Surge on rear bank 83 308qv | FerrariChat

Surge on rear bank 83 308qv

Discussion in '308/328' started by dwhite, Oct 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Recently developed a surge in the rear bank. Engine runs smoothly then a miss. If I disconnect the coil wire its obvious it's isolated to the one bank.

So, I swaped coils, ignition boxes, tested the crank sensors, pulled and non professionally cleaned the injectors (carb cleaner forced through with compressed air, they all were singing.

All the wires, plugs extenders, rotors and caps are new (even went back to original caps and rotors to see if there was an issue) no change. Have triple checked the vacuum lines.

Pulled the 1-4 crank sensor and it was filthy, figured as it is such a pain to change I would put a new one in so I don't ever have to do it again, no change.

I'm now back to believing its fuel vs ignition. It's only one back so it could be fuel distributor has a bit of dirt in one of the 8 sectors or I need for the injectors to be tested.

Tomorrow I'm going to check compression just to make sure no sticking valves.
    I'm sure it's something stupid, just can't get it yet. Any thoughts, ideas or tests would be appreciated.

2. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    A timing light should tell you if it's ignition or fuel

3. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Yeah, I have spark at the wires and extenders. It intermittent, so thought it might be part of the brain or upstream of the coils, but nothing is pointing that way.

4. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I've only had mine for a year but it would seem unlikely to get intermittent miss on one bank due to fuel since it's constant flow. I recently put on new distributor caps that I got from Superformance and at least three of the lead wells were not bored deep enough to allow the needle to make good contact with the lead, I had to drill them deeper. Also since the extenders are notorious maybe you could swap them front to rear and see if the problem follows, maybe even swap the plugs too.

5. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Yeah thanks, but I think I have mentioned twice now that I have spark at the plugs. Starting to focus on fuel pressure, injectors and compression.

6. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    What kind of wires did you use?

7. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    Misfires are almost always ignition related.... so you swapped coils and boxes and the surging stayed in the rear bank?

Fuel pressure is controlled by the WUR and it is possible that it needs attention or rebuilding. Are you running rich? If you are I would change all the injectors, the originals are toast no matter how much you clean them. Make sure the cold start injector is shutting off after starting.

8. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Wires are cavis 400 classic. Spoke with Larry Fletcher today regarding some questions on the FD and some other info I had for him. Great guy and we swapped a few stories. Hoping FD is not going out to him and from our discussion, it's probably not as I'm getting good fuel flow at the injectors.

Checked compression, which came to 180 at all 4 cyls cold. Checked vacuum at the plenum seamed fine.

Tomorrow I'm changing the rpm CPS as I have a new one and it's part of the 1-4 bank wiring. Larry said he had one which was problematic, but tested fine.

Then will be pulling all injectors to have them cleaned and checked out can't hurt and will replace the rubber gromets. Did this with my boxer when I had it apart last year - sent out to washington.

I will get it resolved but it is throwing everything at me and a couple of buddies who have restored, built and repaired more cars than they care to remember. Plus it's the beauty of working on a Ferrari .. . . .muttering the recurring phrase of "how the hell do they expect you to get your fingers in there".

9. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I did speak with Larry about WUR he said nothing would just effect one bank outside of the FD (ie: clogged port effecting 1 cyl) and or an injector.

10. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Maybe I'm not really understanding what the symptom is as you call it a "surge" but if it were an intermittent misfire I would first determine, with a timing light, that each cylinder is getting uninterrupted spark at the time the misfire occurs. You just need to watch for breaks in the strobe pattern when it happens. Each one being observed individually and observed while the misfire occurs. Unless "surge" means something else or some other sort of symptom.

11. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    I don't know if what you describe as a surge is the same thing I describe as a sputter on my car. Mine warms ups fine and pulls perfectly until about 5 minutes after full warm up and then starts to make a sputtering or the sound an outboard motor makes when it's trimmed to high and the prop comes out of the water. A wha wha wha sound. Only happens on warm days but happens almost at the exact same time after fully warming up. Like you I've chased all kinds of electric possibilities and even replaced injectors but it still does it. On a cool day, say 65 degrees or less I can't make it happen.

12. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    Replacing injectors with the new brass versions is better than keeping the original steel corroded ones no matter how you think they spray. They were meant to be changed with every major service and are a wear and tear part. The FD rebuild would be my last resort.

13. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    First time I have heard that in 32 years. No dealer service tech or indy ever even suggested replacing injectors to me. Certainly not listed as a serviceable item in the maintenance schedule.

14. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Is it the entire motor or just one bank. If you pull a coil wire does the engine sound different front and rear?

I put in a new CPS in the 3 o'clock position, nada.so I have new at 10 & 3. 7 is for the front bank, so I will change it when it back to correct operation just so they are all new.

My injectors look fine no rust or corrosion on any. But I'm going to have them cleaned and checked and put in new seals. On that topic, do people put the new seal on the injector and then screw the cap down with the injector or screw the seal in the cap and then push the injector down. It's a QV so no circlips.

Yeah, last thing I will be doing is having the FD rebuilt. The fun continues.

climb likes this.
  15. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    I don't really know. I've switched the coil wires and switched the digiplex leads and added a ground to them. My latest theory is vapor lock even though its fuel injected. Heat maybe vaporizing fuel and since it doesn't happen on cool days was thinking maybe this. Digital thermometer shows 550-600 degrees even when I aim it at the orange glow seen through where the air injector holes have left a view to the header.

16. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    I used the green screw in injector seal. Think they were made later than my car for the 328.