Black versus silver- f12 rims | FerrariChat

Black versus silver- f12 rims

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by lukek, Apr 24, 2024.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    I am not ready to post an advert yet, but I decided to switch from my black wheels to standard / silver / star Ferrari ones. It is a subjective preference, and for my red car in San Francisco, CA.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login . I will see if the wheels I had purchased from the recycler are in good shape (UPS-willing), and then swap them out. The vendor has offered to take my black wheels, but only for $800, and they pay for shipping.
    Maybe there is someone here who wants to switch to black wheels? They will come with stock tires that are probably 20-25% worn, maybe useful for street or spare set for track.
    I am feeling lazy and will probably return them to the vendor unless someone wants to call dibs here.

2. JJ77

JJ77 Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2020
    forstephan, Fangio5, jm2 and 7 others like this.
  3. Denton

Denton Rookie

Apr 1, 2023
    Fangio5, jm2, Wheels1 and 9 others like this.
  4. sfcarguy

sfcarguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 9, 2018
    Earth
    Silver all day. Contact @mathewr he'll probably give you a much better deal on some brand new wheels and maybe give you more for your black ones than whatever the recycler is giving you.

jm2, lukek and Caeruleus11 like this.
  5. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    +1 silver. I do like back rims on a yellow car though. or with rosso scuderia

lukek likes this.
  6. montegoblue

montegoblue Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    East TN
  7. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    any decent wheel shop can refinish the wheels for around 1000

lukek likes this.
  8. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    thanks. I also wanted the classic star design, as opposed to the techno style of my black ones, so it was easier to just get new ones. My price after trade and shipping was about a grand.

9. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
  10. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    If you’ve bought the standard silver star alloys, they’re worth peanuts (even new sets) because nobody wants them and they weigh a ton (as they’re cast). You can pick them up new for around $2,500 or used for $1,500.

The set you’re looking to trade for a measly $800 is forged and the most lightweight and desirable option for the F12. A new set is $8000 (yes, I got the extra zero right) and they trade used for around of $3-4k.

lukek and 350MH83 like this.
  11. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
  12. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  13. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    Thank you for letting me know I was being bamboozled. Maybe I should just repaint the current black forged wheels silver and I would get the best of both worlds? I can keep the silver star cast set I had bought as spares. I had paid around $1500 with shipping, so not an amount that would save a village.

Otherwise I do not really drive the car so close to the limit as to tell the difference in weight between cast and forged, but the strength might be material for my California potholes.

ANOpax likes this.
  14. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    RamsHmb likes this.
  15. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    If you like the shape and look of the cast star alloys, put them on the car and either keep the forged wheels as spares or in reserve for when you sell the car (it’ll make it easier to sell).

lukek likes this.
  16. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
  17. montegoblue

montegoblue Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    East TN
    Luke finally got around to installing the IPE exhaust you sold to me a few months back -- wow! Highly recommended, transformed the car.

lukek likes this.
  18. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    Good to know, thanks! I got busy modifying my Alfa 4c Spider and left the F12 alone and pretty much stock!

19. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

I think it looks better! The recycler only sent me the rims (misunderstanding, but I just put my tires onto the sliver rims). Gone is the shapeless black donut, where it is not clear where the rims and tires begin and end. I have decided to keep the forged rims in the basement. Thanks for all the intel feedback in this thread.

And the Ford Explorer Interceptor in the background is not indicative of me getting in trouble. It is my retired cruiser, piloted by my GF to pick up the original wheels for storage.

ANOpax and jm2 like this.
  20. Denton

Denton Rookie

Apr 1, 2023
    Looks much better in silver, but i like the black wheels better. Might consider just refinishing the black ones.

lukek likes this.
  21. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    Understood.
    I thought about it, but the extra expense and time of refinishing, non-original end result, and the fact that the forged wheels are a PIA to clean after a spirited drive----made me put on the cast star wheels....and stick the black forged ones in storage