Heading to Munich in late Sept | FerrariChat

Heading to Munich in late Sept

Discussion in 'Europe' started by rmani, Sep 8, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Hi Guys,

My wife and I are heading to Munich for a work/pleasure related event. We have one full day to ourselves (Sunday) and I wanted to rent a BMW and experience the Autobahn and something worth visiting. We thought about a day trip to Liechtenstein but I need ideas. I just want to drive on an unrestricted section of the autobahn. As much as I'd like to visit the Porsche factory in Stuttgart it's a bit of a drive and my wife prefers to see castles or other iconic touristy things.

Thoughts on where I should go?

2. Thomas S.

Thomas S. Karting

Sep 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    For combing some good driving with scenery and Bavarian food, go to Berchtesgaden and drive the Rossfeld Panorama Street. Or even better, go a bit further west to Oberjochpass (and back through Austria and Berchtesgaden. Skip Neuschwanstein - just traffic jams and too may tourists there.
    In Munch Motorworld is a must for petrolheads. Great mix of exotic car storage, dealers etc. - and free of charge to visit. For relaxing after all the car-stuff, bring your wife to nice beer garden (plenty of them available all around town...). Always works with my wife when being in the area ;)...

3. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    I did a quick mapping and the oberjoch pass appears to be the opposite direction of berchtesgaden. Do any of these roads take me on areas of the autobahn with no speed limits?

4. Thomas S.

Thomas S. Karting

Sep 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Not sure, as I am not living in the area. I think most of the A8 westbound towards Ulm/Stuttgart from Munich is unlimited for the first part, and shouldn't be too busy early on weekends. The Autobahn in the direction of Nürnberg was limited when I went there last time in January of February - but not sure whether that was temporary or permanent. Probably better people on this forum to answer that question.

rmani likes this.