F355 Market | Page 547 | FerrariChat

F355 Market

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robb, May 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    Forgot about that article. Paul Frame’s ex-car, I believe.

Agree on steering wheel and silver adapter. I have both of those on an early-ish 95 355 Ch. Steering wheel is stamped 0x-94. Silver/Aluminum adapter is functionally great.

Also agree on one seat. Saw more than a few like that in-period. Also saw some with different branded seat i.e. Momo (larger size/proportion for bigger drivers?…compared to OMP Ch IIRC) on driver side and smaller Challenge seat on passenger side.

308 GTB and ShineKen like this.
  2. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    That’s the one for me!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShineKen likes this.
  3. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    308 GTB likes this.
  4. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I'll be interested to hear your thoughts...

I think I've said that a road legal challenge is the ultimate 355...and looks like the market agrees. $164k for a fairly rough one? If that's a road GTS in that condition I'd say it's maybe $100k. That's a $60k premium....But man, even ignoring the cosmetics, it's missing a lot of stuff still. No shock actuators? Aftermarket engine management? Most of the factory dash gauges gone? Center console gone? No clutch cooling duct? I'd want all of that stuff in it along with the correct center console and dash waterfall. Granted, a lot are not challenge specific parts, but still. I doubt much weight saved with that metal fabricated stuff, so I wonder why it was replaced? I don't really care about the seats, they're racing seats and originals would be expired anyway, but the rest loses the Ferrari charm and in the place you see the most when you're in it.

I have the same springs and tires on my car and it really rides well, but I have working active dampers and it's a bit on the stiff side in sport mode. Who knows what those shocks are doing without actuators, I don't think they hold their setting when nothing is on them so they could all be different or on full hard or soft (which the ecu never sets them to iirc).

That said, probably a fair deal for a road legal Ferrari race car with history, they just don't make them anymore and probably never will again.

308 GTB likes this.
  5. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    To own this car for novelty? sure. To drive this particular car on the street regularly as is? Not for me. This one had a bit too much going on.

If one is not located in CA, I would expand my search to cars from abroad.

The result was higher than what I expected.

6. Kruegmeister

Kruegmeister Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 24, 2016
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Kruegmeister
    Paul, I was wrong. It's for Historical & is10 years, not 5.
    Historicals are now White with Blue instead of Turd Brown at least.
    But you are right, Authentic is good until the Vehicle is Sold

PaulK likes this.
  7. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    #13657 ShineKen, Apr 26, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
    https://www.instagram.com/p/C5uDuD2xGvV/?igsh=NjZiM2M3MzIxNA==

“This is a 95 build and one of the original 20 or so that came into the U.S titled.”

Not according to the Carfax.

CarFax shows first title issued: 10/18/04

Implying a bonded title was obtained.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Here are 2 examples of “converted” or “non pre-arranged” 355 Challenge cars with titles issued in 95.

98764 - FNA Challenge Car (#2). Purchased on a lease by FNA CEO at the time.

Title Issued: 11/17/94 - this should be the earliest U.S 355 title issued.

Notice it actually passes CA emissions and inspection.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    When are we going to get back to price discussions… :D:eek::eek::D

Wsmatau and 355dreamer like this.
  10. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  11. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    355 Challenge prices are about to get shaken up soon :).

12. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  13. sfcarguy

sfcarguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 9, 2018
    Earth
    Technically any F355 with a street legal US vin that retains all of the emissions equipment and has the proper stickers can pass the test regardless of whether it was originally titled or not

IvanRico likes this.
  14. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  15. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    If it’s “street legal” that implies it already passed.

My point is 355’s that came in as a standard road car are obviously going to pass CA’s strict emissions and safety standards with ease.

However, if the car was brought in as a “factory built race car”, which never met emissions or safety standards, CA won’t make it easy. Sure, one can put on the emissions stuff and pass, but vehicle safety is a WHOLE other ball game. Everything important on the car needs to be DOT approved.

I’ve worked with Motorex on a few things when they were bringing Nissan GTR Skyline R33’s and R34’s to be “street legal” in CA. Because the cars were never DOT approved, they needed to develop DOT approved components to meet standards AND they had to crash 2 of each to demonstrate effectiveness.

Till this day, any R34 GT-R, which was not sold by Motorex will end up in the crusher. A few already have. CA is no joke when it comes to letting a car in, which hasn’t been proven on a federal level to meet safety requirements. Other states, not so much. One could probably “street-legalize” an 430 Challenge car in any other state.

A “factory built challenge” is going to raise red flags in CA for street use as it is a version of a 355 never sold/crash tested in the U.S. On the other hand, an early title as a road going car helps muddy the waters enough where it comes off as a modified street car because it met all regulations the year it arrived.

When an inspector looks at a “1995” car and sees the first record of a title in “2004” he already knows something is up.

16. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    To my eyes, the 95 challenge cars that arrived without a title are at best 49 state street legal. If they can obtain a CA title/registration, I’ll recognize them as 50 state street legal.

17. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Fun Fact:

Famous World Tour F355 Berlinetta… they specifically chose a U.S Spec car with CA plates just so they can use a car that passed CA standards.

CA is the gold standard when it comes to emissions and safety requirements.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. sfcarguy

sfcarguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 9, 2018
    Earth
    That’s exactly my point, Ken. Any DOT approved new 50 state import can pass CA emissions.

Smog stations couldn’t care less about whether the car was sold new on MSO/BoS or titled. As long as it passes visual and the sniff they’ll pass it. It not like they’re looking at the carfax anyways. The CARB computers that the smog stations have access to only have data from other Smog stations, not the DMV or the DOT.

Smog stations couldn’t care less if you have the required safety devices. That’s not their problem. CHP, however, would definitely cite you if pulled over.

19. sfcarguy

sfcarguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 9, 2018
    Earth
    The Swiss are pretty strict too.

As far as I know CA has no safety requirements or testing beyond DOT.

20. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I understand your point.

My point is a 355 Challenge car built from the factory is far from DOT approved to CA’s eyes because it isn’t a version of a 355 that was ever DOT approved. You have to make it DOT approved. There’s a long list to check off.

A road going Berlinetta is DOT approved, so when they see a 355 challenge car, they’re simply going to assume it’s just a modified Berlinetta and pass it thru with less scrutiny.

21. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Smog and emissions is one thing.

The red flags will be raised at the DMV when one is trying to title the car. One would be relying on luck hoping they don’t figure it out.

22. sfcarguy

sfcarguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 9, 2018
    Earth
    Right. I would bet on being able to register a converted car in CA. Factory built car, not so much. Any other state with no emissions or safety? Probably.

23. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    The GTR’s “passed” emissions. Owners drove around CA with a title/registration. Once the state figured out what was going on, they deemed the cars unlawful, sought after the cars and crushed them. Only the ones that went thru Motorex were allowed to survive.

24. sfcarguy

sfcarguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 9, 2018
    Earth
    #13674 sfcarguy, Apr 26, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
    As long as the car came into the country legally for street use there shouldn’t be any red flags. The decision to title when new or not was up to dealer and their respective states when it came to converted cars. If it’s a street car VIN they won’t notice whether it was titled new or not. You will need to have a current title. They definitely won’t issue a title off of MSO for a street car without a lot of hoops and they would notice the lack of safety equipment when inspected.

Those GTRs never passed DOT requirements or were eligible to be certified for sale in CA like a converted 355 challenge would’ve been before the kit was installed.

Many of those GTR owners paid off the smog stations to pass them too…

25. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I believe @SoCal1 has both of his converted cars with CA titles.

Outside of CA, none of what I’m saying matters.