Harley Davidson Question | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Harley Davidson Question

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by mikesufka, Oct 21, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

This is what happens when MBAs run a company but have no clue as to the product. Im sure it looked great in some nitwits presentation.

2. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I'm not sure that selling an entry-level bike in China, that's made in China, is such a dumb idea (and in the Chinese market, that 500 isn't even an entry-level bike). It extends the brand and builds volume, most likely very profitably.

Now, if they tried to import that bike into the US and sell it here, yes, that would be dumb and negative for the brand. Maybe they will do that, not sure, but so far that isn't what they have done.

3. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Finally !!!! First ride of the year and the first ride on my new RoadGlide - did a 100 mile trip from Crosslake, MN, to St. Cloud, MN.

Beautiful day and beautiful roads …

Image Unavailable, Please Login

donv, kestrou and stretchgeneral like this.
  4. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
  5. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    NYC Fred likes this.
  6. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Thanks !

MDS

7. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

I just picked up the 2023 CVO 120th anniversary. I had determined that with the direction the motor company was going, I would not get another Harley. Last few years I went the Indian route. I still had my 2015 Road Glide. But found myself always riding one of the Indians. When I happed in the dealer and saw this one, I traded in the 2015 Road Glide. I still have Indians, plus a ‘47 Indian Chief. I guess I go both ways!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

8. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Kinda humorous comment from Moto Mag

What Went Wrong at Harley-Davidson?

I predicted H-D’s demise about 6 or 7 years ago, in my Woes Series. The news from Harley hasn’t been good for years. Like other brands, they did get a quick bump during the pandemic, but I knew that wouldn’t last. Their attempts at electrification have severely backfired, as the number of Livewires sold in a year can fit in one small motorcycle dealership.

H-D is a Visually Impaired Person, being Guided by a Blind Dog

What happened? I’ll make this as simple as possible. Harley-Davidson is a lifestyle company that also makes motorcycles. With the H-D lifestyle no longer relevant, their motorcycle division is crash landing hard. I say it again, there is no shame with gradually shutting down this once venerable brand with dignity and grace, but they won’t do that until the brand is fully denigrated. As long as the brand is alive, high executive salaries will roll.

NYC Fred likes this.
  9. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I ran into a group of younger guys, early 30's or so who all had the new Harley adventure bike on a recent trip up to Park City. Real enthusiastic young Harley guys. Their bikes had the **** ridden out them and all had been equipped for their likes and needs for cross country riding. I spent an hour talking with them asking about their bikes but also talking about the rest the product line. Harley needs some younger blood in the board room. They loved the brand, they loved the history but they don't love Grandpas Harley. There are plenty of younger people who would happily wear the bar and shield logo but the motorcycles need to be made for them. They loved my idea of building a new line up around the new engine. Harley needs to quit living in 1970.

Texas Forever likes this.
  10. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Right on. Frankly, I fear in a few years, the same may be said of Ferrari. Ignoring younger customers is not a good business plan.

11. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Well, at least in their clothing line they are aiming at younger cuustomers ........ or maybe pimps! :D

[​IMG]

Texas Forever and stretchgeneral like this.
  12. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    The Harley PanAmerica is a great bike, full stop. I have two friends with them, and I have seen those bikes do some things that were just amazing. So they can still build a great product.

Incidentally, both of my friends with them are mid-50s, and own traditional Harleys as well.

Texas Forever and Rifledriver like this.
  13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    None of that surprises me but what I found encouraging was it was a group of out of the ordinary Harley riders who were all very enthusiastic about the only modern product Harley has made in decades. Gives me some hope about the brand If the board can ever quit being stupid.

14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have been working in Ferrari dealers since 1979. There are more young buyers now than in that entire time. Back then our typical client was 50+.

donv and Texas Forever like this.
  15. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Good

16. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Loving the new “Glide” …. Put on 200 miles on Thursday - handles great ( compared to my other rigs ) and cruises at 70 mph at 2600 RPM effortlessly …. When I fill the tank I’ll report on gas mileage :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Good times, we just got back from Death Valley with a bunch of friends. We stopped by Las Vegas Harley and looked at the 2024 CVO. Very nice, just not $55,000 nice.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

18. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Circling back - loving bike - just checked gas mileage …. 44.27 mpg

I was surprised with that big Stage III motor in there - that was cruising back roads - say 50-70 mph

MDS

stretchgeneral and Texas Forever like this.
  19. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    Harley’s not going anywhere. It can take a lifetime to appreciate “old school”. Some never do.

20. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    There is old school and then there is just plain backwards. They can keep a few classic models but for the motor company to survive they need to get out of the Victorian era. They have shown they can do it. They just need a board with the balls to make a decision.
    If they do not they will go back to the marginalized, constantly on the bring of bankruptcy they were at during the AMF years. Then they had large police bike orders to keep the lights on. They can't count on that anymore.

21. Island Time

Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    You may be right. Not sure it would surprise if you were but…

You’re talking to a guy who has a 1966 911 as his daily driver. 40k miles in 5 years. My yacht had provenance. It was built in ‘77. Began driving Heritage Classics 20 years ago. Been over most of Norrth America on it. I’m 66 years old.

One customer can’t keep them afloat. And I understand I’m an outlier. I just have to believe they’ll always be manufacturers willing to cater to the Island Times of the world.

22. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I'm older than you. I fell in love with Electra Glides when I was 12. Couldn't imagine anything better than seeing America on the back of one.
    Porsche cant stay in business selling air cooled 911's. They figured that out. People who fell in love with Electra Glides 56 years ago are not buying a lot of new motorcycles. Harley desperately needs to figure that out. I love America, I love American products and American industry and Americans having good paying jobs making products the world wants and an ever smaller number of them want the museum pieces the Motor Company is building and thats a shame because it doesn't need to be that way.

23. Island Time

Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    Well said with good points. Change is essential to relevancy.

24. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    All you have to do is look at Triumph, though. They make Bonnevilles and Thruxtons for you, and they make modern bikes for the rest of us. And they seem to do very well with both.

25. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Perfect example.