Scud Track Set Up Questions | FerrariChat

Scud Track Set Up Questions

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by gw32, Apr 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gw32

gw32 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I just purchased an ’08 Scuderia and want to set it up for the track. I would appreciate any guidance on the following:
    1. Tires: Trofeo R or MSC2’s or another tire? Track performance is the primary consideration.
    2. Harness: 4 pt. or does a 5 pt. work with the standard CF race seat. How is the harness attached to the chassis?
    3. Lower seat: I am 6’4” and don’t fit with my helmet. Can the seat be lowered?
    4. Does lowering the car to Euro spec (22MM?) improve handling?
    5. Alignment: Any recommendations?
    6. Any other suggestions for a basic track set up?
    7. Data Logger: I have used Traqmate in the past but see AIM has a new model, Solo DL. Anyone use both and have a preference?

2. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
  3. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Congrats. I can speak to this question because I have used both and have been/are one of the larger dealers for both.

Traqmate is fantastic because it got a lot of people into using data acquisition using premade templates and made it easy to assimilate the information. Introduced in 2004, the principal, Glenn Stephens from Atlanta, ceased production of new Traqmate products about eighteen months ago. While he still offers repair and service, the TraqDash is no longer made and development on the software and firmware has stopped. Used ones are available frequently, but usually limited to the Basic and Classic Complete. Probably would not recommend moving in that direction unless you have an existing system.

AiM, on the other hand, has a combination of components that are hard to beat. An Italian company, the Solo DL is an ECU-connection-only logger with a small display that is completely self contained. Introduced in late 2011/early 2012, thousands of these units have been sold, most combined with a video camera AiM calls the SmartyCam, now in HD (720p) form. The SmartyCam has it's own CPU, GPU and operating system, basically a small self-contained computer that writes the digital information like speed/rpm/track position/throttle pedal (in the case of the 430) and other measures ON TOP OF THE VIDEO in real-time. Thirty seconds after you come back into the pits, you have a fully rendered video with all the information on it. If you want to dig deeper into colored maps and strip charts, download the data via USB from the Solo DL and you're set there, but look at the video first. That way you can see what to work on next.

Here is an old standard def equipment video I made after putting a Solo DL and SmartyCam in a 458, while the Scud will get a little less info, you'll still get the good stuff. https://youtu.be/Po4yoytAdDg

Here's another older standard def equipment video made by another system that is exactly the same price (~$1800) as the SDL/SCHD combo by another piece of equipment called the Video VBOX Lite. https://youtu.be/lKbzcfp8Vek They have an HD version out that is just mind blowing, but it's almost twice the money with the accessories needed to use it in the Scud.

The most common combination for a 2008 Scud would be a Solo DL/SmartyCam HD Rev2.1 84 degree FOV (field of view) with suction cup mounts for each. About $1778.

The system would get power and ground, as well as car info, from the OBDII port, which means you could install and remove the system in a few minutes each way. Directions from AIM Sports are here: http://www.aim-sportline.com/download/ecu/stock/ferrari/FerrariF430_F430scuderia_104_eng.pdf

The quality of the video with this setup from my car: https://youtu.be/jmrFKGoPXPM

Remember, YouTube downsamples this so it is a little better than this. Select 720p. Email if I can help.