296 VS | Page 20 | FerrariChat

296 VS

Discussion in '296' started by ajr550, Jun 5, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KZEVO

KZEVO Karting

Jul 25, 2021
    Ferrari was seen testing the STO a couple years back. @day355 made a comment back in 2022 (need to find that post) that alluded that ferrari was developing an answer to the STO. Not sure what happened or if and when we may start to hear rumors. My point of view - Ferrari clearly have a clientele that will buy a non hybrid NA car. Make one and sell it and don’t make it Icona or limited number. Make it a special series like a speciale or pista. please make one. Corvette did it with z06 amd lambo continued it with their v10. Porsche still continues with their NA 6 in gt3/rs. There will be enough demand…there are folks that do not care about 800 plus hp. I just want a lighter weight, NA high revving Ferrari. I repect the fact they have to make 800 plus ho cars. Thats fine and let the folks who want those get them.

ajr550, rpmtifosi and Maximus1973 like this.
  2. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    That would be of course a car we over here at this forum all want; but do we represent the typical buyer.... not sure.
    Of course, I'll line up to get one for sure.
    However develloping a fully new NA engine is just not something Ferrari would do. They have a V6, V8 and V12 right now in various specs.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  3. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Remember Enzo's edict: Ferraris are all about the engine and the performance. He was so adamant that the "lowly" Dino didn't get a Ferrari badge. A lower performing Ferrari is not what the founder would have liked and it's not what Ferrari would do today.

4. KZEVO

KZEVO Karting

Jul 25, 2021
    i hear you. I hope there is at least a non-hybrid version. Until then i will focus on searching for a speciale with the right mileage that i can drive vs a garage queen.

5. KZEVO

KZEVO Karting

Jul 25, 2021
    I would argue in the world of vacuum cleaners, hybrids, a NA high revving motor will meet Enzo’s standards. The v12 does and its glorious. But the ferrari v8 were amazing too.

Maximus1973 likes this.
  6. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Enzo was all about power. According to Pierop, his dad would have embraced even pure electrics, if that meant winning. I am all for the N/A V12, the king of engines, but that's dependant on it being the best performing engine around.

7. rg88

rg88 Karting

Feb 10, 2024
    Montecito
    Full Name:
    rg
    Signore Enzo didn't become who he was by confining his thinking in a box.

8. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    It’s a different world today, they have to comply with a lot of things. Remember a special version implies it’s the same car, just a bit more special in some ways.

Sure it would be so cool to have a high revving NA engine, less weight, and make it stick shift too, and since we are going for the wish list, can I get more physical controls and a physical tachometer?

But- in a world where Ferrari is selling a grater number of cars, no longer a small volume manufacturer, things like fuel economy and emissions matter.

On my 296 window sticker I was astounded to discover it would get 49 MPG* (yes with a little “e” affixed to it). I doubt the F8 can do that. Also when SF90 came out, I checked the emissions and discovered, despite the V8 making more power, the system together was rated at about ½ the emissions. The lesson was clear to me- the way to get more power, and less emissions, is to go hybrid. At least for the tests- which is what matters when you are selling cars.

So, unless they would make a tiny number of VS, why would they risk affecting their status?

And why would they make a tiny number of VS when they can make many?

It’s clear from their marketing program, if you want the NA engine, thats the V12, and thats at the top, which is just how Enzo said it. So I guess not much has changed, except it’s a lot more involved now.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

CinciOptics likes this.
  9. rg88

rg88 Karting

Feb 10, 2024
    Montecito
    Full Name:
    rg
    FWIW, I was told by an insider that in addition to Sig. Piero, many other high ranking individuals drive the Purosangue with the V12. For me the Piccolo V12 is just fine.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  10. Forza Scuderia

Forza Scuderia Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2015
    People should stop speculating about NA 296 VS.

The 296 VS is going to be hybrid. Period. The end.

LMH, 09Scuderia, Dino_Argento and 3 others like this.
  11. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Let's throw in a hand crank starter then.

DQSF, LVP488 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  12. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Ha! That probably goes a little too far for me!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

REALZEUS likes this.
  13. ferrariguyf12

ferrariguyf12 Rookie

Aug 20, 2021
    Full Name:
    ferrariguyf12
  14. KL runner

KL runner Karting

Jul 25, 2023
    Not in US
    Note the EV sticker on the side .

Caeruleus11 and F2003-GA like this.
  15. 9nb

9nb Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2012
    Ferrari is about to launch F167 so obviously they needed to show something to fuel speculation, rumors and discussions on FerrariChat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  16. jordanfsl

jordanfsl Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2010
    Los Angeles
    This is what it obviously is going to be, but people love to think otherwise for some reason. Best we can hope for is more aggressive aero, maybe a tad less weight, and probably a 30-40hp gain.

Forza Scuderia likes this.
  17. 008

008 Karting

Jun 6, 2006
    Houston, TX
    What are they even camouflaging in the above? It just looks like a 296. They may be testing parts but what’s the camo hiding here?

18. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The VS is going to be epic.

uhn2000, LMH and Ivan Drago like this.
  19. 9nb

9nb Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2012
    Only the front hood seems to be different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Ivan Drago

Ivan Drago Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2021
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Ivan Drago
    Or is that all you see because the camouflage is so good? :p

21. Forza Scuderia

Forza Scuderia Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2015
    I believe that despite relatively mild spy shots seen above, the aero on this car is going to be highly aggressive.

9nb likes this.
  22. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Agreed! A few suggestions here and there by those in the know, my gut feeling is its being unveiled well before the end of the year as the 2nd car of 3 for 2024. Remember the 296 GTB was launch June 2021 - its time for the VS version.

23. Techman

Techman Karting

Dec 9, 2003
    I don't think the 296 VS will be announced this year. The three cars for 2024 are likely:

12 Cilindri
    12 Cilindri Spider
    LaF successor

willcrook and 9nb like this.