My 360 Engine On fire Today | FerrariChat

My 360 Engine On fire Today

Discussion in '360/430' started by riquede, Oct 4, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. riquede

riquede Karting

Aug 20, 2006
    T.River,NJ & WPB,FL
    Full Name:
    Deric
    #1 riquede, Oct 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I was traveling on the Garden state parkway today and my engine caught on fire. This was a pretty
    devastating experience. My car is a 2000 360 with 20k. After putting the fire out with the fire extinguisher i happened to have in my car, i took a closer look. It looks like the alternator wire caught on fire, has anyone heard of this or seen this? The damage seems to be minor on the outside, could it have caused other damage to engine/electrical?

Concerning my insurance, they told me i am covered for fire but will they repair the vehicle or more likely total it out? i am pretty sure the engine bay will need to be repainted as there looks to be damage there.

Deric
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Sorry to hear that Deric, I had a similar experience with my other car when the Pos cable from the battery to the alternator somehow came loose and touched the ground, when I came out of the store my engine bay was on fire ffirst thing I did was disconnect the battery but by then it was too late, my wires was all fried. Anyway my insurance paid me $1,500 and I did all the repair and it only cost me $500 to fix it.

If your insurance will cover the damage, I suggest to take it to the dealer.

3. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    MORE LIKELY total it out??? Because of some scortched paint???

My money says that there is no way on planet earth that any insurance company is going to "total it out".

4. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Glad you're OK, and know how to wield a fire extinguisher. Still, scary shiit. :(

I'm sure the insulation melted off a few wires, but I doubt it would be totalled given the current market value.

5. docweed

docweed Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2004
    Morgantown,WV
    Full Name:
    Chuck Stewart
    Sorry to see that...should get a Halon extinguisher. No dust to get sucked into the motor.

6. ZeEN

ZeEN Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2007
    Turkey
    Full Name:
    Eren
    Glad you are ok engine not looks so bad

7. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Awe maaaaaan, that sucks. Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

8. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    Glad you're fine. You handled the situation well. Anything else can be fixed.

9. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    That dry chemical is very corrosive (think salt). It needs to be removed from everything it touches and soon.

It's possible that there is "collateral damage" to some of your other systems that might not be apparent.

If it's been a while since a major service, now might be a good time to pull the engine and check the belts for "heat damage".

Considering the value of the car and the risk of overlooking something important, I would take it to a shop you can trust and let them work with the adjuster to get it right. You could end up with a lot of work done for the cost of your deductible.

Unless you are uninsured or "in the business" this is not the time for the budget, DIY approach.

I doubt it will be totaled but it will be a lot more expensive than you think.

Jaguar36 and carguyjohn350 like this.
  10. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Sorry to hear, I think in the situation you reacted very well and I am sure your quick reactions prevented a lot of additional damage.

11. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

In these situations it's better to let it just go up. That way insurance can't just try to fix it. After a fire it's impossible to get the smoke smell out.(it stays in the vents) Good luck getting it sorted out.

12. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Wow...thanks for the reminder to get an extinguisher for my 355...

13. CCCP

CCCP Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 26, 2007
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Max
    So thats why they have a clear cover on top of the Ferrari engines... :eek:

14. John J.

John J. Karting

Sep 4, 2007
    South West England
    Bought a fire extinguisher this morning!

15. CavalloRosso

CavalloRosso Formula 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA/Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    SVO
    Are you kidding?

16. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I agree with him. If it's an irreplaceable classic, use a fire extinguisher. If not, let it burn to the ground. Otherwise you'll be left with a repaired Ferrari, which is worth far less than one without a history. Better just to let it be "totaled" and get the full value and buy a new one.

17. X2BOARD

X2BOARD Karting

Apr 29, 2007
    Trinidad
    Full Name:
    AG

I don't think this would have a major impact on value if it's repaired by an authorized dealer. From the looks of it, he got it put out quickly enough and there should not be much smoke damage as I doubt it soaked past the firewall into the upholstery. Only big problem is to do it right as in OEM... it won't be inexpensive. :(

18. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    In my opinion had u been using a halon extinguisher, your car would have burned up. Halon simply does not work as well as dry chemical. Halon does work best when the gas can be contained with the fire where is smothers the combustible material. In an open engine bay, this is not lilely esp. if you are sitting along a busy thoroughfare. All that moving air can keep halon from doing what it does. So, I for one, am not faulting your use of dry chemical and wish you the best of luck in restroing the engine bay. Should be no big deal. Glad you were not injured.

19. Miura Jota

Miura Jota F1 Rookie

May 26, 2004
    Toluca , Mexico
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Why it never happens on regular everyday cars ?

20. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    An engine fire has a lot of variables. No extinguisher will work to put out a fire every time. The most important thing to do is turn off the ignition. If you have a fuel leak and the pump continues to run, feeding the fire, not even the fire department will help.

Proper use of the extinguisher is critical (aim at base of flames and sweep back and forth). If you don't have clear access to the fire it will be difficult to put it out.

In this case it looks like some burned wiring confined to the engine bay. It should be repairable, good as new. I doubt if the smell will persist.

I don't think it matters what shop you take it to (you are long out of warranty) as long as they know what they're doing with a 360 and can work with the insurance company to get as much as possible covered by your policy.

21. red355

red355 Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2007
    Pa
    I always wondered about this as well.

22. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    It does, who notices?

carguyjohn350 likes this.
  23. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    +1

24. Chiaroman

Chiaroman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 21, 2004
    New Jersey
    My friend had a 280Z back in the early 80's and it burnt to the ground along route 287 in NJ.

The guy I commuted to school with had a green camaro that also had a devastating fire.

Yes..it does happen to "other" cars.

Tom

25. Financialman

Financialman Formula 3

Sep 8, 2005
    San Jose CA
    Full Name:
    Dan Carpenter
    It does. A couple of years ago I saw three in one day!! Just everyday compact cars on the side of the freeway on fire, heck of a traffic jam as well!!