Patek Philippe - the basics of building a great collection | Page 49 | FerrariChat

Patek Philippe - the basics of building a great collection

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by roma1280, May 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Roma,
    I have to say I truly appreciate your posts and agree with you completely.
    I would love to have the opportunity to meet you someday, if you ever travel to Boston.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

roma1280 likes this.
  2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I have this watch. To spice it up- go to www.camillefournet.com. They make the straps for Patek and you can order as many custom straps as you want. 300-500 bucks each depending on material. You will need to order 21mm at the lug and 18mm at the buckle. I have 8 different colored straps for this watch now.

originally I ordered 4 patek gold deployant straps at $5000 each but now I just get the $30 gold buckle and call it a day.

swapping straps is a 30 second exercise but it makes it a ton of fun: I have a bunch of straps for my other Pateks as well so it keeps things fresh.

congrats on a gorgeous piece.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Shark01, ronfrohock, roma1280 and 5 others like this.
  3. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Roma, I like the explanation.

Edward, I'm worse - I like vintage cars and vintage watches. Roma is discussing a Patek minute repeater, I'm enjoying mine. That said, I bought it used - I'm it's third owner. It still chimes 12:59 when I pull it at 12:59 but I don't think it gets done chiming until its 1:00... :^)

I also like the old stuff more because it was made old school - no CNC - just really skilled artisan watchmakers. My grail watches would probably make most on here go 'huh?'

For example, to me owning, or even holding a watch made by I.K. Brunel while under the apprenticeship of A.L. Breguet; having the master looking over his shoulder to make sure his apprentice did it right is much more interesting than anything produced now, even the super complications.

Another would be a watch by F. Czapek - depending on your interpretation, the man who could be considered Patek Philippe's first watchmaker - what's funny is this purchase would probably be less costly than most of the watches posted here.

None of these are practical, but neither is a Ferrari (new or old). If you want practical, get a new Tesla, a used Toyota, an Apple watch, a Timex or a Casio.

Regards,

Art S.

roma1280 likes this.
  4. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Sometimes when I get a new watch it is love at first sight from the second I first put it on the wrist. Sometimes however I buy a watch because I like the design, the face, the colors, the complications yet somehow I don’t love it at first. The 5905p was in this category. It has handsome proportions, 42mm across and 14mm high. The platinum feels cold and dense to the touch, the watch feels substantial on the wrist. I bought a platinum deployant clasp as the watch came with a buckle. I love the side profile of the case with its concave bezel, the polished square pushers for the fly-back chronograph, the deep blue dial, the annual calendar with the three windows, the beautiful movement on display through the sapphire back, the subtle day/night indicator in the sub dial. This wasn’t love at first sight, but I’m in love now.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Cigarzman, Xrayv8, ronfrohock and 2 others like this.
  5. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    when I got my 5270, I actually sold my platinum 5905 and got the steel. It’s a great piece. Congrats.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Cigarzman, roma1280, Xrayv8 and 2 others like this.
  6. poljav

poljav F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Pol J.
  7. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
  8. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
  9. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    roma1280 likes this.
  10. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I'll be honest- of all the watches out there from all the companies- I think for a casual daily wear- this white gold blue colored 5968 is probably the best out there. Congrats on a gorgeous piece

roma1280 likes this.
  11. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    No, I am indeed a lesser person…..get reminded of that quite often.

I love the cars you guys drive, the watches you wear, and the Instagram models you date.

12. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Really like the style and colors of these straps…..I guess you would have to pick out watch face colors with this in mind.

roma1280 likes this.