California T depreciation speculation? | FerrariChat

California T depreciation speculation?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by letsplay99, Feb 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. letsplay99

letsplay99 Karting

Mar 28, 2013
    What do you guys think, will it have a premium in the used market like the 458 spider or will follow the general california depreciation curve.....

It is too early to tell, but I think at least the first model year should have a high enough demand to warrant an over msrp ask in the used market?

2. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    Oh my god. Not 12 hours have passed since launch and you start with this speculation already? Give me a break...

3. scootmchoot

scootmchoot Rookie

Jul 31, 2011
    I'm also interested in how the announcement will affect first generation California prices. I've been wanting one for some time; maybe this release will push prices a little closer to what I want to pay.

4. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
  5. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    Do we know what the release price is yet? Without that, it will be tough to know if it is merely outrageous, truly exorbitant, or just plain crazy priced. I;'m guessing they'll have a 10-12% premium over the current model, and then adjust down or up depending on the demand (which I think will be pretty high). The higher this one goes, the less depreciation you'll see with the previous model (supply and demand).

The external visual isn't a stunning break like the 430 to 458 was, so many may be just as happy to get a 2010-13 model and benefit from the initial depreciation. Those currently owning a 2012-13 California may also not jump onboard until they can get a sense of how the DCT will stand up to the torque, how well Ferrari had addressed some of the minor gripes, etc.

Short conclusion- Ten percent boost in price, and then a premium in short order if the demand grows. Less adverse impact to the older model than many think, because if you want the new one, getting the older model for 24 months while waiting may be what you'll want once you decide you would enjoy a hard-top GT to use comfortably for a variety of purposes. That, plus the added attention to the model line due to this release, should sustain demand enough to keep prices from dropping too quickly.

6. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    hahahaha! :D

7. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I would doubt there will be a premium they will be in plentiful supply.. I think they will sell for list price new ....

8. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    Totally agree, doubtful that the few options which came with the 2014 will be included at no charge. Naturally, they should be, as why would a 250k car not come with sensors, homelink, rear camera etc. included? I understand that a 458 or F12 may not, but they are not considered DDs.

9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    99% of Fchatters said in 2009 the CA would depreciate 60 to 100 grand in the first year.

99% of Fchatters were wrong.

10. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009

Nobody saw that coming did they? Remarkable how the California has held its ground.

11. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Buy what you love. You don't drive your stocks.

12. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Absolutely!

13. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    I think more will consider new cali as an alternative to 458 spider. It now looks nice enough that viable as way to avoid wait list and/or pay sticker. Esp true for those who use 458 like a gt car anyway

14. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Oh you have done it now... :)

15. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I sorta understand the concern about the DCT, but also don't. Isn't the DCT in the F12 the same transmission? If so, the added torque of the Cali T shouldn't be an issue. I recognize there are reliability concerns about the DCT in the Cali, esp. the earlier ones, but I suspect the problems are due to something other than any inability to handle high torque.

I like the new T, but probably need to hear/drive one to be sure I will like the turbo engine. The design is pleasant, but more evolutionary than revolutionary. It would be useful to see one side by side with the prior car.

16. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    Not to let the thread die, :) Why are we worried of deperiation, when a 1958 California, just sold at auction for 8.5 million USD

We should just hold ours for the next 60 years or so

uhn2000 likes this.
  17. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    No, not too early to tell. The first T's on the "pre-owned" market will sell for between $700,000 to $900,000 depending on how they were optioned. Justin Beiber's car (is there any doubt he will disgrace us again) will go for well over one million. Heavily clad CF models will be discounted to $200,000 since California buyers don't like CF. Existing Cali models will immediately jump $100,000 to $200,000 in value as a rising tide raises all boats, or cars as it were.

Of course, I could be wrong. ;)

18. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    Paul, I agree wholeheartedly, but was just afraid to post these numbers...if we all stick together and refuse to sell for less, this will happen!

19. Savino

Savino Rookie

Oct 7, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Everybody is concerned about the new compared to the old. You have to be kidding me! It is not about the latest and the greatest. Depreciation..... did you think buying an exotic car would prevent the car from depreciating? It is obvious no one has anything to say except to pose the question of who is going to be the first one to bail on their Cali. I then have to pose the question of why did you first buy the Cali. The answer is of course that it is the car for all the right reasons. Sit tight guys! Enjoy the old Cali, the new one is not necessarily better or will hold the value better. Love Cali 30

20. Savino

Savino Rookie

Oct 7, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    The above message sounds too angry... i forget that this is an open forum and that I should not be so harsh and close minded. Sorry guys.

21. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012

We're all pretty passionate here, and California owners are used to being picked on (lol) so I'm confident no offense was taken. We just love to parse every possible detail to maintain that "contact high" of thinking about the car, I think.

Purchasing a new or late model Ferrari is an irrational, illogical thing in the first place, so depreciation wasn't a big deal then or now. I just consider that the difference between what I paid for it and what I might eventually recoup is the charge for admission to the coolest amusement park on earth...

uhn2000 likes this.
  22. seateddime

seateddime Karting

Apr 9, 2008
    Full Name:
    Jason
    These are going to drop for sure but for the ones with under 10K Mi will they bring 430 money or are they heading off a cliff?

There are a ton on the market now. What are they worth today and in a year from now?

23. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Well, that '58 had the original sat nav with the clear plastic in place.

24. rardoin

rardoin Karting

Feb 11, 2014
    Lafayette Louisiana
    Full Name:
    R Ardoin
    Jon, I passed on that one at auction because it did not have the Cavallino hologram etched into the center bottom of the touchscreen as an original should. A fabulous fake indeed!!!

25. not4one

not4one Formula Junior

May 23, 2010
    CT, FL
    Exactly what I'm doing...dealer picking up my Spider today. Will be missed, but looking forward to having the GT-like torque of the Cali T. I'm thinking it'll be a great weekend car for whatever I'm doing.