360Stradale 6-speed manual conversion | Page 22 | FerrariChat

360Stradale 6-speed manual conversion

Discussion in '360/430' started by alberto, Jul 11, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    Good job! Can't wait for mine to arrive.

2. ttdang123

ttdang123 Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2009
    North San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Tung
    Trev

Very nice. Do you know or have the font file for the word "FERRARI" as well?

Thanks

3. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    #528 360trev, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    That's all over the web and has been for years.
    Google 'Ferro Rosso'...

Here's the first one that came up..
    http://www.dafont.com/ferro-rosso.font

I've also done a few other fonts from the range too if others are interested.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

So it's not a decal at all then :)

Sounds like a fairly time consuming excercise.

5. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    #530 360trev, Feb 14, 2012
    Here's a slightly different ferro rosso font. I've called it 'Ferro Rosso Carbon'. Its supposed to be much much closer to the variation used on the ccm calipers than Ferro Rosso thus more suitable for this purpose. Its 16% scaled on the y for starters. Look closer and you'll see every letter is slightly different. Now much closer to original ;)

6. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Yes and yes. It gives a perfect factory finish if you get very good fonts to begin with though.

7. ttdang123

ttdang123 Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2009
    North San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Tung
    Thank you gentlemen for the Ferrari fonts.

8. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Trev

As usual fantastic work.

When I did my CCM Calipers yellow, I also wanted the 'Brembo Carbon Ceramic' logo added, after speaking to several people no one could cut the vinyl that small or get the font right. I gave up in the end and just stuck with the 'Ferrari' standard logo.

I just used the heat proof vinyl stickers over my painted calipers and was dubious if they would last and look good, to be fair that was about 18 months ago now as they still look the same as the day I installed them, also used them on my wifes 'Porsche' Calipers. However given the choice I would definatly go your route and have the painted original finish to be perfect.

One thing I found was that the Laquer (which was the correct Caliper heat proof type) still gave an 'Orange Peel' effect even after the paint had been baked dry and applied correctly.

9. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I am not sure why it is hard to get good decals made over your side of the pond. I have had many done myself here. I either provide an example to be scanned and copied, or I give them a high definition
    digital photo and they use that. On occasion the original is damaged and they copy it and fix it using ( I assume) Photoshop. The result is perfect every time.

I'll post some examples later if anyone is interested.

10. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Hey Scott,

Shame that you had so much hassle with getting the Brembo Carbon Ceramic lettering done as it does look excellent.

I am guessing the biggest hurdle for them was that they would have had to have first made a font or got a high def photo (flat on) which they could trace to make a design. They probably felt it was too much effort and time required for the price they would have to quote you for making it so it wasn't worth their while. Having these fonts makes it much much easier since they are TrueType format and can be scaled up which makes it much much easier to accomplish than before.

On the cutting size/issue, a typical small business type machine is a Roland CAMM-1 Servo GX-24, about £600-£900 as a used buy now from ebay and its mechanical cutting resolution is 1.25mm per step! Even in the bundled software (where its let down a bit) its still provides a 2.5mm cutting step. I'm guessing with pro software you can achieve the full mechanical accuracy. The cheapo end of the market machines (costing about £200) can do 3mm per step resolution so perhaps that's where the problem lies!?

11. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Sounds like your companies are more 'pro' than many of the cottage industries which are used in the UK which have very low start up costs and then sell stickers very low prices using cheapo machines and pre-made vector design's bundled on a cd which came with the machine they bought from ebay!

12. SimonSays

SimonSays Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Trev
    Aren't the new brakes heavier than the smaller setup?
    I'm not sure you'll get better braking performance, though you might get better endurance, even though that's why CCMs were invented... You might have improvement in brake feel / dosage with the bigger surface though...

Interested to hear your thoughts on the matter :)

13. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

There are a number of places that can do it as well. They generally have a minimum order cost to make it economically viable. So it can cost you $100 for one sticker or a dozen.

14. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    I thought about this too but the weight difference isn't as much as you'd imagine because the extra 18mm of extra disc surface is mainly CCM material. It would be an entirely different story for steel.

On the calipers front I weighed the new 430 Challenge aluminum calipers and there was virtually nothing in it between them and the Stradale/F430 ones, especially when the racing brakes use a lighter fitting arrangement/kit than the long steel bolts used on the CS ones. Plus I have already saved 1.2kg's per disc of unsprung weight by moving to the Challenge center lock center bells and this more than offsets the weight of the larger CCM donuts which isn't actually all that much. I'll weight the difference.

There are extra benefits too since the pad surface is much larger on the Scud brakes so not only is there a benefit of 2cm's worth of disc but also wider spread of frictional surface area facing the disc. In combination with the wider tires (allowing more grip) the overall the benefits of 10-15% extra stopping distance out weight (excuse the pun) the minimal extra weight.

15. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Here's the weight of the standard CS brakes.

Front:
    CS Brembo Front 6-pot CCM caliper with pads: 5.94kg
    CS Brembo Front 380mm CCM disc with centre bell: 6.77kg
    Total 12.71kg Front brakes (per side)

Rear:
    CS Brembo Rear 4-pot CCM caliper with pads: 4.72kg
    CS Brembo Rear 1-pot Handbrake caliper with pads: 2.06kg
    CS Brembo Rear 350mm CCM disc with centre bell: 5.86kg
    Total 12.64kg Rear brakes per side

Total Front (pair): 25.42kg
    Total Rear (pair): 25.28kg

Total Front & Rear: 50.70kg

Ferrari kept the weight pretty damn close front to rear despite the rear ccm discs being 350mm vs 380mm (the handbrake calipers even everything out).

16. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    #541 360trev, Feb 15, 2012
    Here's the pics of the standard Challenge Stradale brakes.

Of note. The standard fixing kit for the center bells is 2.24kg's which includes a 1.85kg heavy steel center bell. The racing cars (F430 Challenge brakes) use much much lighter center bells which are a mere 0.6kg. (saving 1.25kgs PER DISC of unsprung weight) - you cannot swap them over though unless you convert your car to center lock conversion (see the separate thread on that) since the diameter of the hole for the center lock and 5 stud hubs is different by a few mm.

17. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    #542 360trev, Feb 15, 2012
    Here's a pic of Mark's old CS (Radders from Club Scuderia) on which he converted his CS to run on Scud's/430 Challenge big brakes. Mark claims had custom center bells made up so he could have them fitted to his cs - personally don't know why he didn't just swap over his original bells from his CS discs - that would have worked just fine! Anyway I hope he doesn't mind me using his photo. Hi Mark!

As you can see not much clearance of the caliper to stock CS rims ;). Just a few mm's clearance in fact which means stones and road debris can easily get trapped and scrape the inside edge of the rim which I can imagine must also happen on the Scud too.

18. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    #543 360trev, Feb 24, 2012
  19. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    #544 360trev, Mar 18, 2012
    I'll come back to the caliper refresh again soon but for now I'll discuss the latest in my quest to setup the car for fast road and track usage.

There are a LOT of threads asking about geometry for the 360/430/CS/Scuderia in this area so I've compiled all the information into 1 sheet and done some comparative analysis on it. This allowed me to go with a modified spec. It also revealed some very interesting information.

Performify and ihavearedferrari like this.
  20. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    #545 360trev, Mar 18, 2012
    I' attached the sheet (Microsoft Excel) for people to do their own research from. Great prep for going to a Geo shop...

Hope its of help/use. Its been very informative for me and compares all the 360/430 models along side each over. So you can easily and visually see the differences in setup at a glance....

Enjoy...

Performify likes this.
  21. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    #546 360trev, Mar 18, 2012
    Went over to BlackBoots to get my car setup.

Here's my current geo setup. Since I am about to do a big European trip to Italy (from UK) so didn't go so aggressive on the setup of negative camber. Still fun though ;)

The original setup on the camber was all over the show after changing some components recently so glad I re-did it! Look at the old camber values! Horrible

22. voicey

voicey Formula 3

Jul 29, 2009
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Aldous Voice
    Hi Trev - I hope Tony and the boys at WIM looked after you... I wouldn't take my car anywhere else for geo.

23. KJM3SMG

KJM3SMG Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2006
    Loudoun County, VA
    Full Name:
    Karl - KJ
    simply amazing

24. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    Looks like you camber was setup for NASCAR.

-Great compilation of information!

25. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    They are good lads and most importantly know how to use their machinery. Sadly Tony wasn't there on the day (off sick) but I still got good treatment and they fitted me in the afternoon even though I only called that morning.

Its just a slight shame they don't have the corner weighting (e.g. Intercomp) scales to fully setup completely.