DIY Alternator wire fix | FerrariChat

DIY Alternator wire fix

Discussion in '360/430' started by Virulosity, Oct 11, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Virulosity

Virulosity Karting

Jun 26, 2017
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Rob
  2. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    One issue I see with the kit is the use of 6AWG wire. When mine failed, the burned section of cable was similar to actual fine strand welding lead. I replaced the damaged section with #2 welding lead and a new lug. I had considered replacing or building a new harness but I decided against that since new harness or not, the damage was at the alternator connection. For protection, I put ACCELL high temp sparkplug boots over the new cable. If the lug does fail again, hopefully, there wont be any chance of a short since the cable is insulated.

3. Virulosity

Virulosity Karting

Jun 26, 2017
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Not sure I understand, you think 6 Gauge is too much?

4. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    No, actually too small. When my wire failed, I cut a section off and took it down to my electrical supply house to match up a new cable. The wire used in the harness is finely stranded #2 gauge wire, similar to #2 welding lead. The lead that I used had a used had an approximate conductor cross section of .375. The typical riding lawn mower battery cable is 4 gauge wire which is one size larger than the 6 gauge in the Painless kit.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Virulosity

Virulosity Karting

Jun 26, 2017
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Mine failed exactly the same way yours did. I don't think wire gauge has anything to do with that :)
    6 Gauge wire should be able to do 150 amps continuously with out too much temperature rise, it is pretty obvious to me that the cable failed because the materials used in the termination don't provide adequate corrosion resistance, and the design didn't have appropriate weatherization. This is also common on the battery terminals of older cars that aren't kept clean. I will be cleaning my alternator stud with a wire brush, tightening down the lug then spraying it with corrosion inhibitor and fitting the supplied boot over the connection.

whatheheck likes this.
  6. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The problem was not where the terminal connected to the alternator, but with how the terminal was crimped on the wire itself. This is why Ferrari had to change how they made the harness and update the new harness. The 6 gauge wire is way too small for the output of the alternator. If anything, you should be going larger.
    Why don't you just purchase the correct Ferrari part and install it the correct way?

7. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Brian, are you saying that the 'newer' cars had the improved cable? I am trying to determine if my '04 was a recipient or I will have to add this to my To do List for the upcoming hibernation period.

8. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    $1500 for a cable that has an "updated harness" for a cable that runs from the back of the alternator to the starter.

Yeah I'll replace that cable with like kind or run one in parallel if it happens to me thank you. I'm pretty sure that a better part can be fabricated for under $100...

whatheheck likes this.
  9. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    The 2g cable that I spliced in is equal to what was there. The 6g wire is more than likely standard THHN wire commonly found in most harnesses. What Ferrari spec'd in the harness is finely stranded similar to 600+ strand welding lead. I'll put it this way, I spent less money buying 10' of 2g welding lead, 2g 5/16 ring terminal, and associated other parts than the cost of that kit and in my opinion, I have a better termination than what the original was without modifying the harness using a kit designed for a "standard" type setup on a street/race car.

10. Virulosity

Virulosity Karting

Jun 26, 2017
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I don't want to sound arrogant, but the part that ferrari designed is heavy, expensive, and has already proven that it couldn't do the job, in only 18k miles, and it isn't a fluke occurrence that just happened to my car. There are cars with much bigger alternators that run 6 gauge, not sure how you determined it to be too small. If there was enough wire length to easily terminate a new lug on to I would have done that, but in my case, it was better to run a new pre-terminated wire that was done well, than to replace a poor termination with another poor termination. Even if the ferrari part was reasonably priced ($30, not over $1000), the labor to replace it is still ridiculous since it was routed through the engine requiring disassembly of too much of the car to access it.

11. liuyu79

liuyu79 Rookie

Oct 17, 2014
    I just had the flashing battery light came on my 2000 360, measured the voltage when car ideals, only 12V, so I know my alternator is bad. But during the removal, I discovered the issue is actually with fried alternator cable due to heat and corrosion. I think this is a very common problem on 360, so fellows, next chance you get, please examine your alternator harness, as this could lead to some serious problem if not caught early.
    View attachment 2699592 View attachment 2563806

12. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Rob and Curt are dead solid right about the proper repair for the Alt/Bat cable. Easy DIY or take your failed cable to NAPA and they can make one for you. Or, buy the same gauge/length cable from an online race shop like Summit or even Amazon for that matter. Failure at or near the crimp is common on any and all battery cable connections due to corrosion/heat which embrittles the metal and it eventually breaks. Very common. Paying Ferrari ~1k for a cable is crazy. Sort of like paying a Ferrari dealership to wash your car and certify the wash job with a stamp in your owners manual.

13. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    As I recall, that was one of the few actual recalls on a 360.

14. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I thought about jerry rigging this, but I bought the upgraded harness with the factory part and never looked back.