Group Buy: QA1 Coil-over Shock Bushings | FerrariChat

Group Buy: QA1 Coil-over Shock Bushings

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Owens84QV, Dec 24, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Calling anyone (and especially Verell) who will be installing new coil-over shocks, especially QA-1's and needs shock bushings / spacers.

"Atlantaman" has made several sets over the past year or two. I approached him recently and asked for the price on one set. He said that if I or Verell could get several people interested, he would make several sets.

Anyone in?

2. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    I could use a set for the rears. I just replaced the fronts

3. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
    I could use a set for my boxer.
    In fact, I could use a complete suspension set.
    What material does he use?

4. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
  5. masonfamliy04

masonfamliy04 Karting

Nov 29, 2004
    Brooksville Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill, Amanda, Tyler
    I would love a full set for my 83 308 qv twin turbo!!!

6. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    So we are up to:

Me,
    Matteo
    John Robbins
    "Bill"

Where's Verell?

7. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I need a full set, front and rear, for my 77 308. (16 spacers).

I've upgraded to Varishocks/QA-1 springs, and I'm using washers on both sides of the shock mount heads because they're narrower that the OEM Konis.

Wouldn't these need to be hard, not pliable urethane? We don't want any movement of the shock mount.....

Count me in...

Greg328

8. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    The set that Atlantaman makes are out of aluminum. There will be a single bushing on either side of the shock mount.

9. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    So now we are up to:

Me (Owens84QV)
    Matteo
    John Robbins
    "Bill"
    Greg328

Still...where's Verell?

10. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Never again, any group buy for me.

11. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Merry Christmas to you as well!

12. walawdog

walawdog Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2004
    Bluefield, WV
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    78 308, I'm in for a full set.

13. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    So now we are up to:

Me (Owens84QV)
    Matteo
    John Robbins
    "Bill"
    Greg328
    Anthony

14. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    How many need to participate to get started?

Mine will need to be machined precisely to the proper width. I have Varishocks, which are narrower at the shock mount than Konis. I guess I'll have to provide my measurements, unless somebody/everybody else here has the same equipment...

Greg

77 308

15. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    If you reference the embedded thread above, it details the aluminum bushings that Atlantaman can make. These were made for the QA-1 shocks, but may also work for the Varishocks as well.

16. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Hello,
    Sorry, have been flat out the last couple of weeks between a major deliverable for my 8-6 job & coaching Gaspar thru his 1st 328 major, incl valve adj & outer timing bearing replacement! Unfortunately, both of these projects were victims of the old maxim: "Everything takes longer & costs more..."

As a result, I haven't had much time for Fchat & ,as some of you unfortunately know, I am running way behind on Unobtainium Supply orders.

However, Gaspar drove his car home last weekend & I'm starting 2 wks vacation from my 8-6 job & will use big chunks of it to catch up on that US backlog. Also, I hope to get a couple of new US designs into production: 4V cam locks, & QA-1 shock bushings.

While he did make an Al set, that's changed. I've been working with Atlantaman on a steel shock bushing design based on the dimensions resulting from a series of conversations I had with QA-1 Tech Support last summer. Chrismorse has been running a prototype set we got to him back then. See this thread:

308 spring shock settings
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62728

For pictures, Scan down the thread to the post headed:
    unobtanium bushings for the QA-1 shock

The bushing's fit on the 12mm bolt is critical. We had to get a special reamer to ensure that we could hold the thru-bore tolerences sufficiently tight.

I see 8 people signed up so far. That gets us into the ballpark for a small production run. I'll get back to you with a price quote. Price will probably be less than $150/set for the QA-1 bushings, c-clips, & washers. Given an order of 8 sets, we may be able to shave that as it's a large enough to justify setting up a CNC lathe.

I'll take advantage of the run to buy a set for myself, & maybe an additional set for Unobtainium Supply shelf stock.

I can't promise that the group buy price will hold beyond this production run tho. Once this run is sold out, future prices will depend on order volume & setup costs. Most likely they'll be higher.

I believe I only see greg328 requesting Varishock bushings. Are there more people interested in them?

I need mounting dimensions for the varishocks, before I can quote a price. greg328, can you supply them, or a pointer to a drawing with them?

greg, you also have to understand that, unless we can make the QA-1 bushing work by shimming it with more washers, the price for Varishock bushing are likely to be different than for the QA-1 bushings. This could change if there are several more requests for Varishock bushings.

17. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Verell,
    Good to have you back. I think Mike Charness also has Varishocks, oh yeah, he already had custom spacers fabbed for his 308.

I can get you measurements. Would the shock head width be enough?

Or, is there a slight variance on every 308's welded shock mount "ears".
    (Maybe those ears are just on the rear upper, don't remember right now..)
    They look pretty "handbuilt" to me. In this case would you need me to measure each shock mount location inside diameter, upper and lower?

I currently am using 2-3 washers on both sides of the shocks to fill in the gap. Is this a bad thing?

On another Unobtanium Supply question, did you ever make a run of those early 308 decklid support hinges to replace the crappy plastic OEM ones?
    I was on the list for that one. I wouldn't mind being on your list for any other US items you have that may apply to my 1977 308GTB.....

Thanks,
    Greg

18. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I'm putting together a price based on using stainless steel for the bushing, clips, & washers. In the long run SS should have less maintenance hassels than plating or other finishes on standard steel.

Greg,
    Luckily the 3x8 shockmounting brackets are all the same length, so I have that dimension off of Koni shocks.

When developing the QA-1 design, we found out that the dimensions they recommend allow for such things as the urethane bushings compressing under load.

If you'll post which Varishock P/Ns you're using, including any optional hw, and a pointer to their web site, I'll get the tech info I need for the bushing design direct from them.

19. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm going to have to bow out of this one, as I've haven't completely decided which shocks I'm going to use. Also not sure that 3x8 spacing is the same as my boxer.
    Sorry, I should have thought before I jumped.
    John

20. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Verell,

So good to hear from you! Glad to have you back on the board with us. Based on Chris Morse's feedback, you may want to include the two washers each side like he used. Based on the F-Chatters on this thread who are interested in a set, let us know when you need $$ to begin and what leadtimes look like.

I'll be doing timing belts 1st weekend in Feb and then working the suspension system aftet that. I'll be interested in a set of the 4V cam locks as well.

Appreciate your help Verell. Let me know what you need from me and how I can help. One of these days, I look forward to the opportunity to meet you in person.

- Greg Owens

21. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I'm ahead of you. I gave Chris extra washers 'just in case'. Am planning to include 4 washers with each bushing, at least until we learn more about how much the poly bushings vary from one shock to another. Apparently QA-1 just lets there be a bit of float, or else the bushings flow out somewhat over time.

I should know lead times & pricing late this week.

Normally I don't require a deposit for an order, just float the mfg. costs out of my pocket, but this buy is larger than I can float just after Christmas & facing taxes(sigh). So I'll be asking for a 50% up front deposit when orders are placed.

Of course if you just want to just pay the full price in advance, I won't argue. ;^)

22. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I know I'll just pay you 100% up front. By Wednesday, we should target to have a count and final list of names.

- Greg

23. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Verell,
    I'll follow up tomorrow with my Varishock part #s tomorrow.

The website is www.varishock.com

They are made by Chris Alston's Chassisworks in California..

Thanks for doing this. We all really appreciate all you do for the Ferrari community here on F-Chat!

Happy New Year,
    Greg

24. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Verell, let me know what you need from me today to get you started...I'll have my check in the mail to you when you say "go".

Hope you had a great Christmas!

25. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Verell,
    Here is my Varishock info, as it appeared on my receipt:

VAS 11122-515
    5.15 travl poly, urethane ends,
    1/2 bore x 1 1/4 wide, 16.10" extended length

VAS 11122-615
    6.15 travl poly, urethane ends,
    1/2 bore x 1 1/4 wide, 18.10" extended length

Chris Alston's Chassisworks
    (916) 388-0288
    fax (916) 388-0295
    www.varishock.com

Thanks Verell. Let me know how much you need down...

Greg
    1977 308 GTB USA