car design thread | Page 722 | FerrariChat

car design thread

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by jm2, Oct 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    They have to justify their decision.:rolleyes: Of course they'll say it's better.

330 4HL likes this.
  2. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    I should add that it lets the assorted non-Design suits wander around and see what is not the topic of discussion so they can provide unwanted opinions and directives prematurely.

Schultz, 330 4HL and jm2 like this.
  3. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Now that right there is the first original design Ive seen in quite some time. That is awesome. 10/10

Schultz, 330 4HL and jm2 like this.
  4. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    The “old guy still has it”

5. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Yeah, seems like a lot of responsibilities but I don't think being a CMF designer is a heavy lift. Develop the color pallet, put together swatches of interior materials, stuff like that. It's not like they have to crank out a bunch of sketches all day.

I suppose the salary is, I don't know, $100k-$150k depending.

330 4HL likes this.
  6. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    i think i can do that.

7. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Whenever i see a job opening in a big corporate environment, my first thought is the challenging part isnt doing the actual job its navigating the politics.

For example I have many clients but the biggest companies make everything 10x as difficult as they need to be navigating politics and personalities.

jm2 likes this.
  8. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Exactly. As I've learned along the way, anytime you get 3 or more people working /collaborating on something you are going to have politics. Corporate America, higher education (thais can be the worst), Government, the Military, etc.,etc.

tritone, G. Pepper and anunakki like this.
  9. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    #18034 jm2, Apr 19, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2024
    Disclaimer: this is design related, but personal. This week I lost a very close personal friend of 47 years. We worked together since 1977 and remained friends through many ups and downs as life tends to be. As a cathartic act in dealing with all kinds of emotions, I want to give a tribute to one of the most talented fine artists and talented designers I have come to know over my 50 years in the business. I consider his skillset and talent to be at the top of the creative talent pyramid. Rather than droning on, I thought I would post a small sample of his work as a picture is indeed worth 1000 words. Thank you for indulging me.

Andrew (Andy) J. Hanzel 1948-2024. Cleveland Institute of Art; Design/Fine Arts Degree. 34 years designing cars at General Motors, 10 years University professor Transportation/Product Design.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Andy is in the middle
    Celebrating my birthday
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Schultz, 330 4HL, anunakki and 7 others like this.
  10. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Love that Aurora with the front fender skirts!

330 4HL and jm2 like this.
  11. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  12. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Let me change your mind! Unfortunately the Crown is the best thing Toyota has going for it at the present time. And that bronze color is wonderful.

Just got a teaser article from the Lexus fan bois about the 2025 Toyota Camry and the Camry sucks badly. The front end looks like it ran off the road and thru a fence or something.

The fan bois are probably trying to imagine what a Lexus ES-350 would look like, so hope remains.

Anyway, the most engine one can get on a Toyota in the future will be a 4-cylinder Turbo! I hate Turbos, so I probably won't ever be buying a Toyota again.

The Lexus version of a Crown might also turn out OK, too. And I'm thinking Lexus might retain some 6-cylinder engines, too. The 2025 Lexus ES is thought to resemble the 2021 Tokyo Concept Car as the car has been carry-over since MY 2018. Hypothetical renderings:

330 4HL, Tenney and jm2 like this.
  13. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Lexus is still horrible, Toyota ain't too bad.

14. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    furmano likes this.
  15. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    File this under Oprah's "Everybody can be a Designer!"

New version of PhotoShop utilizing AI with text to make revisions. Video is rather impressive.

Tenney, jm2 and Schultz like this.
  16. Schultz

Schultz Karting

Mar 9, 2014
    Midwest
    They already announced another special edition in Japan!

the Crown Crossover Landscape arrives for 2024 with a roughly one-inch lift, and it's fitted with tough-looking 18-inch wheels shod in 245/60 all-terrain rubber. There's also beefier wheel arches in a matte finish with exposed rivets, and red mud flaps are tacked on behind all four wheels.

The Landscape also comes standard with a tow hitch, capable of pulling up to 1653 pounds. All Landscapes are painted in Urban Khaki, a neat light green hue, with gloss black accents on the hood, trunk, and door trim. There are also rear fog lights on either side of the license plate.

For those who want to go all-in on the outdoorsy look, Toyota is offering its Japanese customers a roof rack, shown here loaded up with gear. The cabin is mostly unchanged, but a black trim piece on the dashboard features neat "Landscape" branding etched in, with the A's represented by mountains.

17. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Amazing!

330 4HL likes this.
  18. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    OK, I’ll have to fess up, that front end is :eek:

Jeff Kennedy and Schultz like this.
  19. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    My understanding is that there are actually 4 variants of the Crown in Japan. One model trim is called something like "Ultimate"and is much better looking than what the USA gets.

Variants:

Schultz and jm2 like this.
  20. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    unthoughtful, inelegant mash-up of design cliches -

Taking the three posts we have on this series of Crown models in one, it's hard to take this 'crossover' seriously.
    Toyota's Crown is traditionally its top of line model.
    Among the many gripes I have with this; why tack on a lift kit and cliche plastic tire shrouds (affixed with 'tough looking' rivets) and mud flaps?
    "Gloss black" hood to evoke rallying images without understanding that there was a reason that they were flat black to reduce glare?
    Why use the (sort of) 4 door sedan when it's clear there is an estate in the line up?? That surf board looks uncomfortably tight!

Is there a new Mad Max moviie coming to Tokyo??

Schultz, energy88 and jm2 like this.
  21. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I just can't get over the black plastic rear end of the Crown. It looks like they started at the front, got bored of designing the car, and handed it over to production to just fill on the rear, with molded black plastic being the cheapest way they could finish it off. It really ruins the appeal of the whole car.

All the best,
    Andrew.

jm2, 330 4HL and energy88 like this.
  22. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    And then there's this!

330 4HL, tritone, energy88 and 2 others like this.
  23. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Everyone in the studio and throughout Design's management ranks should be embarrassed over this! It is so bad it makes a Juke look well resolved. Is there an emoji for puking one's guts out?

330 4HL and jm2 like this.
  24. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    jm2 likes this.