Fire these drivers now | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Fire these drivers now

Discussion in 'F1' started by Drive550PFB, Apr 23, 2024.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    I'll have a listen, thank you. I try to get to an F1 circuit about every other year or so, my last was Hungary in 2023. The value is fading and it's slightly embarrassing that Porsche Super Cup and GP2 cars are more stirring to the senses. There are other ways to reach net zero than to overcharge patrons for listening to Dyson's on Sunday afternoon.

2. cmargosi

cmargosi Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2024
    Maybe we all just wish our dad could (or would) buy us a F1 team! LOL. I can tell you, being a racer myself, that nothing those guys do is easy and it's easy to discount Lance's skills, but look at Mazepin whose father also bought him a seat. Mazepin had some success on lower levels but couldn't even keep the car on the track. So, while I agree that Lance might not be the best, to do what he does is some serious skill. Even if these aren't the 20 best drivers in the world (discounting the fact that many may have more skill but no the resources to develop them and get to the top), there aren't more than a couple hundred people in the WORLD that can drive a car like he does. I think about what the top few hundred people in the world in my business can do and I am appropriately humbled.

william likes this.
  3. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

SuperCup is the highlight of any F1 weekend. When at the circuit I always watch them. Best racing on the planet.

Nuvolari likes this.
  4. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Honestly I’d say that fewer than 50% of the grid should be in F1. The driver roster is dominated by mediocrity in my opinion. I don’t understand why mediocrities or worn out retreads aren’t replaced more regularly. God knows there’s a lot of talent trying to get into F1, yet the teams continue to keep the never-weres, never-will-bes and has-beens.

5. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Simple - Bil$ over-valued, not racing much, but obsessed with 'value' teams are utterly RISK AVERSE now. They all act like banks and funds not racing teams.

tritone and Jack-the-lad like this.
  6. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    It sure is interesting how Oliver Bearman is still in 12th place in the championship having only competed in 1 race!

How many other drivers deserve a place on the grid?

I will bet a Ruths Chris dinner he doesn't finish last this year...

Giallo 550 likes this.
  7. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Well Lance is 10th . . .

8. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

So you are OK with Stroll?

9. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Absolutely. Lewis needs to STFU.

And any chance I can get . . . Magnussen is the reason Guenther was fired. If Guenther haslet Mags go, he may still be at Haas.

10. Anthony_Ferrari

Anthony_Ferrari Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    I think Lance is a decent driver. In fact he's a very good driver. He isn't a top 10 driver though. Through his father's money he has had all the advantages possible - training in F1 cars before he entered F1 / having a team bought for him and filling the team with the best possible engineers and managers.
    The experiment that Lawrence Stroll has conducted with his son has failed though. He thought that with enough backing he could make his son a champion in F1, just as he'd achieved by using his money in the lower series. He has to soon realise that his son is slowing the team down. It'll be interesting to see what then happens. Will he send Lance to Sportscars and continue to create a mega F1 Team, or will he pack up and leave with his son?

I think that Lance was much more prepped for F1 than Mazepin was. I also think he probably has more talent.

The pressure on Lance to please Daddy must be almost unbearable. I'm reading Damon Hill's book at the moment and he says that after retiring he realised that his F1 career was an attempt to please his dead dad. I am not 100% convinced that Nico Rosberg enjoyed his time in F1 either.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  11. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Couldn't agree more.

william likes this.
  12. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Steiner did Mick a favor. He was about to hurt himself seriously in one of these accidents. He is much better off doing WEC or DTM.

13. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Father Stroll has said he's a brand builder, so doesn't it seem that he will sell Aston Martin and move on?

14. cmargosi

cmargosi Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2024
    I agree with this sentiment. Lawrence Stroll is trying to build Aston Martin into a global brand, much like he did with Michael Kors and other fashion brands. He has too much money in this just to get his son a seat, he thinks the car and brand can be something more. I agree....Will it ever be Ferrari, no. Can it be much more than it is, yes. And the DB12 is a superb automobile, if you haven't driven one, it's worth your time. The DB11 was "meh". The DB12 is amazing.

15. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Yes, Lance Stroll deserves to be in F1.

cmargosi and tifosi12 like this.
  16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Everybody "moves on" soon or later. ;)

Henri Ford, Enzo Ferrari, Colin Chapman, Tony Vanderwell, Ken Tyrrell, Ferrucio Lamborghini, they all moved on ...

TSchell likes this.
  17. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Yes, it was a pretty safe statement, wasn't it? I'm guessing it will be sooner. Guessing.
    Sent from my SM-A102U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

18. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Yuki is ok, not the worse, I say keep him around for another season or two.

On the other hand, fire the f' out of baby Stroller. Gawd he is awful. IDGAF that his dad is in charge. Classic example of the (American) football coach daddy making his son the QB and failing up and down the field season after season. Of course this will never happen because Lawrence is dense af. It's like dude, do want to win (score points) or not so much?!? Dumb af.

19. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Tell us how you really feel.:p

Yeah, I'm in agreement.

furmano likes this.
  20. Anthony_Ferrari

Anthony_Ferrari Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    Rude! (but true! ;))

furmano likes this.
  21. JWeiss

JWeiss F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2010
    NYC and Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    JWeiss
    I don’t know him, but I seriously doubt Lawrence is dumb. His priorities may be quite different than yours (mine, and many others’s), but that doesn’t make him a dope.

furmano, tifosi12 and stever like this.
  22. cmargosi

cmargosi Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2024
    I for one, if I could, would do the same thing for any of my children. Give them every chance they can to succeed. I have no doubt that Lance is dedicated to the sport (possibly even more so because he's trying to live up to his father's expectations). All you have to do is watch the Drive to Survive about his injury. I have no doubt the kid was in pain when driving.

I get it if you don't like the driver or even the guy, but I'd never call Lawrence Stroll dumb for trying to support his kids dream. Or for that matter, taking a brand with a lot of cache and trying to make it into something more. Let's face it, 007 doesn't drive a Ferrari...

tifosi12 likes this.
  23. cmargosi

cmargosi Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2024
    For the record, I would also argue that if Lawrence wants to win, with a car that can, firing Lance is the right move for the team.

furmano likes this.
  24. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

That wouldn't make any sense.
    Lawrence Stroll ended up buying a team to see his son race.
    So why should he be firing him now ?
    Aston Martin can still win races and even the championship WITH THE OTHER DRIVER !!

25. Zeus

Zeus Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2007
    Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    Lawrence
    You guys talk as if Lawrence Stroll owns Aston and unilaterally makes all decisions, including keeping Lance as one of its FI drivers. While Lawrence Stroll is executive chairman, the company is owned by multiple entitles. Stroll is part of a consortium which he assembled, which includes several other billionaire investors, that owns a little under 27% of the company. The next major percentage owners are a Saudi Arabian fund and a Chinese car company. These owners have seats on the board and input. There are several other owners like Mercedes and even Toto Wolf individually. Thus while he does wield considerable influence, and was responsible for putting Lance on the team, the decision to keep Lance in the seat is not entirely up to his dad.