MSD Ignition | FerrariChat

MSD Ignition

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Ferraridoc, Sep 26, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    My poor old Dinoplex is getting a little temperamental when it gets hot, so I'm about to swap in an MSD unit. There have been a number of threads on this, including dedicated website for the Dinoplex. The recommendation seems to be the MSD 6AL-2, but I can't see any reason not to use the cheaper, lighter, and simpler 6AL. The 6AL-2 is a little smaller, but that's the only advantage.

2. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    The MSD6AL-2 (6421) footprint fits nicely into the AEC104 space. The 6AL (6425) is a bit longer but also works fine as an AEC104 replacement, it does not have the two step rev limiter and other features of the 6AL-2 but you would not use these in a typical Ferrari setup anyway.

The MSD6AL-2 AEC104 wiring sheet can also be used for the 6AL:
    http://www.dinoplex.org/PDF/Wiring_MSD6AL2_for_AEC104.pdf

Size comparison AE104 and MSD 6AL-2 (shown with custom AEC104 mounting plate in black):

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Thanks Adrian - that photo illustrates it nicely!

4. Stefan Elshout

Stefan Elshout Karting

Dec 1, 2011
    Holland
    I think the MSD streetfire is also an interesting option.
    It is less 'powerfull' than the 6AL(2) but it is much cheaper, it is smaller than the 6AL2, it accepts magnetic pickup, it has a rev limiter, the wires pass thru the lower side of the box instead of the left/right side and with a bit of machining you can fit it inside the original MSD case.

5. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    That looks great! Makes me wish I didn't order the 6AL last night!

6. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    When Tim Stanford installed a MSD unit in my 400iA years ago he left the Dinoplex in place and installed the weather proof MSD box under the right headlight. He left the original wiring visible so it looks like the dinoplex is operational. It resulted in a huge improvement in how it started and ran!

7. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    I'd really like to find someone who can wire it into my carbed car with two distributors. It gets a little flat at high rpm and I think it's spark related.

8. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    You need 2 MSD 6A's. PM Bill26 - he's just done it

9. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Found this interesting website dedicated to the Dinoplex. Lots of good info, though not related to MSD conversion.

10. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Streetfire is MSD's low budget brand which i believe is outsourced to China for production, the features are similar to the 6AL.

11. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Getting a little flar at high RPM can also be a symptom of the two advance curves not being in sync anymore.
    This is my recommendation for a two distributor setup, it runs quite nicely up to 9000 RPM and will fix the issue of synchronizing two distributor curves:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/bosch-ignition-for-s159-double-distributor-setups.453748/

12. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    Thanks. I'll try to find someone who can make this plug & play for me this winter.

13. Stefan Elshout

Stefan Elshout Karting

Dec 1, 2011
    Holland
    I am overhauling a 365 engine now and I will also convert the ignition to the setup alhbln describes.
    I'm currently working on the advance mechanisms, adapting one of the available advance rebuild kit's to this specific engine/distributor.
    I've also made some specific parts for the conversion so let me know when you need something, I can help you with the correct advance rebuild kits, chopper wheel, optical sensor base plate etc. etc.

14. Bill26

Bill26 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2005
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Bill Murdoch
    I’ve just finished modifying my 365 distributors using 2 x HKZ-101 Hall Effect sensors and a castellated steel chopper wheel. This sensor is a successor design to the original Bosch H/E sensor.

Both sensors are mounted in the leading (right hand) distributor so that the l/h distributor only distributes the high voltage to the l/h bank. Mechanical advance for both banks is controlled by the r/h distributor.

Gleggy (who makes beautiful replacement grilles for 365’s, 400’s, 330’s, Daytonas, etc.) water jet cut the sensor mounting plate and the chopper wheel with the necessary accuracy. We made tooling to press the chopper wheel (into a castle form).

Space inside the distributor is tight, but it all fits. I also fitted a thin steel disc above the upper bearing spider to isolate the sensors from any high voltage noise or spikes.

Once finished, I really wanted to verify the phasing between each cylinder and each bank (as well as the mechanical advance). I didn’t have access to a distributor test machine so I decided to make the one pictured. It uses a small electric planer for the drive with an electronic speed controller (made from a kit).

The results were very satisfying – variation between cylinders is less than 1deg. and between banks is negligible. The mechanical advance curve is as per spec. and the trigger is consistent up to at least 5,000 (distributor) RPM.

Regards

WM

15. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Great job! You'll love how your engine will be running with such a setup in place, compared to two distributor advance curves trying to stay in sync.

Stefan, thanks for making the required parts available!

16. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    Yes, Stefan, a kit would sell like wildfire. Actually maybe 2 or 3 kits...

17. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    BTW, I've been humming and hawing about how to mount this thing, and have decided to leave the original module in place for originality, and mount the MSD behind the battery, where there is far better access to every feed wire except the tacho. I'll have a ferret around to see where it runs in the harness before I run a wire through the firewall to the gauge as a fall back. (Unless anybody actually knows where it runs).

18. Pyrford Ranger

Pyrford Ranger Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2011
    Surrey UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Hi, i'm looking to get one of these MSD units , probably the streetfire one, but all the units say they are for 4,6,8 cylinder not 12?

19. roger21

roger21 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Stéphane
    Hello Rob
    If I understood correctly you need 2 6 units!!

20. Pyrford Ranger

Jan 21, 2011
    Surrey UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    sorry I've got a 400i (one distrbutor)i thought it was the 365 that needs 2 ? everyone else seems to be buying 1 i think

21. roger21

roger21 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Stéphane
    Sorry you are right, should have re-read the thread... Thought I had read something about two boxes.
    I've got a 400i too and I have got two units, for sure. But it has been done a long time before I own it and not MSD.
    (And I don't understand how it works, at all)

22. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    The cylinder count doesn't matter - it will fire every time the distributor tells it to. It does affect the rev limiter, which needs to be set 12/8 higher (ie, +50%), so leave it in 8 cylinder mode, and set it to 9,900 to get 6,600 for the 400i V12.

GT Jones likes this.
  23. Pyrford Ranger

Jan 21, 2011
    Surrey UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    ok many thanks Ferraridoc

24. fcf

fcf Rookie

Jan 30, 2015
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Frank
  25. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Beautiful job. BTW, it turns out my electrical problem was actually a circuit breaker that the auto-elec put in the fuel pump circuit. It was too small and kept cutting in and out. So the Dinoplex is fine, but I couldn't be arsed to change it all back again, especially as I've now gotten rid of that annoying high pitched whine.