Lessons Learned on Clear Bra Installation | FerrariChat

Lessons Learned on Clear Bra Installation

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by ridege55, Aug 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    I should have done more research in this forum, but I will chalk this up to lesson learned.

I had the entire front end (up to the doors) of my F430 installed with Xpel clear bra yesterday. Picked it up this morning and immediately saw the seams. Big seam in the middle of the car right below the Ferrari emblem and a few more seams by the headlights. Also, the cutouts around shields and markers were obvious. The installer said that he used the Xpel template for the F430, and showed me the pattern cutter. Anyways, I do not like the look of the seams so I am having him take off the clear bra.

Installer later calls back after speaking with his rep at Xpel. Looks like they will try to freehand the fenders with a giant roll and a fair amount of waste to avoid any seams. This is no knock on the installer or Xpel, I just wished I knew to ask about seams. I had assumed these things would have a clean look. Next time I know to ask.

2. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    DO NOT LET HIM FREE HAND IT! They use a razor and many times will cut right into the paint when trimming it.

3. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    He is using 3M cutting tape for the cutouts, but I will double check. Thanks for the heads up.

4. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
    I don't think the cutting tape is strong enough for ppf yet. I may be wrong so don't quote me on that. As for the fenders and not having a seam in the middle, they don't have to free hand that. We ALWAYS do a one piece there and it's part of a kit. There's just two options and he chose an easier one. Also every piece of every kit can be extended to get closer to the edges, wrap around the edges or tuck inside around the Ferrari shield for example. If they can't tuck it in there then it should be very close and hard to see. If the installer is very experienced then bulking (custom piece) the fenders shouldn't be an issue for him/her. I have seen paint that was scratched but if done right you'll never touch the paint with a blade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Strange. I had my 430 done by xpel in Austin two years ago and there are no seams where you described and its virtually invisible around the hood crest and scuderia shields. As above, make them fix it.

6. koop

koop Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2011
    The 430 is unique since the fenders are connected. I don't think xpel makes a piece large enough to cover the entire area without a seam. The correct way to do it without the seam in the middle is the use one big piece down the center and then put two seams, one on each fender underneath the shield. These seams should follow the body line right above the side marker. If its done right, they wont be visible.

7. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Thank you and good to know. I will mention this when they redo the bumper area.

The installer did mention he would use a giant piece that xpel is sending to him. He called and told me that the xpel rep said the Ferrari guys get very particular... duh! If they know that, then why even have the seam option. Thanks for your input

8. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo

There is, we do it all the time. Really comes down to the installer, plotter and the size of the roll they have. You have to use a 60" roll to cut it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    i have clear bra and you can't see the seams or cutouts. probably installer issue

10. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    This is exactly how mine was done. Now the last shop did apply the fender pieces over top of the original wheel well arch pieces which was not smart. It left thin bubble lines visible close up at the under layer edge.

Also, the large piece for the trunk lid has a flaw in it, like a wrinkle in the roll. It probably came off the production line that way and was not visible at first glance. You kinda have to look for it to find it and it's done it's job pretty well.

Also, the paint job was soft enough on both the 348 and 360 that hard rock impacts can fracture the paint below the film. Over time the fracture will crater from vibration and heat and the paint will turn over, exposing the primer underneath. It appears like a pin head white spot. The way I found to cover it before a re-wrap is to take a sharp exacto knife, carefully cut a slit over top of the white spot. Pry back the wrap with the knife tip and dust out the tiny crater. Add a dot of touch up paint and pack it into the chip. clean up with alcohol mix and let dry. This will greatly reduce the appearance on the chip and buy time until a re-wrap can be done.

11. Greg34

Greg34 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 31, 2010
    Sunset Beach
    Full Name:
    Greg
    The installer is the key to a really great job vs. ho hum. Just like everything else out there

My guy removes all badging whenever possible and re-applies OVER the film so no cut outs or trimming.

Great jobs on all the cars he has done for me and his client list reflects his work.

He has one of my cars now for a full front end wrap

I hope they can make it right

12. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Greg, are you in SoCal? Saw Sunset Beach. If you are, would you mind sharing your installers info? Thank you

13. Greg34

Greg34 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 31, 2010
    Sunset Beach
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Ultamateshield.com

They use all the best products and do a great job.
    BUT, be prepared to pay for it. They are not cheap.
    The value works for me but may not for everyone

Good luck