512TR wiring harness question | FerrariChat

512TR wiring harness question

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by rumen1, Mar 31, 2024.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    So my speedo stopped working. After some investigation my mechanic discovered, that one of the wires, that goes from the speedo to the speed sensor (I think it was the one returning the signal) is disconnected somewhere. The problem is, that somewhere in the car it changes color. Starts from red/white and ends in brown, I think. Obviously the signal goes through several connectors.

My question is does anyone know where the wiring harness goes through the cabin. I assume all the wires go through the central console and not through the sills, but still I thought it will be better to ask before start disassembling.

2. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    Is the odometer still working?

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #3 Rifledriver, Mar 31, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2024
    Between the 2 fuel tanks, through and down the fire wall and under the console to either the footwell, instrument panel or the fuse box. I have taken them out. Its a lot of work.

I would double check the color change. Most failures happen at connectors and none of the connectors is buried. The one under the coolant tank is a constant source of problems.

Sorry, that routing is for TR. Not sure if its same for 512. I know all engine management cables go through the firewall just in front of AC compressor but doubt if that applies for other cables.

TR512 harnesses were made by a then new contractor and were not as high quality. They suffered many inline failures so problems were not mostly confined to the connectors. I have repaired many mid harness failures. The so called "Cable multipliers" just a big crimp connector creating a branch for more component connections and those are very problematic and can be located anywhere.

rumen1 likes this.
  4. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    #4 rumen1, Mar 31, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2024
    No, both the speedo and the odometer are not working. We have discovered the problem for sure, as the wire is clearly dead, but we need to find where exactly the problem is. For sure it is not on the first connector, that connects the whole instrument cluster, so it is somewhere after that.

Thank you very much. Very useful. We will start digging in the following days.

Since we removed and disassembled the instrument cluster anyway, I asked him to change the capacitors both on the speedo and the rpm meter, since they were dry as hell. Seems, that some of the parts used were definitely not first class, exactly as you mentioned.

5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Look around the back left side of engine compartment.. over and behind wheel

6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    check if you have 12 V + at the instrument. both meters get different signals. so I think it is a problem of then 12 V +

what wire?

7. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    One of the wires, that goes into the speed sensor.

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    If the dead wire in question happens to go through a "cable multiplier" that could be an issue. When the harness was manufactured the crimp connector called cable multiplier were often over crimped partially fracturing the wire. Over time it can break completely. Bad news is you never know where they are. The diagram "may" give you a general idea.

9. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    @rumen1

Here's the wiring diagram:

https://www.dropbox.com/t/5aSxQnjR5VW3YRGW

I would confirm which wire is faulty first. Check for 5 volts at the sensor with the ignition on. I don't see a wire colour change in the diagram (maybe on the short section at the sensor?)

Break the circuit into sections and do continuity checks. Apart from the main connector 41042, possibly under the dash, there should be an engine accessories connector under the left hand bank intake ducting (41019).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Apart from the odometer, are you getting any check engine lights on the dash? The speedo sends vehicle speed data to the RH Engine ECU.

Are you thinking of the Testarossa, Joe? I believe the speedo/odometer are on the same instrument on the TR.

rumen1 likes this.
  10. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    #10 turbo-joe, Apr 18, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2024
    sure they are, but both need continuous 12 V. and those not coming from the sensors

not have the wring diagram in mind, but normaly the meters get 12 V plus and from the sensors impuls with minus. may be it is vice versa?

11. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Not sure what you mean, Joe.

I thought you might be talking about the earlier cars which had the odometer in a different spot. From what I can see, the instrument gets 12 volts on the green/white wire.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The instrument then seems to send power to sensor and the sensor sends back the speed to the instrument. The signal goes to the gauge, but if I recall correctly, the instrument processes the signal and then sends it to the odometer and to the engine ECU.

12v power failure or sender failure can cause both speedo and odo to fail.

12. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    that is why I have written check if you have 12 V plus at the instruments

13. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    #13 rumen1, Apr 20, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2024
    Ian, thank you very much for the info and the diagram. I have no check engine lights. I haven't written here, because we still don't have a resolution. My mechanic said, that he has traced things and discovered, that the problem is somewhere between the ECU wiring harness section between the passenger seat and the sensor (if I have understood correctly), so if that's the case, at least no disassembling of any interior parts will be needed, which is good. Next week he will have more time for my car, so I hope he will get to the bottom of this.

As soon as we have a resolution I will let you guys know. Thank you all again for your help, you are all great.

Qavion likes this.
  14. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Thanks for the update. Please let us know if your tech finds the issue.

rumen1 likes this.
  15. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Oh wait, I forgot the best part... man, I totally forgot this! You asked me about check engine light and I said I don't have any and I totally forgot why that is. When we disassembled the speedo for inspection at the beginning I decided it is a good idea to make a complete renovation of everything, change capacitors, see for any bad solders and also replace all bulbs. So guess what - both bulbs for both check engine lights have been removed. :)

And this is a swiss car... So we will see what happens when I start driving the car again, this time WITH bulbs for the check engine lights :)

Qavion likes this.
  16. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    A squirrel is just a rat with better PR.

:)

rumen1 likes this.
  17. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    My mechanic told me that he definitely saw a problem inside the connector from Ian's picture, so the problem is there 99.9%. Now he just needs to re-assemble the speedo and mount it to test everything.

Qavion likes this.
  18. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I believe euro 512yr did not come with bulbs in the check engine slots. Only US cars! The euro cars are missing the self diagnosis buttons next to the motronic 2.7 ecu’s.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

rumen1 likes this.
  19. ants2au

ants2au Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2003
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    same on the Australian delivered as well.
    I just put bulbs in them, works a treat..

20. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    Swiss cars differ from euro cars in some aspects.

21. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    My car was Italian delivery

22. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    His car is Swiss.

Not sure what the diffs are.

23. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Well, that definitely explains things if that's the case. Maybe these years there were not many (if any) differences for the models for the whole European market (I count Swiss also in that category).

24. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
  25. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    looking at the diagram, you need part 50 and 51 to enable the check engine lights. Then you have to put bulbs in the instrument panel.