Ferrari California - Please help me decide. | FerrariChat

Ferrari California - Please help me decide.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by mobinakhtar, Oct 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mobinakhtar

mobinakhtar Karting

Jan 28, 2015
    Hello Friends,
    Trying to buy a Cali for myself and wife for occasional driving and dinners etc. Never have raced and probably never will - only quick take-offs from lights. Very rare spirited driving. Upgrading from an 02 Maserati Coupe F1 that I owned for 7 years. Had some good punch but towards the end got tired of interior breaking down, ****ty sound, and started to feel sluggish (after driving a friends Gallardo specially). I think 0-60 is important to me.

I am split between two Cali's. Both red/tan - both at 18K miles+/-

1. 2013 Base - No options that I can see - not even heated/memory seats - does have daytona seats. 123K but its a "30". one owner immaculately kept LA car with 2 years of maint left. Bone stock

2. 2010 Loaded with carbon/LED steering, carbon fiber insert, tan w/blk insert daytonas. built in radar and blacked out roof and black Ferrari rims . red calipers. Car is a looker for sure. also has an Italian stripe on hood - if you search rossocorsa on fleabay you'll find it - 107K negotiated price on this one

I like the looks of 2010 and specially the red calipers/heated-memory seats-the two-tone (controvercial cause wife didn't care for them too much). And finally - the LED CF steering that makes it look like 458's steering

2013 is just newer and more HP. Probably will hold up better too.

Please help me decide.

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    IMHO 2013.

paulchua likes this.
  3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Agreed, also some of the things you mentioned (i.e. calipers, stripes) can be added after.

Go 2013

4. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Id probably go the 2013 as well, of course i could care less about carbon drivers zone, and as stated if you want different rims, brake calipers, ect its not hard to add em later. I think heated seats in a car you will mainly drive in the summer is silly, only option that I might find useful (though i never did on the one i rented for a week recently) is the cruise control. 2 tone seats might be neat but in my opinion all of the pluses in opting for the 2013 outweigh the the options on the 2010 if it were my decision. Honestly the one option that from what I understand is the best to find is one with the Handling package which it doesnt sound like either of these have so its a moot point. But if i were comparing 2 different cars and one had it and the other didnt and the prices were that close (not sure if the price you indicated on the 2013 is a negotiated price or not) id go for the one with the HS package.

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Another vote for 13. Newer, 30 more hp, 30 less kg, happier wife. Seal the deal!
    Good luck.
    T

6. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    LOL. I don't drink.. but I have a liter of Vodka under my desk that I sip from..

Why not get a GTR if 0-60 is important to you and "quick take-offs from lights"? When the transmission crunks it's going to be be less expensive... and faster.

7. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    LED steering wheel is must have. Really.

8. OwenC

OwenC Karting

Aug 12, 2017
    Does the Cali 30 with HS package's driving characteristic feel noticeably better than the original Cali?

Would you say closer to the newer Cali T? Or is the Cali T a very different car in terms of driving feel?

9. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    If your interest is 0 to 60, compare a new Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio to the older stock California.
    The QF is basically 6/8ths of a Cali-T engine in a lighter chassis, so the 0-60 is similar to the normal breathing Cali.
    The Cali has a 7 speed paddle operated Getrag; the Alfa QF has an 8-speed paddle operated ZF.
    And a new QF is 3/4ths of the price of a 2010 Cali.

10. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    California is not the car if you are into 0-60 sprints. and yes i own one

HotShoe likes this.
  11. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Cali T in my opinion is too fly by wire. The Cali and Cali 30 do feel significantly different than the Cali T, and IMO better, though the base Cali is a bit under powered. Cali 30 is an awesome car. Looking at one myself right now. You know that Ferrari gives you 7yrs of free maintenance after 2012, right? So that's a good $5k still to build into the decision on annuals over the next three years. You also benefit from whatever refinements they've made in the DCT.

12. OwenC

OwenC Karting

Aug 12, 2017
    Interesting, I own a 2013 Cali 30 with HS package but I've never tested either the base Cali or the newer Cali T so I'm curious about the other Cali versions. Having DCT is very nice as it's a lot smoother than say a Lamborghini Gallardo or 1st gen Audi R8 I've driven recently.

Yes, 7-yr maintenance plan is a good bonus even if my Ferrari dealer still charges me labor fees. Which I guess still isn't so bad as my recent maintenance service cost half of what the Mercedes dealer charged me for my AMG C63.