It appears Mondial prices are going up - or am I dreaming? | FerrariChat

It appears Mondial prices are going up - or am I dreaming?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Subito Grigio, May 6, 2024.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Subito Grigio

Subito Grigio Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2009
    ronfrohock likes this.
  2. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Definitely! Given a chance to outshine their reputation on the internet, these are fantastic cars! I've never had anybody that saw mine in person that didn't say anything but beautiful!
    Alden

ronfrohock likes this.
  3. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    I’ll believe it when I see it. If I ever sold mine they would go up 100 grand immediately.

ronfrohock likes this.
  4. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    They seem to go up and down. They are trending up which helps me to justify the major that is currently underway to my wife. :)

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

decampos and Alden like this.
  5. FamilyCar

FamilyCar Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Peter Goodall
    I am having my first major done, rather than doing it myself. The engine out has allowed all sorts of issues to be found, such as multiple broken welds in the rear subframe. Tell your wife it's a safety issue. The level of disassembly and inspection is quite surprising--much more than just belts. You've had the car long enough that it is justified. My wife agreed to it, perhaps that will be leverage...

ronfrohock likes this.
  6. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    @FamilyCar

Where are you getting your car serviced? I’ve heard that there are a couple of recommended garages in WA state (I’m also in the Pacific NW, Portland to be exact, so I’m curious). Any leads/thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

Temple

7. Subito Grigio

Subito Grigio Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2009
    David Geary (Deer Park/Spokane) recently worked on my car. I’m very happy and I plan to ask him to do a defined “Major” next year.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. Mfoncerrada

Mfoncerrada Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2009
    Monterey, CA
    Full Name:
    Miguel Foncerrada
    They do seem to be trending up a little bit. Good! It's time for me to sell as I no longer have the time to use it and properly maintain it.
    Here is a graph from BAT

Attached Files:

9. FamilyCar

FamilyCar Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Peter Goodall
    I'll send you an update when it's over. So far it's going great but until it's done...

He sends some photos every day and a status update. It is supposed to be complete by the end of this week and he is actually tracking on that schedule, which is something I would never expect. I did look in the Seattle section for recommendations, which was mostly a list of who not to use. Much of it was quite old as well. This guy got raves, which he seemed a bit surprised about.

I've done my own belt services since getting the car but there were several things I just couldn't do with the engine in the car, which I have no means of removing. This time it made a lot of sense to pull it and get to the odd bits I couldn't reach.

This is arguably a belt change - plus, but plus a lot.

10. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    What’s are you guys paying for a major nowadays? My guy said it would be about $9 ish.

Swindon_Mick likes this.
  11. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
  12. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Ron, your water pump is VERY expensive.
    Why are you gettjng it done by a dealer ?
    Personally I think this can be done for half that quote.

13. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    And I thought the fluids was expensive!
    I opted to pass on the water pump and fluids and stick with the belts and ac.

I can do the fluids myself and the water pump has about 5 k miles on it and it is the one with the upgraded impeller. I think it’s fine.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. FamilyCar

FamilyCar Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Peter Goodall
    Now I'm afraid to say what I'm spending. My work includes the belt change, but I also had a list of other items that I either couldn't do or would never get the time to. Some of these I got parts for but didn't have the time to fight with it. Pulling the engine makes much of it pretty simple.

In addition to the list I had, the shop did a thorough inspection including compression tests and whether the A/C would pull and hold a vacuum, although i is currently R-12 and needs a recharge. The inspection did turn up some things I wasn't aware of, so what I'm really curious about is how the final costs compare.Hopefully I know the "while we're in there" costs before we started.

The short list of my asks:
    1. Replace shift shaft seal between oil sump and transmission
    2. Replace injectors and seals (I had the parts but felt I couldn't get to the front bank well enough to do it. This also includes adjust mix in each cylinder at fuel distributor)
    3. Replace fuel lines on injection side, such as the black plastic ones. (I had parts)
    4. Replace accumulator (I had parts)
    5. Get A/C working. This will be a R-134 conversion. (I have most of the parts, such as the dryer)
    6. Belt Service. This includes Hill tensioner bearings and all the usual bits plus the water pump)

Other adds based on inspection:
    1. Replace all engine seals (Cam, crank, etc)
    2. Replace bushings on alternator, clean alternator (damaged by oil leak from cam)
    3. Epoxy coat sump pans and replace gaskets
    4. Replace fuel fill neck and crossover line. Also fuel lines behind heat shield that I couldn't reach (the last ask was mine)
    5. Replace various coolant and vacuum lines between intake runners and top of crank-case

Found items:
    1. Badly corroded fitting on cast aluminum components of cooling system.
    2. (3) cracks in subframe assembly, including one that was an actual break. I had a bad crack in the frame welded last summer at a well known local shop that we discovered while doing an oil change. Seattle has crappy road maintenance is all I can think..
    3. Cross threaded fill plug on transmission

Other items done as part of engine out service:
    1. Flush and bleed brakes
    2. Flush and bleed clutch, adjust clutch

Things I asked for but am not doing to keep costs down:
    1. Poor parking brake function. The drums are gouged up, but it is free to not park on steep hills.
    2. Replace long cooling lines to front of car.

One item of note is that the guy doing the service said that some 3.2 engines have plastic spiders on the cam drive gears and that they are beginning to fail with age. My car did not have these, so no work was required.

There are various adds or discounts, such as paying cash (bills) versus credit cards. Since I'm paying with bills, this scope is running about $14.5K although I don't know the adds for the frame welding and cooling system fittings.

moysiuan likes this.