there are out-and-out lies!
    It was a good turnout for the Pantera and FCA clubs this weekend at Willow Springs, the fastest road in the west. A few 430s, a 360CS, a coupla 355s, and then 4 known Fchat whores showed up: LouGaudio with his supercharged Euro 308; Obese William Robert, known to his acquaintances as Fat BillyBob, with his track 348, Plugzit with the new-to-him 348 Challenge, and CMJames with his pristine 348. Driver's meeting at 8, first lying session at 9. Management decided that the Fchat ho's should be separated into different groups to spread the potential carnage among other brands that were there. Apparently word had reached management of the nationally televised news of FBB and Plugzit's grudge race for the championship of western civilization-and they weren't pleased to be cut out of the royalty income. Anyway, time trials resulted in significant amounts of rubber deposited on the roadway, lots of noise, and faster lap times throughout the day.
    Lou's car performed impeccably, probably due to his new flame job, which I trust him to post a picture of for the purists in the group. Extra concours points to be awarded. My car was faster than I was, and the track was faster than the car. Cojone implants have been recommended by the Miata club. Jeeezusss, that's a fast track! LOTS of 4th gear with revs while turning! FBB's car responded well to changes in tire pressure, he got faster throughout the weekend in spite of carrying an extra 100lbs. after Saturday night's Italian dinner. As promised, I won't post pics of his newly enlarged double-wide driver's seat and truss frame supports, but I will say that I learned a new use for titanium. CMJames' car sat there and looked fast, representing the forming Nero Allenza, but he did take a fast ride with Lou and came back mumbling something about getting another set of wheels and tires and a bra.
    All-in-all a great weekend and fun hanging with some new friends, Ed with the NSX (and a 360 in the garage), and a few others who gave me fake names and were driving stolen cars. Seeyatherenexttime.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tougebear

tougebear Rookie

Jul 18, 2007
    Your wise commentary makes me want to go on the next outing.

When is the next outing anyways?

Either way, I will be there at the end of the month.

3. s4dustin

s4dustin F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    Looks like a great time...glad you guys had fun...love the spoiler

4. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Looks fun Plugz!..........but let's get to it , who kicked who's butt between you and Fatbilly? Lap times, etc. C'mon "When the green flag drops the B.S, stops.
    Sounds great, glad all you guys had a fast, fun & safe time.

5. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    #5 RVIDRCI, Nov 5, 2007
    OH Yeah! We had some fun! Dropped at least 15 seconds off my previous trackday lap times with the supercharger and the new suspension work, moved up to yellow run group on day 2. The Ol' 308 is a fricken rocket on the track now (ask CMJames about that ride along). So, I thought it needed a little "blue flame" track tape dressing. Pic per Plugz request.

6. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    I'll bet Enzo is smiling!

7. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Kinda like in second grade, the teacher decided to separate us to prevent chaos. No lap times available. Next time!!!!

8. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    #8 RVIDRCI, Nov 5, 2007
    BTW, theres a whole list of war stories from on and off the track, what a weekend !!! I'll leave it up to "others" to tell tales, or ask me when you see me.......

Plugzit, FatBillyBob, CMJames, Ed,...good times, boys, can't wait till the next one. I NEED TRACK TIRES !!!!

Neat pic below of the QV "throttle steering" through the top of turn 4 (instructor Marshall Buck on board) Amazing what a difference an extra 125hp and some good suspension mods will do !!

I've got on board video to follow shortly (no Jimi Hendrix soundtrack, I promise) :)

9. StickChic

StickChic Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2006
    So Cal
    It was good to see you guys, I would have been there sooner but I was driving from Nevada (SEMA Vegas and Pahrump)
    a la GPS.

10. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    I have some day 2 yellow run group on board video from the Willow weekend up on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HzHvqOrneQ

Whaddaya think, the QV moves pretty good now, eh ? ('sep for those pesky 4-500 horsepower AC Cobras and Z-06's).
    Hey, Ed, is that you in the black NSX kicking my a$$ ??

I definatley see some R compound tires in my not too distant future.

11. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    OK, ok,

I lied (sue me, I was excited) after reveiwing video/times... I only cut maybe 10-12 seconds off ......best case.

-still pretty effen quick in comparison, no?

-L

12. Cannoli

Cannoli Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Norman
    Nice Vid ... smooth driving too!

13. cmjames63

cmjames63 Karting

May 9, 2006
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    CMJ
    The video doesnt do it justice! Lou does one hell of a job getting that car around the track! I was in awe! (I gotta get some race tires and wheels.......... mumble......mumble........)

Thanks again for the ride Lou!

CMJ

14. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    Thanks for the good word...

and, your welcome, shotgun's available anytime.

(PS: quit mumbling, get some blue tape, and come on out !!! Actually, your nero 348 is one JEWEL of a car, maybe LOTS-O-TAPE !)

15. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Hey luigi,

Bring your tape nextime we are at the track I'll show you at least 5+ seconds with almost no change in what you are doing...more if you let me drive your car...well maybe that's not a good idea...for you!

16. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    You mean the blue flame tape ?? !! 5 seconds + with just tape and scissors ?? !!(JK)

I assume you mean the video tape, and yeah, your input on my line and technique is certainly welcome! Might even let you drive it if you promise not to spin it and get my flame job all dusty !! What does not show on that video is that in a couple areas on the track, I am driving to the limit of my tires, and in another couple areas I am driving to the limit of my "cojones". Both tire and "cojone" upgrades are in order, I think !!!

17. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Blue tape just adds weight! I do mean the video and you have not optimized your tire use yet guaranteed. I know this because you have never put a pyrometer to them after a hot lap and those readings change as you optimize grip. So you kinda chase the optimum point as you run, as you get more comforatble on the track, and as you learn the track.

18. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    #18 RVIDRCI, Nov 8, 2007
    I did have a infrared thermometer with me at Willow. Of course I'm no expert on tire grip optimization, but heres what I found.
    Tire temps in the center third were a little higher than the average of the inner and outer third on all 4 tires, so I can probably drop the pressure down a pound or 2. Left tires were 145 deg + on the outer third & 130+/- inner and of course the pressures on those were 2-3 psi higher than the righthand tires. The "tread" on the outside 1/3 of both lefthand tires is scalloped and melted, even with the additional negative camber lowering the car threw in. Long story short, I just think the street sp5000's have a little too much open tread area and are a little too hard to expect much more out of them on the track. You can school me in the finer points of tire grip optimization over a plate of manicotti at Barone's in Dec.

19. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I would take 3 lbs out to start. You may find it faster then the tires would heat up more again and you may take even more out! IR is ok but does not do carcass temp. You need probe pyrometer. You should be pretty even inner and outer then lower on the outside due to basic cooling unless you get hotpit temps then they should be even. If this data is correct I think you still have more to go with these tires and you will be surprised at how much better it will feel. I'll make my prediction closer to 10 seconds more speed to be had! Cost = zero!

20. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    Okee dokee,

I'll leave em on for the Alfa TT, drop the pressure, and we shall see.

I still need those "cajone" upgrades though. I'll have to check with Plugzit to see if the Miata guys have sourced him on that. ;-)

21. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hey Lou,

Keep getting faster and you'll be getting a phone call from Risi:)

You and your 308 are looking "smokin!".

Cheers, Hank (court found in my favor)

22. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    We'll run temps in the hotpits next outing and you will see the changes.

23. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    The thread in technical titled "Beware Kinesis Wheels" will tell the story for me.

24. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
  25. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    I'm there, FatBilly. I registered on the Alfa site, but saw no hook up for the Jan event sign up, so far. Keep me in the loop please. I'm gonna get a new 4wheel alignment @ Glenn's and max the negative camber.

Bruce has 3 unsafe wheels and one busted one, so whats up with THAT !!!