F1 Racing Magazine - Greatest Ferrari Driver? | FerrariChat

F1 Racing Magazine - Greatest Ferrari Driver?

Discussion in 'F1' started by rob lay, Sep 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Did you know FerrariChat is associated with F1 Racing Magazine too?

F1 Racing magazine is celebrating Ferrari’s 70th anniversary in their December issue (on sale in the UK on 3 November). inside they are listing Ferrari’s greatest F1 driver by asking fans - the members of the FerrariChat community - to vote. The shortlist is every driver who won a world championship grand prix for the Scuderia. The survey closes at the end of September, so just who will come out on top? You have one choice, so get voting now...

http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/3859543/Greatest-Ferrari-driver-of-all-time

2. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Man, I hate lists.
    Numbers-wise, MS is.
    As far as the greatest 'driver' goes, wow, we have seen some really 'spirited' drives come thru Maranello,
    Niki, Gilles, Pironi, Alboreto, but I have to pay homage also to the ones I never saw drive as well..

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    haven't we discussed this many times in the past? I seem to think a majority acknowledged Schumacher had the best results, but that Fangio was maybe the best driver? very hard to compare drivers of different times.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  4. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    MSC no brainer

jgonzalesm6 and NeuroBeaker like this.
  5. Caracciola

Caracciola Karting
    BANNED

I voted for Lauda who impressed me a lot when I was younger.
    He would also have deserved the title the year of the Nurburgring accident.
    Nobody fought harder for the Scuderia.

6. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I voted for Ascari. To me he is the quintessential Ferrari driver...

7. CSM0TION

CSM0TION Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Brandon
  8. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    You notice it is for the "Greatest GP Winner" so, of course, poor Chris Amon (who was probably better than at least 1/3 of the drivers on the list) gets left out again.

Personally, I picked Ascari.

moretti likes this.
  9. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm Ascari fan as well

10. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Frankly, IMO the best driver ever to drive for Enzo was Tazio Nuvolari, but unfortunately before 1950 does not count.

11. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    No contest, Michael Schumacher. His work ethic on the testing and development side ensured he had the best car to get the best results. In any case, he put in some amazing performances on race days.

All the best,
    Andrew.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  12. Claudia65

Claudia65 Karting

Mar 29, 2017
    Switzerland
    #12 Claudia65, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    Hmmm....well Fangio was probably the best...but he went where the best car was i guess....so i ll go for those who signed when Ferrari wasnt at the top and won anyway..so its Michael and Lauda for me...cant really judge the boys from the very early days but the stats say Ascari won 48 % of his Ferrari Races and Fangio 42 % while Micheal is at 40 %......but it were different era`s,and reliability was a bigger thing etc....if i let my Heart decide..its von Trips, Gilles and Micheal :)

13. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Thats easy, Gilles is by far the most revered Ferrari driver and with reason since he was by far the most talented one and the one that cause more impact on f.1 during his time. Niki, Ascari and Shummy probably next. No doubt this 4 guys are the all time greatest drivers at the helm of a Ferrari.

francisn likes this.
  14. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    Most accomplished - Michael.

Most loved - Gilles. After all these years the most revered and loved Ferrari driver. Also Enzo's favourite. Like a son.
    No 27 will live forever.

NEP and 375+ like this.
  15. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Schumacher....... oversaw the transition from amateur racers mixing it with professional racers, into honed, professional athletes behind the wheel. Get fit, or get out of the seat, whereas for those years before his arrival, some drivers paid less attention to their fitness, and even their waistlines, than they should have (remember mansell not fitting in the mclaren seat when he arrived one day at the track, and they had to redesign the car to accommodate him)

Drove crap cars as well as the best cars, and won in both regardless, fought for safety both for drivers, but also for the roads, total humanitarian with his silent charity donations in the millions. Fantastic ambassador for the sport, always respectful to his entire team, made sure that the team itself, every member, knew how important they were to him and the teams success.

Hand and shoulders above them all as an allrounder

furoni and NEP like this.
  16. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Absolutely, you nailed it.

furoni likes this.
  17. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    +1, thats it

18. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I think this is a pretty clear answer - Michael Schumacher has to be the best at Ferrari and here is why:

1. When MSC joined Ferrari were no where - and had only won one race the previous year and 2 the year before that. from 1991 to 1994 they won nothing.
    2. MSC stuck with the team when it would have been easy to go to McLaren or Renault / Bennetton
    3. He built the team around him, Brawn, Byrne, and brought the level of preparation to the highest level ever at Ferrari ( even mechanics were working out)
    4. His dedication to testing all the time ( when it was allowed) and his commitment to personal fitness allowed Ferrari to try new things at all times.
    5. Ruthless on track - not always fair but he was single minded to win ( much like Lauda )
    6. Kept his mouth shut - when the press was going after Todt, and others he always supported the team
    7. Drove some bad cars and made them win - 1996, 1997, 1998 cars were not winners - but he won with them

Fangio , Ascari, Lauda and Surtees were great drivers, but they searched for the best car all the time - Fangio especially. Villeneuve was spectacular and I think 82 could have been a Championship year but sadly the wild streak in him did not allow him to survive..... MSC is the one.

jgonzalesm6 and NEP like this.
  19. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    How can Fangio be the greatest, when there wasn't loyalty in those days?

It has to be Schumi, followed by Lauda, Gilles closely.

20. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Fangio was not that important for Ferrari..not a true Ferrari driver (unfortunatly for us :))..but we had Ascari who was as good as him

21. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Fangio is certainly one (if not the best ) of the best drivers ever.. regardless of the era. In my opinion the further you go back in time, the harder and more dangerous the cars and racing was - the far better driver you had to be. Ok the speeds were not as high, but the chance for error or failures were 1000 x higher and regardless of 200mph or 130mph- you can die just as easily. Fangio not only raced those cars, he won races and championships - but also survived to a ripe old age... that is the main accomplishment. To race and die - gives you glory... but to race, win and survive -gives you greatness!

The fact that his record of 5 championships stood till Schumacher beat it, and that his race victory record was only bettered by Jim Clark, and then Jackie Stewart in the 60's and 70's ... shows how amazing this man was.

22. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Mr. Ferrari and Fangio did not trust each other. Fangio was suspect of the safety of Ferrari... ( who was running the team on a shoe string in those days) and he was not convinced that he would live long racing for Ferrari... Fangio's instinct or getting the right car / team at the right time was uncanny. better than almost anyone else - perhaps Jackie Stewart had the same knack.

23. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    There can be no doubts about fangio's greatness, but not as a Ferrari driver.....

Remy Zero likes this.
  24. Caracciola

Caracciola Karting
    BANNED

Ascari's 2 WDCs are slightly devalued by the fact that they were obtained with Formula 2.
    The championship wasn't raced with Formula 1 cars for 2 years.
    There was hardly any opposition against the Ferraris during that period, and Fangio didn't race for one year because of injury.

25. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Sorry i meant as 'greatest' Ferrari driver. Not the debating of whether he was the greatest of all time. That is for sure. But in regards of the topic...I don't think he can be considered to be the greatest Ferrari driver, when he switched teams so consistently.