Exterior Engine Lid Detailing Tips | FerrariChat

Exterior Engine Lid Detailing Tips

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by goose22b, Sep 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. goose22b

goose22b Rookie

Aug 11, 2017
    Prosper, TX
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Hello all,

Just purchased a new to me 1990 348 this week, and I had a couple questions about proper care for some of the pieces on the car. The attached photo shows the two areas I need to learn more about!
    1. The engine lid cover has a black piece on it with a matte type finish. I have no idea if this is painted metal or a plastic panel. The appearance looks a little mottled, and went over it with some Griot's speed shine, and it returned quickly to a matte finish, but still slightly mottled looking. Is this supposed to be matte, or should I be putting something on it to UV protect and clean it up? What do you all recommend for care in this area?
    2. The covers over the rear lights are also a matte paint finish right now. What is recommended for these bars?

Appreciate all the knowledge and tips!
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. FerrariCobra

FerrariCobra Rookie

Aug 21, 2009
    Basking Ridge
    Full Name:
    David Ewald
    I have a 1995 348 spyder and as for the rear tail light grill mine is not matte finish but semi-gloss finish. I think someone in the past said they are anodized finished but not 100% sure. I use wax on mine to keep it clean and in-between I use speed shine for cleaning the road grim.

3. woody byrd

woody byrd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2006
    cary, nc
    Full Name:
    woody byrd
    I have just recently discovered a wonderful product called "Black Wow". I got it at Detailed Image. It says for plastic, but seems to work good on trim regardless. try a small area first. Great to have around. I have also applied 22ple on all my cars. It does a great job on some of the trim like this. door trim, etc. Clean it very good to start. This is also terrific stuff and will last a long time. I have a habit of buying all the products that make various claims, and pull them all out for a try for any need. Keep trying different onesz until one usually does a good job.

4. goose22b

goose22b Rookie

Aug 11, 2017
    Prosper, TX
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Thanks for the suggestions, and I'll look into them.

Used some wax on the bars last night, and it was a deep rich black color, then went back to a slightly satin finish after I hand rubbed on some wax and it dried. I kind of liked the deeper black gloss color. I'll see if there's something out there.

5. goose22b

goose22b Rookie

Aug 11, 2017
    Prosper, TX
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Just to close the loop, used Meguiar's back to black, and it seemed to work on the rear bars really well. Brightened them up and restored the look quite well. It also helped with the look of the top of the engine cover, but left a slightly greasy finish. Never seen this product do this before, so it's a little new to me. Hopefully that fades soon. I did end up using a lot of product though to ensure even coverage.

6. KoreanStallion

Dec 1, 2021
    New York. N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Korean Stallion
    Any advice on how to polish the rear grill? also the engine cover? are these anodized aluminum? I don't want to remove any of the black coloring.

7. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

No idea on a 348 but I do know that 308 are black anodized aluminum.

8. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff