Going from a 458 Spider to an SF90 | FerrariChat

Going from a 458 Spider to an SF90

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by F1Tony, Apr 22, 2024.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1Tony

F1Tony Rookie

Jan 25, 2011
    I'm looking at an SF90 now and wanted to know if there were any options at getting the sound/pitch of it's V8 as close/similar to the almost F1 sound of my 458 (IPE exhaust).

Any thoughts? What mods (exhaust, headers, etc) combo would you recommend?

2. If I were you, I would not be modding a 296.

3. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I think be very careful with trying to mod a SF90...doubt it could be made to sound like a 458.

4. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    Best way to get the sound to be anywhere close to the 458 is to keep the 458. Alternatively you could record the sound of the 458, put on some headphones and play it back while driving the SF90. So, in other words, unfortunately you won’t be able to replicate that sound.

5. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Options-
    1> Just keep the 458 Spider- I know- I own one

2> Personally, I wouldn't have an SF90 if they gave me one - but if for some reason that car attracts you then buy one- but modding it out will be expensive and domino problematic- They are problematic enough- <browse the forum>- Just drive it <if it's not "bricked"> the way it was made from the factory and enjoy - and make sure you have a relationship with your closest Ferrari Dealer.

:cool:

6. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    SF90 is sensational. Prefer it even to Speciale. Don’t care about the sound, which is plenty good enough. When you’re on it, you’re concentrating too hard to notice anyway!

Divexxtreme and F1RST like this.
  7. Fortis

Fortis Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    Fortis
    What a load of nonsense you speak.

Divexxtreme, Lagunae92 and LMP like this.
  8. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The OP asked for opinions- I provided mine- If you don't like it that's fine- we can agree to disagree- but he's never going to get an SF90 to sound like a 458 <Especially with aftermarket exhaust> So if you actually READ my post I provided opinion and advice- And if you spend some time you will see that all the hybrid-era Ferraris are somewhat "problematic" - there are currently multiple threads on "dead" 296s and SF90s- not to mention the embarrassing episode of Chasing Classic Cars where they had to auction off a La Ferrari from photos because the thing couldn't/wouldn't move- ie "bricked"

Bottom line is an SF90 in factory/OEM spec is a fantastic car- I personally don't like them but that's my opinion- Modding one out to sound like a 458 is a waste of time and money and will result in more problems than results.

As I already stated- you want an SF90 then buy it and enjoy it- but don't try to make into something different- SF90 and 458 are completely different generations- You want to try to get a 296 to sound like a 355?? Not gonna happen-

Cheers :cool:

9. Fortis

Fortis Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    Fortis
    The fact that a SF90 will never sound like a 458 is a given and wasn't the point of my comment I expected you to deduct that, you were speaking nonsense about the reliability of the SF90 quoting anecdotal evidence, misinforming potential future owners.

New model, extremely complex model, few bad apples bound to happen fully expected, I have 9,000 km on mine and have had zero issues with the car and I drive it the way it was meant to be driven.

10. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The OPs thread is about sound- not performance-

We all know the SF90 has incredible performance <assuming all the Duracells are charged and working> but the thread is about modding one to try to sound like a 458- which IMHO <and others> is a frustrating waste of time and money-

11. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Is yours OEM or modded? Have you spent time on the SF90 forum? I'm glad you've had great luck with yours- Many have not- :cool:

12. Fortis

Fortis Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    Fortis
    Great luck LOL. It's a shame you spread misinformation based on your bias. Have a nice life mate.

13. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
  14. Fortis

Fortis Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    Fortis
    How many bricked from how many deliveries? LOL

Claiming a car's reliability based on a once-in-a-blue-moon breakdown is like judging a chef's skills by the one time they burned toast - sure, it's memorable, but it's hardly a fair representation of their cooking ability!

Divexxtreme likes this.
  15. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    Playing devils advocate, how many threads are there with dead batteries on 488 or F8. How many people have 2 month old cars and their batteries died. There are plenty of posts about that and using your logic people should stay away from those cars as they are problematic. With that being said, the more advanced these cars get (SF90 and 296) the more problems can happen. Doesn’t mean they will but they can.

Divexxtreme likes this.
  16. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    I hate burned toast. lol.

Divexxtreme, Cigarzman and Shorn355 like this.
  17. LMP

LMP Karting

Aug 11, 2022
    Florida
    I had a 458 spider nice car ! Got rid of it within a year brakes where awful especially at high speeds!
    Gotta learn how to scrape the burnt of the toast lol

Divexxtreme and Fortis like this.
  18. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    This is not a battery thread or hybrid vs ICE thread- God knows there is plenty of that chatter- and I'm happy to debate "bricked" on a Hybrid vs a charge or worst case a NOCO jump start on ICE on another thread - but...

This thread is about trying to make an SF90 SOUND like a 458 with aftermarket exhaust- My only point in my original response was a) that's impossible and b) you're potentially signing up for a bunch of additional drama if you try to mod out an SF90- And given the FIVE PAGES of SF90 owners in the thread I posted it is a real thing.

Let's get back to the point- Can the OP make and SF90 SOUND like his 458? I say no-

19. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    Take a look at my original response in post #4. Think we both agree on the sound part. However, you were the one that took it off course in post #5 and threw in the SF90 being problematic and being bricked. No one had had mentioned anything except for sound until you took a couple of shots that had nothing to do with sound. Can’t now claim that only sound should be discussed as if that was the case you could/should have left out the bricked problems.

Also agree there are way too many threads about batteries, bricked cars, etc. also agree that SF90 will never sound like a 458.

Divexxtreme, Fortis and Lukeylikey like this.
  20. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Sure- And agree - but the "shots" I took were simply that the cars were already sketchy- evidenced by the 5-page thread- So modding one to get it to sound like a 458 just exacerbates the potential problems

I provided the 5-page thread on bricked SF90s for anyone interested

Cheers

21. 458 sounds like crap.

There, I said it.

22. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Just flicked through the 5 page thread. About 6 cars affected in three years, excluding a couple of “my mate had a bricked car…”. Of the 6, one was due to a faulty hood latch and another was transmission (which could happen to any of the non hybrids too.) The rest is just chitter chatter about the same cars with various people claiming this justifies their decision not to buy among other comments.

I know of four cars, including our two with 6,000 miles between them. One is a 2021 early car and one is a 2023 car. Not a single issue on either car, nor the two others I know of. I asked the dealer tech about all the problems with SF90 and received a blank look. “What issues?”

No doubt there are cars with issues but it seems like a set narrative to me, reinforcing a view that traction battery in a Ferrari = unreliability. I don’t think this car is any different in reliability terms to the others. And it is miles better than the 360/430 series (I had both) which remains by far my worst Ferrari reliability experience and I don’t hear people saying “don’t buy those because they’ll let you down.”

Many prejudiced agendas at play IMO.

23. LMP

LMP Karting

Aug 11, 2022
    Florida
    Does anyone recall 458 recall? According to Ferrari, the glue securing the wheel arch lining and heat shield can melt and deform when under high operating temperatures. When this comes into contact with the exhaust, "the glue can smoke and the wheel arch liner can ignite".And also brake defect ! And yes I owned a 458 & Spyder:) I don’t recall telling friends or anyone to avoid it :)

Divexxtreme, Lukeylikey and Fortis like this.
  24. Fortis

Fortis Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    Fortis
    Then you would've hated my F355 because that's how it ended up.

25. Fortis

Fortis Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    Fortis
    Thank you! I have a lot of miles on mine, aside of the Bluetooth not working, dealer fixed it with a software update, I have had zero issues.

I hate when people stereotype and regurgitate garbage without first hand knowledge and experience, most of us come to these boards for information delivered by real owners with real experience, most valuable kind of information you can get, when this information is getting tainted by nonese spewed by members with an agenda it does a disservice to the community and it is annoying to say the least.

Divexxtreme and LMP like this.